• New Orleans, LA
Votes |
New Problem with Using a Virtual Number for Business Communication

Matt Godwin
Pro Member
  • New Orleans, LA
Posted May 24 2023, 08:56

Hi BP fam,

Here's the situation, I currently use OpenPhone for all of my real estate business related communications (e.g., talking to buyers, sellers, other agents, etc.) as I want to keep my personal cell phone number private. However, I was recently informed that the major carriers are going to be classifying all traffic from OpenPhone (and several other applications) as application-to-person (A2P) traffic instead of person-to-person (P2P) traffic. A2P traffic requires registration and the inclusion of requirements from the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) (e.g., opt-in and opt-out language). The problem is, my communications are P2P just using a virtual number for privacy reasons. I'm not doing any SMS text-blasting, etc. 

Has anyone else run across this issue? What are you doing to solve it?

TIA

User Stats

Votes
Yael Lederman
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied May 24 2023, 08:58

Have you tried reaching out to the OpenPhone team? They may have some thoughts / pointers that could help. I used to use them at an old job and their support team was always very helpful

User Stats

Votes
Matt Godwin
Pro Member
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied May 24 2023, 09:05
Quote from @Yael Lederman:

Have you tried reaching out to the OpenPhone team? They may have some thoughts / pointers that could help. I used to use them at an old job and their support team was always very helpful

I haven't strictly because the documentation they provided says that all traffic from OpenPhone will be considered A2P. But, it probably doesn't hurt to reach out.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alex Pelletier
Votes |
Replied May 24 2023, 10:27

I think most providers like that are going to be blocked more and more often - just too common a fraud vector. In my eyes, the best alternative is a dual-sim or e-sim phone where you can use your phone as normal with another number. You're still keeping work/personal separate, but not dealing with any issues put in place by those services blocking VoIP and such technologies. I just use a cheap Boost Mobile line and have had no issues.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Willis
  • CA & NV
Votes |
  • CA & NV
Replied May 24 2023, 10:36

This is most likely the result of the FCC notice DA-23-56, dated Jan 23, 2023.

"CONSUMER AND GOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS BUREAU ANNOUNCES COMPLIANCE DATE FOR AMENDED TELEPHONE CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT RULES ON PRERECORDED CALLS"

A2P falls within this group, and compliance is required as of July 20, 2023.

I use OOMA, which is P2P, with a separate virtual number. I can use a desk phone and a mobile app with the same number. Makes life really easy

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied May 26 2023, 08:03
Quote from @Matt Godwin:

Hi BP fam,

Here's the situation, I currently use OpenPhone for all of my real estate business related communications (e.g., talking to buyers, sellers, other agents, etc.) as I want to keep my personal cell phone number private. However, I was recently informed that the major carriers are going to be classifying all traffic from OpenPhone (and several other applications) as application-to-person (A2P) traffic instead of person-to-person (P2P) traffic. A2P traffic requires registration and the inclusion of requirements from the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) (e.g., opt-in and opt-out language). The problem is, my communications are P2P just using a virtual number for privacy reasons. I'm not doing any SMS text-blasting, etc. 

Has anyone else run across this issue? What are you doing to solve it?

TIA

We have a few different phone numbers for our business which we manage through REI Blackbook. For the phone numbers that we use for SMS text-blasting.  (For us the text blasts go out to existing clients) REIBB has a simple process for registering the numbers with the major carriers so our texts do not get blocked.  
The Smith Group Logo