• Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
Drywall Nightmare - Help Needed

Nyx Sherwin
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Posted Oct 6 2021, 14:24

Hello! Taking the jump into my first BRRR and learning a tough lesson. Many of the interior walls, particularly the exterior walls are in bad shape and I brought in a drywall crew for repairs. And a decent rain the next day most of the walls were bubbling and the drywall was still wet. It seems like water is getting into the house somehow and a new roof is going on next week. Regardless, the exterior walls are something I've never dealt with and seem to be a lot of trouble. It's a block house with plaster directly applied to the block, no vapor barrier, no framing and no drywall. I suspect water is penetrating the block and we need to get the house fired out before we try to repair interior walls but I'm still concerned that drywall mud isn't the solution. Has anyone dealt with something similar? What else should I consider?

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Oct 6 2021, 14:36

It is AAC? Autoclaved aerated concrete? You apply thin layers of plaster and allow each coat to dry. If it's plain 'ole cinderblock it'll crack and absorb like an 'ole aquarium filter, and smell like it too. Once new roof, overhangs, rain gutters... are up and protecting the structure check moisture from the ground wicking up???  Once you are sure it's not from above or below you could cover with new material making positive certain not to leave cracks where you drill in to adhere the material. What style house is this? What is neighborhood like? weather? then I can give you some ideas

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plante
  • Deland, FL
Votes |
  • Deland, FL
Replied Oct 6 2021, 14:36

Maybe post some pictures

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nyx Sherwin
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Oct 6 2021, 18:07
Originally posted by @Caroline Gerardo:

It is AAC? Autoclaved aerated concrete? You apply thin layers of plaster and allow each coat to dry. If it's plain 'ole cinderblock it'll crack and absorb like an 'ole aquarium filter, and smell like it too. Once new roof, overhangs, rain gutters... are up and protecting the structure check moisture from the ground wicking up???  Once you are sure it's not from above or below you could cover with new material making positive certain not to leave cracks where you drill in to adhere the material. What style house is this? What is neighborhood like? weather? then I can give you some ideas

User Stats

Votes
Nyx Sherwin
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Oct 6 2021, 18:16

Unfortunately it’s cinderblock and it’s from the late 1950’s in the midwest. I can confirm the house smells like an aquarium filter. I hadn’t considered the block wicking water from the ground so I’ll keep that in mind once we get the roof and gutters squared away. Also planning on prioritizing exterior paint with a drylok product for the primer coat. Any other thoughts??

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Oct 6 2021, 18:36

Paint is not going to be satisfactory long term solution. Weather doesn't always fall in straight vertical lines Email me photos, and location. I can suggest for free two or three solutions which we post here to help others. 

User Stats

Votes
Nyx Sherwin
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Oct 7 2021, 17:39
Originally posted by @Michael Plante:

Maybe post some pictures

Good call. The first few pictures aren’t exactly where we’re having the drywall issue but give the best sense for the construction. This is actually in the shower and it looks like years of water damage that had been hidden by a wood panel (OMG), that’s what you’ll see in the white and blue. The plaster wall fell away from the wall when I pulled the panel. It looks like the house is block walls coated in half inch plaster or some other type of masonry product. Ever seen something like this?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plante
  • Deland, FL
Votes |
  • Deland, FL
Replied Oct 7 2021, 17:51

go outside 

Spray water directly at the wall

Does water come inside?

If yes seal it on the outside 

Try it again 
if no spray water on the window does it come inside?

If no spray it on the roof 

Spray til you find the source of the water 

User Stats

Votes
Richard Betz
  • Contractor
  • San Diego
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • San Diego
Replied Oct 11 2021, 13:38

A product that works well to prevent moisture penetration is Xypex Concentrate.  It is applied onto damp concrete or block.  It creates crystals inside the capillaries in the concrete.  Truly an amazing product.  It can be stucco-ed over or textured.  I have used it inside and out, below grade and above.   Keeping moisture away from the exterior walls and the foundation is key. 

User Stats

Votes
Nyx Sherwin
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Apr 23 2023, 08:56

Thanks everyone for jumping in to help solve this.  Here's where this netted out. 

1) The roof was in considerably worse shape than originally believed.  Tough lesson to learn about sequencing contractors.  

2) We also sealed the exterior walls with a waterproofing paint as a primer coat prior to painting. 

It may have been overkill but it was cheap insurance to keep the property dry.  

Really appreciate the community here. 

-Nyx Sherwin, We Buy 502

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Schrader
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Dakota
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Dakota
Replied Apr 24 2023, 14:36

A couple of thoughts- that bathroom tile failing under the window seems to me strong evidence of leaking at the window and moving down the wall, whether it be from the shower or from outside.  The blistered paint toward the top of the ceilings looks to me like there's either been ice dam problems forcing leaks, or issues at the soffits.  That's where I'd start.