The Best Before/After Photos!! (Post Yours, Too!)

The Best Before/After Photos!! (Post Yours, Too!)

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Hey everyone! To celebrate the new ability to upload photos easily here on the forums, I'd like to start a "before/after" thread here on the site so people can post their favorite transformations!

This is YOUR time to show off!

To upload a photo, simply click the little "picture icon" above a new message box!

For the purpose of this thread- simply upload a before picture, followed by an "after" picture! You can talk about the transformation as well, if you want to, or just add the photos. It's up to you!

Also - feel free to ask questions or leave comments on people's photos! Let's see how big and epic we can make this thread :)

(The best transformation photos we'll be sharing on Facebook!)

I'll kick things off with one of my all time favorites (which came from the house I flipped several years ago - I talk about in my article "How NOT to Flip a House")

My favorite part of this entire flip was the travertine tile medallion in the floor. I got it on clearance at Home Depot for $50 and it totally took that kitchen to a new level. Also - you'll notice we opened up that wall on the left, which was a HUGE undertaking that blew my budget by $5k alone (there were 2 load bearing walls right there. Probably not the best decision, but it sure looked cool!)



What's your favorite Before/After transformation? Leave your photos and comments below!

8Reply
686 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Huntersville, NC · Member since 2011 · 63 posts · 36 votes
13y

FUN TIMES!

See this reply in the discussion

129 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Miamisburg, OH · Member since 2014 · 161 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    Here's the last house I just finished.

    Before.......

    After.......

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Miamisburg, OH · Member since 2014 · 161 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    Here's another one.

    Before.....

    Here's a nice before and after collage.

  • Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2009 · 259 posts · 183 votes
    11y

    Property location: Boise ID

    Investor's location: Silicon Valley CA
    Purchase price: $252,000
    Renovation & holding costs: $72,000
    Total investment: $324,000
    Selling price: SOLD for $350,000
    ($0 closing costs, $0 sales comm. $0 sales expenses.)

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    I love this thread! Here's a 4-Plex I rehabbed last year. It was a big project and I learned so much! This property has proven to be quite profitable and it attracts great tenants. Thus far, it's been an enjoyable land to lord. ;)

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 164 votes
    11y

    Thought I'd show the progress of the same area over the course of the project.

    House Hack #1: Turn 1000 sqf basement into modern 2/1 basement rental.

    Total Time = 12 months (I did a lot of the work and so this is the culmination of a lot of evenings and weekends.)

    Total Cost = 35K

    Day 0

    Day 75

    Day 90

    Day 150

    Day 175

    Day 225

    Day 350

  • Real Estate Investor · Forest Grove, OR · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    Here is a personal project I did years back when I was just starting out. Bought this small cottage and renovated it for my Grandma to live in. Spent about 12k doing the entire house, including air conditioning/heating, as the place only had a wood burning stove.

    Took about 3 months of every Saturday/Sunday, but did almost everything myself.

  • Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    Robert, how do you decide whether to flip the property of keep it as a rental?

    Originally posted by @Robert Steele:

    Frisco TX

    It started out as a flip but I have kept it as a rental.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    it was a 1950's rancher/modern on a corner lot with a few big (protected) trees. 

    We had to keep the original foundation/footprint in order to be grandfathered.

    We built a duplex about twice the size of the original home.

    Each side is close to 1900SF

    Kitchens sell homes

    Bathrooms help sell, too. 

    This is in east Austin. Sold for about 900k a few months ago. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 39 votes
    11y
    You did such a great job! Love it. 

    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:

    it was a 1950's rancher/modern on a corner lot with a few big (protected) trees. 

    We had to keep the original foundation/footprint in order to be grandfathered.

    We built a duplex about twice the size of the original home.

    Each side is close to 1900SF

    Kitchens sell homes

    Bathrooms help sell, too. 

    This is in east Austin. Sold for about 900k a few months ago. 

  • Investor · Lucas, TX · Member since 2010 · 620 posts · 352 votes
    11y

    @Sarah Harris

    Well when I went to sell it I calculated only $17K profit for a 2 month flip ($50K invested). I figured I could get that much from rent in a little over 2 years (I was already an experienced landlord). I've had it now for 5 years and it has made a lot more than $17K. I rented it for $1,650 and now rent is $1,950.

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    11y

    @Robert Steele

    What is the story behind the house? A foot of water and the owners walked without attempting to dry out and 3 months later after foreclosure mold is everywhere?  Why is the mold so high up the bathroom wall? Would it have been a 50k rehab regardless of prompt action?  Just curious...such a nice, new house.

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    11y

    Please keep in mind this is a DIY.  The garden tub in the master was replaced with a narrower standard shower pan from HD.  So notice the solution was a halfwall to fill in the gap, which creates a tub length shelf (angled to prevent standing water) for shampoo etc.  The window was moved to the shower from over the toilet so a cabinet could go there for towels (window glass broken and siding rotted anyway) no idea why original floorplan wasted that opportunity...1235 sq ft 1981 house.

