The Occupants from Hell!

The Occupants from Hell!

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes

I am currently dealing with some occupants (who are no more than squatters) and getting them out so I can get in and start the rehab has been a daunting process. Typically, I get them out with cash for keys and it is never easy, but usually effective.

In this case, I purchased the property (practically stole it on price and terms)Feb 28th of this year and am still working on getting these morons out. I offered them $6k! for keys and they did not take it. I started eviction and they have used every tactic in the book to cause delays and extend the process. On the final hour before the summary judgement hearing, one of the two occupants filed for BK causing another 45 day or so delay. Unfortunately in CA, the laws, for some stupid reason, reside with occupants and not the legal owners. (I wont even get started on politics here!)

The good news is that I was able to have summary judgement against one of the occupants and already filed for the Sherriff to remove her from the premises. Should be within the next week or so for that. The kicker is that once it happens, her boyfriend still has rights to be there (until he is finally evicted) so I am quite sure she will just come right back. When that happens, I will make damn sure I make their lives as miserable as possible for the problems they have caused me. How can I do that legally you might ask? I will have periodic visits to the property and when I see she is there, I will call the Sherriff and inform them that she is illegally trespassing on my property and I want her removed/arrested. I will do this as many times as it takes until they get the point or until summary judgement against him occurs. Either way, screw them both!!! :roll:
What comes around goes around and theirs is coming.

***Update as of today 1-31-16: 5 years and 32 thread pages later, this is still ongoing. The following link was created by a BP Member in support of my situation found on page 32 of this thread. https://www.gofundme.com/OccupantsfromHell

This was approved by the heads of BP to be live in this thread. ***

23Reply
8,269 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Member since 2011 · 29 posts · 40 votes
15y

I knew a guy who was a landlord, he had a girl want to overstay, her tenancy, so he paid two
really big guys to show up and start unloading a van full of stuff, he just told her.
It may take 90 days to kick you out, but, it will also take you 90 days to kick these guys out,
and, if you want to sleep in the same apartment with them, that's fine, but, otherwise, start packing.

She packed up, and the big guys helper her get her furniture out.

she never figured out the big guys were movers.

See this reply in the discussion

838 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    So no court today. A judge from the courthouse where my case s being heard was struck and killed by a car and the funeral is today. My judge is attending and thus, judge rescheduled for next Thursday. This is just one of about a hundred delays though this one was not caused by the occupants. None the less, the occupants have been fortunate on a number of occasions where delays have occurred to their benefit without them having to use any number of their own delay tactics.

    The idiot opposing attorney tried getting the judge to move it into March and the judge said no way, nice try. So on to next Thursday it is.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Will Barnard:

    The idiot opposing attorney tried getting the judge to move it into March and the judge said no way, nice try. So on to next Thursday it is.

     So, that seems to me that the judge is on to them, which is a good sign

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    Good Luck today @Will Barnard!

  • Investor · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    Waiting for some good news.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    I bet many of you are on pins and needles waiting for good news, so was I and I did not think it existed anymore. 

    I was proven wrong today, unlawful detainer awarded to plaintiff, Barnard Enterprises, Inc along with a financial judgement that I will likely not see much if any of since a vast majority will be wiped out in the BK cases. That said, it is not the financial award I was after, it was possession and today, just 3 days short of 5 years (that's right FIVE YEARS) I was victorious.

    Documents will be filed with the clerk tomorrow, I then wait 10 days, then another few days for mailing (unless I get lucky and get to pick it up) and with that, I can contact the Sherriff to remove them. That could be a few days or a few weeks depending on how quickly the Sherriff department moves on my case.

    For the first time in 5 years, I walked out of court with a smile on my face, but I was not very exuberant as I was in a bit of a state of shock.

    More to follow . . . .

  • Investor · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    Congrats. :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Gibsonia, PA · Member since 2013 · 828 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    Woohoo congrats

  • Real Estate Lender · Pt Hueneme, CA · Member since 2012 · 110 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    Congratulations!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Glad to hear there is an end in sight!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
    10y

    Finally some good news! Congrats. 

  • Freedom, ME · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 1 vote
    10y

    woohoo!! Congrats! 

  • Marc RamsayPro Member
    Investor · Ojochal, Costa Rica · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 164 votes
    10y

    Make sure you get some video you can post of the Sheriffs removing them! And of a walk-through of the unit...

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 71 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    I've been following this thread since I signed up. I'm happy you received good news finally.

  • Investor · El Paso/Socorro, TX · Member since 2012 · 365 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    I would like to add my congratulations. I have actually read every post of this sad story. If I didn't already have 4 foreclosures, I may have been scared away from buying any! I would like to see a video of the removal day also.

  • Investor · Lakefield, MN · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    sweet

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    10y

    @Will Barnard... Wow. I, like many of the other readers, have been emotionally invested in the story for years. I am glad to hear that you were finally victorious. I can't wait to see pictures!!! 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Awesome news!    Finally the  gears in the legal system are turning forward and not spinning in place!!  You deserve a  perseverance award!

  • Lake Jackson, TX · Member since 2013 · 119 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    I would  have done it gangsta  style........

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    So happy for you!!!! Keep us posted!!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Awesome!

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Will Barnard

    Very good news!   My son turns five tomorrow and, remembering your anniversary is only a couple of days later, I was stopping in to see if you would be celebrating this year ... and it looks like you'll be having cake as well.

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    10y

    @Will Barnard, my heartfelt congratulations. It's been a long journey.

    Deborah

  • Investor · DMV Maryland · Member since 2013 · 867 posts · 370 votes
    10y

    Congratulations, Will!!  After the shocks wears off and they are finally GONE... I'd  love to read the play by play of what happened in court today.   I really think you could write a book about this saga.

  • Investor · Cary, NC · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    5 years! You persevered Will, I am sure I would have fallen apart! Enjoy your victory, you deserve it. Funded your GFM account, have a go with the sledgehammer for me!

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bob E.:

    The Link Should now be working:

    Donate Here

    I am happy to report that Will has his first donation!

    Bob

     Just a reminder in case anyone missed it but the link to contribute to help cover Wills' expenses is above.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.