Investor · Vincennes, IN · Member since 2013 · 223 posts · 108 votes
Please read my post before answering willy nilly, but I was wondering why is everyone here so against paying for real estate educational information?
I will preface to say that there are quite a few hucksters selling irrelevant or even wrong information to those willing to hand over their credit card. I myself have paid for plenty of that, but for the sake of this post lets disregard them, just as we would disregard all of the slum landlords or fraudulent real estate investors out there.
To start, it seems when anyone asks about a seminar or person promoting one, the default answer is "you can find everything you need to know by reading it here." I will say this is probably the best site on the internet today for this type of information, hands down. But everything you need to know, not remotely possible.
The second thing, is that you should learn everything for free. Why shouldn't people get paid for providing useful information? The reason all of us are here is because we are looking to make money in this business. Then why wouldn't we want others to get paid, if they could help us make money? Bigger Pockets itself has paid memberships(which I gladly pay every month), not to mention ads. They need to keep the lights on and deserve to make something for doing it.
I will say there are quite a few people here that do take time to post useful information and are not generally looking for anything in return. Some do it as a form of networking and are looking for something out of it. A minority have already made something and are just looking to give back, with no need of return at all. Still I don't fathom either renting a conference room and taking 3 days of their time to share all that they know for free.
I am not pushing any guru, nor do I have a seminar to sell. I just would like to know why capitalistic entrepreneurs, such as ourselves, think educational information to advance our business and put money in our pocket, must only be free. Any thoughts?
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
12y
I have no issue with paying for information...here's what I have issues with:
- Paying more than the information is worth
- Someone giving me information who isn't qualified to give me information
- Someone who is interested in giving me just enough information to coax me into giving them more money for more information
- Someone who will happily give me information in return for a fee, and then on top of that require me to give them a percentage of my profits in addition
- Getting information that is outdated and ultimately causes me to spend MORE time learning than if I hadn't gotten the information
- Someone who will take money from a student who clearly doesn't have the ability, intelligence, drive and/or resources to be successful
I've done the math, and based on my numbers, a great real estate investor can make a lot more money than a great educator who is charging reasonable fees for the education. So, if someone is making a living purely as an educator, I have to assume at least one of the following is true:
1. The education costs more than it's worth;
2. The educator isn't very good at real estate investing;
3. The educator isn't doing it for the money.
If it's #3, great...good luck finding that person, though.
As to staying current. RE changes, rules change, laws change, markets change, but the basics of RE transactions don't change, people don't really change collectively, most laws don't change, ethics don't change nor do ways to structure deals. So, really, there isn't that much about staying current when someone just has a ton of experience. RE at this small investor level just isn't difficult for those with a good grasp of the industry. I've been helping others in various aspects locally. I don't need to buy a house, in fact I don't want one, don't need one. Everyone who truly reaches their goals in the game will usually get to the same point. Who knows, one more guy might show up to my funeral. :)
Maybe most laws don't change, but enough to cost a lot of money or get you in trouble if you don't know and don't comply.
Even after the Protecting Tenants in Foreclosure Act went into place, foreclosure message boards were filled with REI educators advising foreclosure sale buyers to ignore leases and that tenants had no tenancy rights. They kept citing laws about leases being extinguished at sale because that was true last year. They were so, so wrong. The reason they weren't up to date was because they weren't currently buying on the courthouse steps and evicting bonafide tenants so they truly weren't aware of tenant rights after foreclosure and the new law. These were well known REI educators people who sell mentorship and coaching on foreclosures for serious money.
I recommend that everyone disregard any REI educator's advice about seller financing unless you are convinced they are actively doing seller financing in compliance with Dodd Frank....and can tell you how they are doing so.
Anyone who used to do lease options in Texas knows that laws can change your business strategy.
Then there are things as annoying as using the grant deed for California that came with the course from the famous attorney REI educator over there in the Rockies, only to find that it wasn't recordable because the recording law had changed the language two years earlier. Cost me money and cost me time. Only reason it wasn't up to date was because the REI educator hadn't used it himself in the last two years.
These are just a few of the plenty of reasons to require that an REI educator be actively doing deals and/or be up-to-date.
I'm only asking or responding because you quoted me above.
I never posted anything about ignoring leases, in fact I pointed out the new 6 month requirements several times and posted the issues several times.
