Paper Profits-an excellent book written by a BP member

Paper Profits-an excellent book written by a BP member

Investor · Jefferson City, MO · Member since 2013 · 309 posts · 100 votes

I just finished reading Joshua Andrew's new book Paper Profits How to Buy and Profit From Notes.  This book is one of the best written books on note investing that I have come across.  At last a book that I can share with friends and co-workers who are unaware that there are other investments options out there besides Wallstreet.  So frustrating to try to explain notes to people who have the mentality that if their financial adviser didn't recommend it to them then it must not exist!  I cannot wait to put a copy of this book into their hands.

Josh does a great job of explaining what notes are and how we can profit from them.  He also compares notes to other investments such as mutual funds, stocks, tax liens, bonds, and rentals.  He discusses how to find notes, how to buy notes at a discount, how to go about doing due diligence before purchasing notes.  The book even gives a lesson on the financial calculator for those that are not familiar with its use.  Josh also provides several case studies both good and bad about note investing. This is an excellent book for those just starting out in notes or for those who are more experienced.

For those of you who don't know, Josh is a BP member that is active on the forums.  I have to say that I am a bit prejudiced as I met Josh through the BP forums and he has been such a great resource to me throughout the years answering questions and giving me advice on note investing.  He is an inspiration to all aspiring note investors and is an all around good guy.  Great job Josh!  Your book is awesome!

7Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

Well I tend to get a group of BP'ers together for a gathering at the hotel bar at some point during the conference. Josh and I have been working together on a project for the past few months and we plan to meet at the expo to review some items as well. I look forward to seeing you and having some time to chat.

Bob

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @Sandy Uhlmann Agreed!  I just read it this past weekend.  Definitely helped give me a list of considerations I need to think through before investing in a note.  While Josh admits that the list isn't all-inclusive, I think it's a great start and will provide a solid foundation for the beginning note investor.

    You mentioned that you had also read some other books--doesn't sound like you were too crazy about any of them but would you recommend any?  Or do you have some more that are on your list to read soon?

  • Wayne SnellPro Member
    Londonderry NH & Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 174 posts · 238 votes
    9y

    Totally agree @Joshua Andrews book is terrific. I recommend it frequently!

  • Specialist · Melrose Park, PA · Member since 2013 · 167 posts · 217 votes
    9y

    Love the book!  Can't wait to run into @Josh Andrews at some note soiree soon.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y

    @Sandy Uhlmann,

    Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered it off amazon.

  • Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Gail Greenberg:

    Love the book!  Can't wait to run into @Josh Andrews at some note soiree soon.

     We all plan to meet at NoteExpo in Dallas so I hope you join us!

    Bob

  • Specialist · Melrose Park, PA · Member since 2013 · 167 posts · 217 votes
    9y

    Count me in @Bob Malecki. You and @Josh Andrews travel in a pack? I've got my tix to NoteExpo. See you in November!

  • Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Well I tend to get a group of BP'ers together for a gathering at the hotel bar at some point during the conference. Josh and I have been working together on a project for the past few months and we plan to meet at the expo to review some items as well. I look forward to seeing you and having some time to chat.

    Bob

  • Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2017 · 124 posts · 70 votes
    9y
    Bob Malecki and Gail Greenberg ...I'm all booked and reserved too! I'll be at the bar with you Bob. I'd love to meet you. Looking forward to it. PS- I hope they make a good Old Fashioned with the big ice cube! It make the drink much better, lol.
  • Real Estate Investor · Coatesville, PA 19320 · Member since 2011 · 108 posts · 178 votes
    9y
    Agreed, fantastic book.
  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    Just got an Amazon gift card last week, so I sprung for this book (paperback version) just now.  Should have it in a few days and I'm looking forward to reading it...

    Thanks for the informal reviews and I'm glad to hear positive things about it.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    New to Notes. Hungry for knowledge. Thanks for the tip. @Sandy Uhlmann

    Paul

  • Investor · Jefferson City, MO · Member since 2013 · 309 posts · 100 votes
    9y

    @Bill McCafferty I believe you were instrumental in the writing of this book.  Josh credits you with the highest honors as I believe he learned much of his wisdom from you. For those of you in BP who don't know, Bill is an asset manager who specializes in non performing seconds. Bill is a wealth of information and has been in the note world for a very long time. I am fortunate to have had the honor to connect with Bill through BP also.  His name kept coming up over and over as a great asset manager who also teaches as he manages the workout of these non-performing assets. I credit the BP forum for helping me meet both these great gentlemen.

    I guess that I should also mention Quincy Long from Quest IRA. I believe he wrote a chapter in the book on investing with a Self Directed IRA. I have never met Quincy personally and I don't know if he is a BP member or not but I do know that his name comes up time and time again in note discussions. I believe Quest IRA does a lot of educational events with a lot of its speakers being note investors. I think that they have an IRA cruise on a yearly basis.

  • Real Estate Investor · Coatesville, PA 19320 · Member since 2011 · 108 posts · 178 votes
    9y
    Thanks for compliment.
  • Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    I agree.  Great book!

  • Real Estate Investor · Amherst, VA · Member since 2015 · 386 posts · 400 votes
    9y

    The best thing about Josh is he isn't just talking about notes and using it to promote some 25k mentorship. He's actually buying them so it's first hand experience. He's working on a fund with some partners so you can PM him if that's something you'd like to know more about.

  • Glen Ellyn, IL · Member since 2012 · 95 posts · 59 votes
    9y

    This was the first book on notes I read as a burned out landlord looking for an investment alternative.  It is both informative and inspirational, and highlights why notes are such an amazing investment.  Awesome book,  @Joshua Andrews!

  • Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 211 posts · 166 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the nice words. It took some time to write and of course I had help from various sources. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the next note convention if you can make it!

    - Josh

  • Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
    9y

    Buying the book on Amazon now on the strength of these recommendations. Thanks for starting the thread Sandy!

  • New to Real Estate · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2014 · 172 posts · 66 votes
    8y

    Just picked this book up to read based on everyone's reviews.  Looking forward to reading it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.