First Flip - before and after - with numbers - Louisiana

First Flip - before and after - with numbers - Louisiana

Ruston, LA · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 53 votes

Hey everybody! I purchased my first flip house back in August of 2016. I held this house way longer than I anticipated due to a full time job, other side businesses, and life being really busy! I contracted out 75% of the work and only did minor things myself such as Demolition, hauling off 15 trailer loads of limbs and brush from the yard, doorknob installs, etc.  

I actually bought the house from a guy who lived out of State. We never met, we only ever texted and never even talked on the phone. He signed the documents from out of state and the lawyer handled everything. The owner hadn't even been to the house in probably 5 years. Diamond in the rough. I'll never find another one this good in my lifetime. I had just bought the house next door as a rental so I got his number from the previous owner. 

A few of major upgrades: Roof replaced, windows replaced, fascia and soffit replaced, floors refinished, paint throughout every square inch of house, kitchen reconfiguration, cabinet doors, all lights replaced, ceramic tile added to office, laundry, and kitchen. Old storage room converted into office. Back deck replaced. Outlets upgraded, all new appliances, all new doors and hardware inside and out.

ROUGH Numbers

Purchase -               80k 
Repairs -                  50k
Closing, legal, etc      7k
Financing                 10k 

Contract Price - $187,500

Profit - $40k

26Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 940 posts · 695 votes
9y

@Brent Causey - AWESOME!!  Congrats!  It looks fabulous!

See this reply in the discussion

70 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 940 posts · 695 votes
    9y

    @Brent Causey - AWESOME!!  Congrats!  It looks fabulous!

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    9y

    @Brent Causey - Awesome work and outstanding results for your first flip! Even though you think you'll never find another one like this I bet you will and you'll come close to the same results. The saying goes the harder you work the luckier you get. I truly believe that. Getting started at real estate can be challenging and that's why so few people successfully break into it...but once you start having success and sharing that success more people want to be around you and do business with you. 

    Congrats again and best of luck on the next one!

  • Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    9y
    Great work!😊👍
  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    Awesome, congrats. !!!

  • Ruston, LA · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 53 votes
    9y

    Thanks!

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    9y

    how did you only have 7k in soft costs if it "took you way longer than you thought"? insurance/taxes/utilizes.  also $7k sounds really low with real estate commissions and title costs on both sides; plus, any buyer closing cost credits? idk how your state works but here, those don't fly. :)

    home looks great.

  • Ruston, LA · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 53 votes
    9y

    @Scott W. -   My utils ran about $65/month. No realtors were involved on the purchase and I only paid 2% when I sold as a referral as I listed it by owner. Insurance was $30/month. Taxes were $1200 for the year.  Closing costs were about 4k when I first bought it.  I think I had about 7500 in Quickbooks when it was all said and done. 

  • New to Real Estate · Las Vegas · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Congrats!!

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Good Job.

    The "deal of the century" usually comes around every couple of months for those that are looking for them.

  • Realtor · Urbana, OH · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Happy 1st Flip! Great job!

  • Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2014 · 200 posts · 56 votes
    9y

    @Brent Causey - Great job- makes all of the sacrifices worth it. 

  • El Paso, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    First time in this forum, trying to learn the tricks of the trade.  I have never attempted to flip a home but hope to find guidance amongst you'll.  

  • El Paso, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Beautiful job on the reno!  

  • Opelousas, LA · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Really nice job!!!!
  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Brent Causey, What else is there to say that our fellow colleagues have not already said other than to give a GR8 big congrats where a congratulations is due!  WOW, outstanding job man keep up the good work and thanks so much for sharing with us your success!  Keep on keeping on!

  • Investor · Shakopee, MN · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 60 votes
    9y

    It looks amazing, thanks for sharing!  Truly inspiring :D 

  • Ruston, LA · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 53 votes
    9y

    Thanks y'all. It was a lot of fun. I look forward to doing more. 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Great Job!! and Its really inspiring.. these numbers make me want to go outside of Los Angeles so bad to invest.. 

  • Charleston, WV · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 37 votes
    9y
    Looks great. Did you paint the wall tile in the bathroom or replace?
  • Laveen, AZ · Member since 2016 · 584 posts · 528 votes
    9y

    @Brent Causey you should have left the circus-colored ceiling fan, would have scored another 5k. Just kidding, good job man!  I like how you saved on paying out commission, are you an agent or did you read up on listing and selling yourself?

  • Realtor · Crete, IL · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    That is awesome ! Congratulations on a wonderful flip! 

  • Developer · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 79 votes
    9y
    Was this in Ruston? I'm from Monroe and I'm a little surprised this ranch style got a 187k contract price. I definitely didn't think prices had gotten that good
  • Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Wow good work! 

  • Ruston, LA · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 53 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rodney Sums:

    @Brent Causey you should have left the circus-colored ceiling fan, would have scored another 5k. Just kidding, good job man!  I like how you saved on paying out commission, are you an agent or did you read up on listing and selling yourself?

     Haha, Well, I decided the fan was so nice I would hang it in my living room at home! 

    I am not an agent. I listed it online and had multiple full asking offers the first day and a contract within 24 hours of showing the house. I let a realtor bring a buyer but I did not "list it".  I just have a hard time writing a check for $11,000 to a real estate agent when I knew this house would sell itself.  I paid the realtor a little less than 2%.  

  • Ruston, LA · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 53 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Wes Johnson:

    Was this in Ruston? I'm from Monroe and I'm a little surprised this ranch style got a 187k contract price. I definitely didn't think prices had gotten that good

     Wes - Yes in Ruston. Actually had an offer of $192 within 24 hours. Appraisal didn't hold up to that due to the neighborhood and area so we settled on 187,5. There's a housing shortage in Ruston. You can't find anything decent for less than 150k. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.