I suppose you suggest that as you do seller financing in Cali. I'm not sure if you are referring to me as an educator or not. I don't really address SF in Cali as to the origination requirements being way out of the main stream for the rest of the country, there's always 10% that have to be different. Each state has unique aspects but is pretty uniform in the rest of the country. I do agree that most who write about SF transactions are wrong somewhere in something. Just because someone is doing 5 SF deals a week is absolutely no indication they are doing anything right, we have people here who have been doing screw stuff for 10, 20 and 30 years who don't have a clue, the level of activity is no indication of compliance or acceptable practice or good technique much less operating in the public interest which any good business will do.
The SAFE Act and Dodd-Frank are, to me, are minor aspects that need to be dealt with. The reason they seem to be such major aspects to others here is simply the lack of understanding and inability from the lack of lending experience and training to relate the issues of these new requirements in single family transactions into the realm of seller financing and consumer financing. The way to do these is to comply, pretty simple, so advising that no one listen to anyone is pretty poor advice. I've said comply with the new restrictions at least a hundred times, I'm sure. I assume you don't have an issue with compliance, since I was quoted, I'm not sure.
Seems I also pound away at not taking anything off the internet and using it without checking it out locally first. I say that for the reasons you mentioned. There are always state and local issues that change, here as well as in other places that are automating, they recently changed the margin requirements for filings, so all (or at least many of) the old instruments became scratch paper. But then, I'm not that RE attorney promoting anything from the Rockies, if it's who I think you're talking about, I'd say don't even listen to that guy in the first place, a law degree doesn't make you a RE expert, but it's easier for one in RE to become an expert if they have a law degree. Too bad some use a Bar License to promote some poor advice, if they weren't doing that they might be chasing an ambulance. I personally know of a RE operator attorney who has about another 10 years on a 25+ sentence left in prison.
Yes, leases in Texas are really not an issue, we have some currently. Options are another matter, 6 month, renewal issues, installment sales, disguised sales are or can be issues anywhere but states are unique, especially in Texas. I've not really been addressing these matters, but I can. If we need to drill deeper in Texas, you'll find that mineral rights and title coverage can have greater issues. AZ likes their water rights, WY appears to still be doing contracts for deed in spite of the national swing toward the issues of circumventing the foreclosure process that appears to be a title matter. Please send me a dollar for each time I've said "all RE is local".
Selecting someone to listen to is much more about the scope of advice given than how many deals they have ever done, over 40 years or the past 40 or even 4 months. Doing 100 deals in the past two years is still almost no experience at all, zip, notta, it's not a determining factor as to knowledge, education, compliance, as it totally depends on what is being advised. Then, there is their location, after 100 deals in Timbucktoo, they should be very aware of how deeds get filed, they may still not have a clue how to underwrite a seller financed transaction (and I'm sure they won't), especially since no two are ever identical. An example, I did short sales before they ever got a name, now, not only is it a specialization but highly defined by law and regulation. I advised someone here last year in a SS, but turned it over to a Realtor. I don't give advice beyond my self imposed restrictions. I've done a few tax liens here, but no where else, you won't find me giving tax lien investing either.
Now, if you had not made these comments under the circumstances of quoting me, I'd probably not even reply, but it seems it's a direct implication to my posts, in which case I will respond. Not sure if that was the intent or not.
If those comments weren't applicable to my post, please disregard :)
Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y
No need for paranoia. I don't consider you an REI educator for the purposes of this discussion. I consider you a BP contributor, not someone selling course materials or coaching.
I quoted you because you said "most laws don't change.....nor do ways to structure deals". I disagree and have supporting examples of the possible dangers to others, especially newbies, who might agree with you and think anyone with plenty of RE experience is good enough to take advice from. Laws do change, deal structuring can become obsolete (or illegal). I believe the risks are greater than just wasting money on a course.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
12y
I'd say my past posts certainly bear that out, didn't mean no laws change, TILA for example has been around a long time, minor changes, but the core purpose has always been there. That's taking my comment to an extreme but yes, I agree, things do change, especially locally. Seems that if RE commissions don't change something they feel as if they can't justify their being. :)
Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
12y
@Matt B. - You know, two days ago a guy from Southwestern Consulting came to our sales meeting at the brokerage firm where my license hangs. He was selling his company's sales coaching programs. And I signed up for 6 months of training and coaching. It will only take one additional sale for me to make my money back, and I've already started learning a lot from their website without even having my first call with my coach yet. And I've already started putting some of it into practice. To me, the key to seminars, coaching, etc is the value compared to the costs. Also, the main key is this: will I actually put it to use? I am committed to improving my sales skills and I am committed to getting a positive return on my investment.
