Validation request: Is automated lease/vendor/asset tracking actually useful?

Validation request: Is automated lease/vendor/asset tracking actually useful?

Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes

Looking for honest perspectives from people managing multiple properties.

Background: I'm a QuickBooks expert who owns commercial property and handles CRE tax returns. I keep running into the same operational headaches across my own properties and seeing the same issues with clients - 1099 scrambles every January, missed lease escalations, surprise capital expenses, insurance renewals that sneak up on you.

What I'm thinking about building:

A platform that automates the tracking of all this stuff:

  • AI extracts lease terms from PDFs (no more manual entry)
  • Tracks vendor payments and flags 1099 requirements automatically
  • Alerts for insurance renewals at 90/60/30 days out
  • Monitors capital asset lifecycles - know your HVAC is 18 years old before it dies
  • Automates CAM reconciliation calculations
  • Integrates with bookkeeping/financial planning

What I need to know:

  1. Are these actually widespread pain points or niche problems?
  2. What tools are people currently using that work well?
  3. Would you actually use something like this or is "another tool to manage" just more overhead?
  4. What am I missing about how people currently handle this?

Targeting landlords with 5-25 units - past the single property stage but not big enough for enterprise software that costs $500+/month.

If you're in this range, I'd really value your take on whether this is worth building or if there are better solutions already out there.

0Reply
191 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
8mo
Quote from @Christopher Stetler:

Looking for honest perspectives from people managing multiple properties.

Background: I'm a QuickBooks expert who owns commercial property and handles CRE tax returns. I keep running into the same operational headaches across my own properties and seeing the same issues with clients - 1099 scrambles every January, missed lease escalations, surprise capital expenses, insurance renewals that sneak up on you.

What I'm thinking about building:

A platform that automates the tracking of all this stuff:

  • AI extracts lease terms from PDFs (no more manual entry)
  • Tracks vendor payments and flags 1099 requirements automatically
  • Alerts for insurance renewals at 90/60/30 days out
  • Monitors capital asset lifecycles - know your HVAC is 18 years old before it dies
  • Automates CAM reconciliation calculations
  • Integrates with bookkeeping/financial planning

What I need to know:

  1. Are these actually widespread pain points or niche problems?
  2. What tools are people currently using that work well?
  3. Would you actually use something like this or is "another tool to manage" just more overhead?
  4. What am I missing about how people currently handle this?

Targeting landlords with 5-25 units - past the single property stage but not big enough for enterprise software that costs $500+/month.

If you're in this range, I'd really value your take on whether this is worth building or if there are better solutions already out there.


I think Buildium starts at $50/month, so not sure why you are using $500 figure.

Have you tried Innago? Even cheaper.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia · Member since 2021 · 23 posts · 6 votes
    8mo

    Hi Christopher!

    I think these are all paint points for managers. I have 10 doors to manage. I think all of what you said seems useful, and I bet people would be willing to buy it. I think integration with existing property management software would be key, as everybody likes to have everything in one place. For our management we use turbotenant, mostly for payment processing, a separate accounting software, plus a big spreadsheet for all other misc stuff like access codes, unit info, meter info, etc. If more of that could be in one place I know that I would be happier. But keep in mind you are essentially competing with a free spreadsheet, at least in our operation. 

    Hope this helps!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Christopher Stetler:

    Looking for honest perspectives from people managing multiple properties.

    Background: I'm a QuickBooks expert who owns commercial property and handles CRE tax returns. I keep running into the same operational headaches across my own properties and seeing the same issues with clients - 1099 scrambles every January, missed lease escalations, surprise capital expenses, insurance renewals that sneak up on you.

    What I'm thinking about building:

    A platform that automates the tracking of all this stuff:

    • AI extracts lease terms from PDFs (no more manual entry)
    • Tracks vendor payments and flags 1099 requirements automatically
    • Alerts for insurance renewals at 90/60/30 days out
    • Monitors capital asset lifecycles - know your HVAC is 18 years old before it dies
    • Automates CAM reconciliation calculations
    • Integrates with bookkeeping/financial planning

    What I need to know:

    1. Are these actually widespread pain points or niche problems?
    2. What tools are people currently using that work well?
    3. Would you actually use something like this or is "another tool to manage" just more overhead?
    4. What am I missing about how people currently handle this?

    Targeting landlords with 5-25 units - past the single property stage but not big enough for enterprise software that costs $500+/month.

    If you're in this range, I'd really value your take on whether this is worth building or if there are better solutions already out there.


    I think Buildium starts at $50/month, so not sure why you are using $500 figure.

    Have you tried Innago? Even cheaper.

  • Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
    3mo

    Adding to what's been said — the spreadsheet comparison is the real benchmark here, not Buildium or Innago. Most people in the 5-25 unit range already have some PM software for rent collection, but still run a parallel spreadsheet for exactly the stuff you listed (lease terms, asset ages, renewal dates) because that's the stuff PM software handles poorly or not at all.

    So the question isn't "PM software vs. your tool" — it's "spreadsheet vs. your tool," and a spreadsheet is free and people already know how to use it. To win that comparison, the lease PDF extraction needs to feel like magic (upload a lease, get structured data out, zero manual entry) because that's the one feature a spreadsheet genuinely can't do. The alerts and tracking features are nice-to-haves that a spreadsheet + calendar reminders can approximate.

    If I were prioritizing, I'd build the PDF extraction + 1099 flagging first as a lightweight tool that exports to CSV/sheets rather than trying to be a full platform from day one. Let it slot into people's existing spreadsheet workflow instead of replacing it. Once people trust the extraction is accurate, the rest becomes an easier upsell.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.