    The second bath had the countertop extended over the toilet for more countertop.  I moved the vanity forward and created a shelf behind the sink instead.  I wish I had remembered to order a wide short slider to install in the tub surround...light and ventilation.  These track homes cut costs everywhere...how expensive would that have been?

    All cabinets doors in house were flat  so I had a cabinet guy drill holes for european hinges--but there was barely enough thickness.  I have also just ordered new doors from cabinetdoorworld.  The kitchen is finished in General Finishes Java or Espresso or Mocha gel stain that is also a urathane finish coat.  Very pleased with the product, looks like a traditional stained cabinet.  I may have added a coat of poly for additional protection, but I am v lazy so maybe not.  Used appliances, used corian (off white color turned out to have slight pinkish cast so will not do that again, especially as floor n decor sells silestone 10" preformed for $500, granite even cheaper.)

    PS James Vermillions house is my dream house, so adorable.

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Can't seem to get the after pictures to load....

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
    11y

    Some pictures from a flip last year.

  • Tarl YarberPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 415 posts · 401 votes
    11y
  • Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2009 · 259 posts · 183 votes
    11y

    Closed about 2 hours ago!

    Property location: Decatur GA (outside Atlanta)

    Investor location: Irvine CA

    Flip profit: $62,705

    Purchase price: $189,150
    Selling price: $325,000
    Renovations & holding: $60,500

    Duration: 4 months (and 1 week)

  • Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2009 · 259 posts · 183 votes
    11y

    Property location: Tampa FL

    Investor location: Irvine CA

    Purchase price + rehab + holding: $120,000

    Net selling price (after sale expenses): $143,000

    Invested amount: $12,500

    Net profit: $19,650

    ROI: 163%

    Duration 3 months

    Purchase date: 3/24/15

    Closing date 6/26/15

    AFTER

    BEFORE

  • Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes
    11y

    I recently finished a DIY Kitchen remodel on one of my rentals.  I plan to write up how I did and costs, but until then here's a before/after picture.... 

  • Buford, GA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Nice!

    Originally posted by @Dani Beit-Or:

    Property location: Tampa FL

    Investor location: Irvine CA

    Purchase price + rehab + holding: $120,000

    Net selling price (after sale expenses): $143,000

    Invested amount: $12,500

    Net profit: $19,650

    ROI: 163%

    Duration 3 months

    Purchase date: 3/24/15

    Closing date 6/26/15

    AFTER

    BEFORE

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Before

    After

  • Deryk HarperPro Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    This was my first rehab and hold that was basically a complete cosmetic redo. Paint, flooring, appliances, light fixtures, cabinets, counters vanities, toilets, backyard landscaping you name it. 20k in rehab completed in about 2 weeks. Had multiple apps immediately and cashflows $500/month. Level of updating probably set a new standard for this community but I know I will never have issues leasing, or selling, this property for max value in the shortest amount of time.

    3BR/2BA Ranch in Alpharetta, GA. Great Schools. Swim/Tennis Community. Fenced Yard. 2 Car Garage. Purchased through MLS for about 185k Dec/2014 in multi offer situation. NOT A DISTRESSED SALE. Shocked that it appraised at 203k even before rehab. Would probably sell now in 220k to 230k range.

    We did luxury vinyl plank flooring throughout. LOVE THIS STUFF. Practically indestructible, looks great, lasts forever and only costs about $3.50/square foot installed. We always buy about 2 extra boxes. Floating floor fits together like puzzle. If a piece does happen to get damaged just have to replace that one piece instead of the whole room. Water does no damage to it. I have it in 3 of my rentals now and 4 of my client's rentals. Tenants all love it!

    Kept Pulte built cabinet boxes in kitchen and baths. Had new doors made. Added thin, stainable wood grain laminate to box exteriors and then stained all dark brown and added new hardware. Got amazing wholesale deal on high end granite at about $13/sq ft and then just had my fabricator pick it up, cut and install.

    Got majority of fixtures, faucets also at deep discount from local overstock seller.

    Wish I could find one of these a month. Oh and no renting restrictions with this HOA. Woohoo!

  • SFR Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    @Deryk Harper who is the flooring manufacturer that you mentioned above ?

  • Deryk HarperPro Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    1. @Kevin Pfeiffer we usually use lumberliquidators.com but I think there are a couple of other national liquidators that charge same price. We only use 4mm or 5mm thick product and usually pay between $1.89 and $2.19 per square foot. We have a local flooring contractor that installs for $1.50 per sq ft. Usually just a 1 day job for the size properties we have.
  • Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2009 · 259 posts · 183 votes
    9y

    Week by numbers

    3 days.
    2 Metros
    12 Active flips projects
    7 Rentals
    20 Short videos (starred by yours truly)
    5 teams visted
    3 Flights
    2 Lyft ride
    Met lots of good people and friends
    1 little taste for you to see

    https://youtu.be/Bxi5KzR6FvY

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.