The top producer in our office right now was a pretty average (or even below average) Realtor a few years ago. He's been taking professional coaching for a year of two now, and he's now in the top 5 in our whole MLS. Another guy in my office will be signing up soon too. He's taken coaching before and knows the value that can be there (he's probably number 3 in our office).
I've taken some investing coaching before that I found to be beneficial and I've also had some that was a wasted purchase. But I've never bought any of that stuff that costs 10's of thousands of dollars. That's just too much in my opinion. There's good coaching out there at good prices, and there's bad coaching out there at expensive prices. Note, I am not affiliated with Southwestern Consulting, at least not yet.
I totally agree. There is the good and the bad, just as there are good and bad real estate investors out there. Just like everyone else I hate paying for bad info, but unlike some, I will gladly pay for good info.
I think the majority of those that posted just read my headline question and not the post. I should have asked, why do capitalist real estate investors(those on a website called Bigger Pockets) think information only needs to be free?
It really had nothing to do with the late night hustler that says you can get rich overnight, while sitting in your underwear, eating cheetohs.
Funny thing is, I have nothing to sell. It was just meant to be a rhetorical question.
Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
12y
@Matt B. - The other guys in my brokerage office who have taken sales training - they look at it as an investment. And it's not just the information, but also the accountability that one gets with having a coach. Both of those guys will tell you that their business has vastly improved with the aid of their coaches.
Bryan you made me flash back to my first training course and that had to be 1975ish... Newly minted RE agent.. the course was in handbooks.. No mentors no internet etc. And just big silly pictures, but there were basics that you learn..
And to this day one of the compelling things I learned and most valuable lesson as a RE agent was not to waste time. And the biggest time waster was showing property to only one of the spouse's.. Especially the Hubby who says they can make a decision. I broke that rule early on spent a bunch of time driving hubby around only to have him sheepishly say they could not buy because wife says no... Once I made that my absolute rule.. My sales went through the roof... So with all these coaching mentoring sales advice I think there is a lot of info.. but if just one or two things resonates with you it can lift you to the next level... And I would tell my folks both had to show up or I was not going to show the property period.. I may have lost a few deals but I did not spend hours wasting time, and if a hubby showed up and did not follow my rules. I politely handed them a Map ( we used maps then) Listings were in the big book.. And said do a drive by and when your wife can attend the meeting I will be happy to show it.
Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
12y
@Jay Hinrichs - Going back to @Matt B. original thoughts on capitalism here. I also do some part-time sales work selling automation equipment and engineering services to large factories. And my customers will almost always be willing to invest any dollar amount that will be returned back to them in 1 year or less. So, that's how I'm looking at the coaching that I am taking. I fully expect to use this coaching, and I fully expect to make more money as a result of it. And why do I have to answer this same disclosure question ever time in the same thread?
Real Estate Investor · atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 456 posts · 237 votes
12y
Lot's of good opinions and experiences being shared here. There is a new string on this "seminar" stuff every week on BP. The bigger problem with this discussion on BP is that we have a TON of newbie or wannabe investors who read what's written but don't participate in the conversation. Some of us have 30 or more years experience in doing deals...others are still thinking about it after 30 years and thousands in education, books & seminars. As might say....you were doing it wrong for those 30 years and he has a good point. Just because something being done is not kosher with something like the Dodd-Frank Act....doesn't mean it's a problem for the deal is neither party complains about it. Don't take a lawyer's word for it either...there is a ton you can find out online....and laws do differ from state to state...another issue most of us have with the seminars.
Before trying to become a successful real estate person, try becoming a better quality person with a more pleasing personality. I often get deals where I wasn't the highest offer but the nicer person to deal with. There is specific knowledge that will help you but common sense goes a long way as well. If you've never taken it, invest in a Dale Carnegie course...or at least read the books. Timeless information on basic human interaction & psychology that will help you do deals...and prosper in life. People buy from people they like. No matter how clever you are, there is always someone smarter somewhere. I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp but I'm not the dimmest either. I can't tell you how many times someone with "higher" education has tried to impress me with how smart they are. I'm all for higher education but you're not necessarily smarter because you went to business school or law school...you just put in the time and paid your money.
