Meetups in Calgary

54 Replies

Hi Folks, I'm a Realtor in Calgary and have worked with a number of investors here from BP. I just wanted to invite you all to an investment event that I am involved in with my brokerage. The event is titled 'New construction Vs Resale investment strategies'. The free event is going is focus on the top communities for each strategy and provide everyone with some financing tips. We'll also be chatting about exclusive new construction opportunities that are available. If you're interested in attending please let me know via text or phone call (Four Zero Three, Four Seven Nine, Eight Nine Nine Zero) and I'll send you the link to register. The event takes place this Thursday - March 14th 2019 - at 6.30pm in the Cardel theatre. Stu

Hi All,

Does a meet-up make sense for everyone ? I realize the value of face to face networking but we likely live in separate quadrants of the city with different schedules and family obligations. Given these constraints, I am thinking that we shoot to get a brain trust of people together first and have some online dialogue rolling, so when we meet were more than a bunch of strangers in a room ha. 

Let me know exactly what your after and I'll start compiling a list and open up a google doc to share. If possible, be specific on what answers or resources you need.  

@Andrew Pun @Curtis Bauer @Anthony Therrien-Bernard   

@Amrinder Cheema @Stuart Bartwicki

Originally posted by @Cody Weiss :

Hi All,

Does a meet-up make sense for everyone ? I realize the value of face to face networking but we likely live in separate quadrants of the city with different schedules and family obligations. Given these constraints, I am thinking that we shoot to get a brain trust of people together first and have some online dialogue rolling, so when we meet were more than a bunch of strangers in a room ha. 

Let me know exactly what your after and I'll start compiling a list and open up a google doc to share. If possible, be specific on what answers or resources you need.  

@Andrew Pun @Curtis Bauer @Anthony Therrien-Bernard   

@Amrinder Cheema @Stuart Bartwicki

Good morning Cody, 

You are right about getting know each other here on BP but sometimes it just works better face to face (like interviews). Its just my opinion but I am open to network here before we do a meetup. 

I think that if this was a regular meetup, let's say once a month it might be easier for people to make it once in a while. There is a francophone meetup in Calgary every Thursday downtown and even though everyone lives in different areas of the city and even outside and has different schedules and obligations there is always people that make it, not always the same people or numbers but the meetup lives on and people know it's there if they happen to have free time. I'm thinking something like this might make it easier as I don't think we would ever be able to find a single date and location that works out with everyone.

Hey all!

I've actually already reached out to Cody, but I will be seeking events and opportunities in Calgary. I am attending an event tomorrow called "How to Choose the Right Investment Property for You" from 7:00-8:30pm. If you want to join, send me a PM and I'll fire off the address! I imagine it will be a good time to connect with like-minded individuals and meet some potential mentors.

Hope to see some of you there!

Hi there, I noticed this discussion thread have been going for awhile. I like to know if there is still an active meetup groups in Calgary. If so, I would like to meet some of you for network opportunities and get some knowledge. 

Please advise! Thanks. 

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Calgary!

I have been trying to sell my rental property here in Calgary and for the past few years but the market price keep decreasing where my mortgage owed = market price, currently almost no equity in there

I've considered/ tried following:

- conventional way using realtor - even though seller's realtor willing to take less commission, no guarantee that buyer's realtor is willing to do it as well.

- agreement for sale/ rent to own - fail because tenant buyer defaulted.

- no fee/ low fee realtor brokerage (commfree, 1% realty etc.) - actually they charge more than what it shows in the ad.

- direct marketing through kijiji, facebook, reach out to my real estate investor friends for direct sale or another rent to own - this is what I am doing now.

- 1% fee realtor website (bodecanada) - this is pretty new and I start to put my property there

- rent out to tenants - this is what I am doing now

My property is half duplex with illegal walk out basement suite so I rent out upstairs for $1200 and basement for $700. Tenant pays all utility. I am blessed with great tenants but I still want to sell at market price ($335K-ish) because I lost my job and I am planning to leave the country to find job elsewhere. Although I don’t have enough equity/ extra money for full commission, I am willing to give $5K max for finder's fee.

So, I am wondering if any of you can give me some suggestions of other things that I have to try? :)

Thank you in advance!

Hey all,

Rookie investor in Calgary here. Currently looking at a Duplex with two titles and it looks like I am juuuuuust short of the second mortgage. Looking to bounce ideas off anybody with experience in scrapping together financing.

Looking forward to it!
Dave

@David C Harding

Hi David.

How much are you purring down? 20%?

If you are close to qualifying, look at extending the amortization to 30 years, or paying out a few small debts to get the ratios to work for qualifying.

There are a few lenders that will grant extended qualifying ratios if you are putting 20% or more down. (the lender is key to getting the exceptions and the property)

Talk soon,

Owen

@Owen Langis

Thanks for the reply.

I am pre-approved for the first mortgage for up to $350k, which is great, and will easily secure side A, but my partner has only been approved for $270k, and asking price on side B is $319k. We are confident we can talk them down by about 10-15%, but it will still make things tight. Ideally we are putting about 12% down on side A, and 10% down on side B.

@David C Harding

I’m new to investing here in Calgary, and I’ve been working on getting my first deal set up and trying to figure out financing myself. I have been working with Nathalie Deacon with Scotiabank in Scotiabank Home Financing Solutions, and she has bee great so far in coming up with solutions to financing issues and is a real estate investor herself. I don’t have an answer for you but maybe she will, and I could get her info if you were interested.

Just let me know,

Andrew

@Narinder Bubbar is correct.

Good brokers have far more solutions for financing.

Brokers are free to use (most of the time) and have access to Big banks as well as other lenders.

Brokers have access to the best rates and solutions that your bank doesn't offer.

I know this because I am a mortgage broker who is also an investor with my own properties.

You would be amazed of the financing options available that are not offered by your bank.

I do currently work with a mortgage broker. He’s come highly recommended to me by a few people. I happen to get the feeling he’s not as investment focused as some might be, so his creative financing solutions might be lacking a bit. 

Originally posted by @David C Harding :

I do currently work with a mortgage broker. He’s come highly recommended to me by a few people. I happen to get the feeling he’s not as investment focused as some might be, so his creative financing solutions might be lacking a bit. 

May I suggest talking to a few more brokers who might be investment focused? It might talking to a few before finding the right one who can help you achieve your goal.