Has anyone had any experience with PPR note co.?

Has anyone had any experience with PPR note co.?

Investor · Belvedere Tiburon, CA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 16 votes

I'm considering starting to invest in notes. I think the best and easiest way to get started is to use a servicing company. I just read Dave Van Horn's book and I'm obviously considering using his company, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with PPR note. Also, if you have any other recommendations of a servicing company for a beginner note investor I would highly appreciate them.

2Reply
187 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 823 votes
8y
PPR is an industry leader and them and Dave Van Horn are the reason I invest in notes. I am invested in their fund and they pay their solid return religiously. I find their note offerings to be on the expensive side, so have not bought anything from them. Of course, they also offer an unparalleled warranty on the notes they sell, so that is probably worth a premium.
See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • West Chester, PA · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Hi Ricardo, I'm in the same boat as you. If you do a search on BP, you'll see that there are several prior posts about PPR and you can read up on those posters' experiences.

  • Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Hi @Ricardo Fainsilber and @Steve H. PPR is not a servicing company, they are a note investment firm. I understand that they do some of their own servicing but I do not think they provide for outside clients. I've been using FCI Lender Services for about 5 years and find them to be very investor friendly, especially for newer/smaller investors. 

    Bob

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    If you use the search function there are multiple threads on this company
  • Investor · Belvedere Tiburon, CA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Thank you all.  @Bob Malecki I'll check FCI out, thanks for the tip.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    8y
    Also I would contact them to see if there funds are only accredited investors or open funds to sophisticated investors
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 823 votes
    8y
    PPR is an industry leader and them and Dave Van Horn are the reason I invest in notes. I am invested in their fund and they pay their solid return religiously. I find their note offerings to be on the expensive side, so have not bought anything from them. Of course, they also offer an unparalleled warranty on the notes they sell, so that is probably worth a premium.
  • Investor · Belvedere Tiburon, CA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    @Edward B. Thank you. Would you mind sharing what is the average return on their funds? I know they have a 10% preferred return, but what is the actual average return they pay?  Thanks again

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Ricardo Fainsilber I have not invested with PPR as much as I would like to. That being said the return they pay is your return. You have no appreciation upside potential. I believe they haven’t missed a payment since they started in 2007 or 2008. So that gives you an idea to track record
  • Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    I have invested in their funds for the past 4 years and they have never missed a payment. I highly recommend their funds.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Chris Seveney as far as I have seen and know it’s only accredited investors
  • Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 89 votes
    8y
    PPR is definitely an investment fund. I believe it’s only accredited investors thy they are taking. I only know of two funds that invest in notes and that accept unaccredited investors. Check out FCI and Security National for servicing.
  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 823 votes
    8y
    @Ricardo Fainsilber , the return they offer is your return. It was 12% when I got in and that is what they pay. Kind of hard to buy a reperforming 2nd with little equity for a realistic return if less than 12% when you can get 12% investing in a portfolio of such loans or better run by a company with a solid track record. You never get the pay off kicker, but so far you have been able to reliably bank that return. They got me into note investing and may have spoiled me to it as well.
  • Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Ricardo Fainsilber In my experience, servicers range from mediocre to terrible. I've heard this opinion echoed by a lot of other investors.

    I would suggest FCI. We're probably going to try out Madison Management and have heard good things about them from several investors. Del Toro Servicing is another one to check out but they are not licensed in all states. I think they focus more on performing/hard money loans but are small investor friendly. I would stay away from Security National (SN Servicing Corp).

  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 823 votes
    8y
    Buy and hold guys have property managers, flippers have contractors, and note investors have servicers. We all have our cross to bear.
  • Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Edward B. "No one will care for your asset as much as you do." The people that work for those necessary vendors will do their jobs but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be the best thing for you or your asset. Make sure you are paying attention....

  • Sequim, WA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    The only experience I've had with PPR is that they have not responded to my numerous attempts to contact them from their website, so I couldn't tell you anything about them other than they are most likely way understaffed. 

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Hi @Mike Cleveland,

    Apologies for the delayed response. On our end it looks like we only received communication from you on Friday. I'm going to have Peter in our Investor Relations Department reach out to you this afternoon.

    If you ever have any issues going forward, please feel free to reach out to me directly via PM. 

  • Rental Property Investor · NM · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    I contacted PPR for the first time last week and they responded promptly. 

    We set up a phone call with Peter and we had a professional and frank discussion about investing with PPR. He did a good job answering all our questions. He also followed up with some of the forms needed along with references.

    So far they have been very professional in my experience.

  • Investor · Belvedere Tiburon, CA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    @Tom Dillon That is good to hear. I contacted them and got an email form them referring me to a 3rd company that could help me get started on investing in notes and provides education, seemed odd... Why not just take me as a client directly?

  • Rental Property Investor · NM · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Ricardo Fainsilber I'm not sure. 

    But I was inquiring about the note fund. I know to invest in the fund it is required that you are an accredited investor.

    I know you can buy individual notes from them without being accredited, and they used to provide training to educate investors, but they stopped that program. So maybe they thought you where asking about individual note investing/training?

    I know they have a warranty on notes purchased through them. I'm sure it is in everyone's best interest to be doing business with as much knowledge as possible.

    Setup a phone call with them, I'm sure they will be more than happy to talk with you.

  • Investor · Belvedere Tiburon, CA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    @Tom Dillon Ok, thanks! 

  • Specialist · Piscataway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    I am invested in the PPR Note Fund.  Regular returns every month.  I like getting "mailbox money".

  • Investor · Delafield, WI · Member since 2014 · 102 posts · 73 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mark Senecal:

    I am invested in the PPR Note Fund.  Regular returns every month.  I like getting "mailbox money".


     Still getting mailbox money?

    • Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Jim Peret:
      Quote from @Mark Senecal:

      I am invested in the PPR Note Fund.  Regular returns every month.  I like getting "mailbox money".


       Still getting mailbox money?


      I have a high regard for Dave and Ppr.  Just following up to see thoughts from investors on this thread 7 years later.

    • Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Jim Peret:
      Quote from @Mark Senecal:

      I am invested in the PPR Note Fund.  Regular returns every month.  I like getting "mailbox money".


       Still getting mailbox money?


      I have a high regard for Dave and Ppr.  Just following up to see thoughts from investors on this thread 7 years later.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.