If you're going to be in business....it pays to invest in an education centered around that business. Just realize that may who can't do....teach. That's our collective issues with seminars....it is sometimes worth the fee just to network with other like-minded people....just use the reverse on what Jay had to say above...tell them you can't buy anything over $20 without your significant others approval. Most seminars are just a initial introduction, some basic information and an huge upsell for the "BIG EVENT."
You can get a ton of great information and contacts right here on BP. Look at posts various writers are posting and you will get a feel for their intents, their knowledge and their success. Some are brilliant...some plain moronic....but all of us can learn from someone else even if it's Forest Gump. Thanks for sharing and Happy Investing!
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
12y
Is that Mrs. Jay speaking? Probably the brains of the operation, as it usually is. LOL
The MLS Book, ahhh, the good ole days.
Brian, there are some very good teachers out there, good motivational tail kickers, technical and legal folks with good stuff. If you found a good one, good luck with it, if it's a reasonable price and there are several solid tips or approaches you can adopt, over time it will probably pay off.
The two best I've ever seen are both retired and wealthy, they were not gurus but RE Brokers. Two different RE companies, one was a stockholder in a company and was the educator, the other was the owner-broker who grew up on a dirt floor in Oklahoma to build one of the country's most successful RE companies, an excellent motivator, salesperson and RE technician. Both, personal long time family friends.
I'd have to think there are folks out there like them, you'd be lucky to find them and put yourself in a position to learn from them. I'm not so sure such people are teaching or giving seminars as their business, if you're that good and being at an age of actually doing, they'd make more doing than preaching.
Andy you make very good points about personality and how one deals with the public.. And in RE especially there is some sales skills that need to be used to be successful.. And most of those are the same skills that are taught in all sales, be it auto, insurance, mortgages, crimeshare ( owe I mean timeshare) etc etc. Basic tenants of the sales cycle. And I was mentored in my early days by some of the best. If any one is reading this I highly recommend the movie TIN Man with Danny DeVito its about 1950's siding salesmen and those techniques were tride and true to this day...
I am not 100% certain however I don't think many of the RE guru type seminars really ever touch on sales technique the art of the closing the deals etc. etc. And a great salesmen will do far better than the over educated analytical type any day of the week. And that is a fact of life.
Some of my fondest memories in Business were the 8 years I Oregon that I was buying timber land and Timber rights then subdividing the logged property for some sites.
My partner bless his soul was a good Ole boy form the Oregon coast Not super sharp on the bizz side.. But Man could he influence and win over our clients. He always had a cooler with Salmon that he caught.. He would go the houses and Do what I call Porch time .. IE sit with hubby and wife for a few hours just talking about everything under the sun. But he established report.. And when those Sellers of timber or timber land were ready its our company they went with...
I tried it a few times and I just did not have the patience for it.. I was the office guy I did all the real estate banking, lead generation but he did the Closing and was a master at it.
So your Right Andy theres more to this than just learning the nuts and bolts you have to have some salemenship ability if your going to be dealing direct with the buyer sellers the better salesmen will win the deal no doubt.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
12y
Going back a bit as to the salesman, The Music Man has to be one of the top examples, selling band instruments using the "Think Method" if you think you can play it, you can.
My first selling experience was as a 12 something kid, my folks had a camping trailer/supply business, I just jumped in doing demonstrations showing how easy it was setting up a tent trailer. I didn't get formal sales instruction until I got in the insurance business, picked up the meat but refused to sell sizzle. My boss was not happy that I didn't follow the company's multi-million dollar sales program but he changed his tune in my second year when I was a top regional (Southeast country type regional) producer, getting the newbie of the month and year awards (the kind of stuff insurance companies do).
The psychology of the sale and knowing when to close always works, I have no idea of where you could learn that now in a seminar. The art of the sale is seeing through the objections and the motivations in the deal, that hasn't changed nor will it. :)
I agree with Brian, why you can't answer this disclosure once in a thread?
Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
12y
@Jay Hinrichs - I think you're right about the REI coaches not offering coaching and/or training in sales. But the program that I recently signed up for is straight out sales training. And it's not necessarily just real estate sales training, but sales in general. And I can see where a lot of it can apply to us as investors also.
