Vaporizers safe? Asthma tenant.

7 Replies

tenant with asthma saying that even the vaporizer from other students giving him asthma. Do I enforce the no smoking rule that's in the lease with these Vaporizors?  Uggg.

thanks,

In this case I absolutely would.

If he’s having asthma attacks then it’s affecting his daily life. The others can go outside.

Check your current city/state regulations.

For instance in King County, Wa they added electronic cigarettes into the definition of tobacco products.  In Santa Cruz County, Ca no such thing has been considered making e-cigs usable anywhere.  Be careful trying to go down the tobacco route because some users use 0 nicotine products too.

My guess is the guy with asthma is being triggered by something else.

When college kids talk about vaporizers they're not usually talking about tobacco.

Originally posted by @Fred Heller :

When college kids talk about vaporizers they're not usually talking about  tobacco.

I thought the same thing! lol

@Fred Heller  That made me laugh. 

I work with guys who are constantly on the vapor/ecig at work. I literally am surrounded by it all day long. It gets blown around me/I walk through it and have never had any problems. It doesn't bother my contacts or anything. I honestly find it less offensive then the smell of someone who smokes all day. That bothers me way more. 

Technically they are not "smoking" but "vaporizing" so I would be careful there. Maybe add a clause next time you resign leases saying that you may or may not ban them but giving you the wiggle room to do so. I don't understand how other tenants could be bothering him... Is this a multi family or complex? If they are doing it in common areas just tell them it's not allowed there. If they are his roommates in a SFR they should resolve it in house.

@Fred Heller  -- Times are quickly changing.  "Vaping" is starting to become a multi-billion dollar industry changing the rules on "smoking" and tobacco legislation.  I think if you asked a college student about what kind of vaporizer they are using you'd get one that was closer to the e-cig movement than one for weed.

And to bring it back, @Christian Lincoln  did state he'd be invoking the non-smoking clause, not the no-drugs clause of his lease.

He just moved in. He's willing to move out. He doesn't care about the fact that it's probably weed half the time, but he says it's the particulates.    I don't want people smoking in the house. These kids have been stereotypically terrible tenants in general. If Vaporizors fall under the no smoking in house clause (who knows if they do) I would be fine trying to kick them out - or the three that still that are doing it.  I beginning to hate being a student housing landlord. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.