Bill not to one up you... but I started with Fuller brush door to door. I made more in 2 hours after school 3 days a week than most kids working full time flipping burgers.. " I still remember my opening lines" I have a free gift for you and hand them a little pack of lanoline lotion.. then sell them a boar bristle brush for 10 bucks and all sorts of cleaning products... Its was great training you also learned to handle rejection... which is the killer for most starting out in the sales bizz.. Just can't handle the rejection. When the most important word in sales is NEXT>>>>
Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y
Since we are talking about SALES TRAINING, I was trained by 3 different companies in insurance and mutual funds, one was a top Fortune 50 company, we had go through the ringer in sales training on the phone to consumers and business owners, in the "bull pen", it was murder, sticking to a script, with some "manager" breathing down my neck.
My mantra was, "well if I can excell at Parris Island SC in Marine Corps bootcamp, I can handlle some friggin sales training and huge rejection!"
FYI I learned more about the psychology of selling to consumers with these 2 books:
"Now Suzie and Bob, you can see the value in selling your home on terms versus selling with an agent, cant you?" (that's called a "tie down" for a yes, and you sprinkle 10 of those in the presentation for the close.)
Real Estate Investor · Coatesville, PA 19320 · Member since 2011 · 108 posts · 178 votes
12y
A seminar, changed my life. I also wasted money on some. But it's about education and don't ever stop. The day you stop, is the day you stop moving forward. My 2 cents..........
... And why do I have to answer this same disclosure question ever time in the same thread?
Bryan L - the reason is that any one of your posts may get altered by the moderators, to the point where a post may be entirely hidden from users' ability to view - and that would hide your disclosure answer too. And failure to honestly answer would likely get the attention of the moderators too.
.... If any one is reading this I highly recommend the movie TIN Man with Danny DeVito its about 1950's siding salesmen and those techniques were tride and true to this day...
....
Just the mention of that movie got my vote Jay!
I still remember seeing all-brick houses all of a sudden having a skin of aluminum siding. I now even own a rental house that is like that, with aluminum siding from the late sixties or early seventies :)
On the west coast during the late 60's and to the middle 70's Boise Cascade built 27 subdivisions with 2 to 5k lots in each one. And when these subs were built they were not required to have Water systems for the entire build out.
What you will get a kick out of was the salesmen that sold these lots.. If you remember the TIN Man the salesmen all pulled up in CADDY's of the day.
Well at Boise the care was Jeep Wagoneer with the wood panels. And they would be lined up 20 in a row... In those days a good land man could make 60 to 100k a year.. BIG dough in those days and they partied hard after the weekend..
It was there I learned my original sales skills my dad was a top producer for 3 years before he went out on his own.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
12y
Getting back on topic of seminars, when you guys paid for one I'm wondering two things, what were you paying and how far did you go to get there?
Seems to me there would be a wide variance of price, free, 99.99, 249.00, 699.00, 997.00, 2,500, 4,997.....what ever. What did you really get?
Then, how far did you have to travel to get there, were they in town, a hundred miles, further, did you fly in?
What I'm getting at was the total cost involved. Motel/Hotel room, food, travel expenses, did you just work in a vacation?
I attended a recent seminar by "Cash Flow" something, turned out they were lenders teaching how to so they could fund deals. There were folks from over a hundred miles away! It was free too, but those that signed up for some meat starting 3 days later at a discount, they were getting rooms for the event in addition to their cost of the "instruction".
Frankly, seems to me some folks here could do some regional stuff in addition to the annual BP national thing as not everyone gets to that. Not a BP sponsored thing, just those with really good stuff, if I had anything to do with it, the group would be very selective, no gurus. Not even sure it's a good idea..... ???
I have been to free ones and have probably paid up to about $5k. Have been to them on both coasts, so have had to pay for air fare and lodging on some. I would rather pay more up front for a serious event, than waste time at a free one that I am being upsold at and has no quality info. I look at them as information mini vacations.
Funny thing is I rarely attend them anymore, as I have pretty much heard everything there is to say. I had planned to attend one in January, that was sponsored by a member here, but had to miss it. It was on MH finance and geared to park owners and dealers. At $100, I thought they weren't charging enough.
I think if you were to provide quality info, in a decent venue, with networking opportunities, a price point of $600-$900 per each day of the event is a fair price to pay. Attendees need to leave with at least one or two great ideas and/or contacts, that end up paying for the event in a rather short amount of time.
Also, the sponsor deserves to get paid for putting this together. I think people who say these need to be free have no idea of the costs(money and time) to put something like this together.