Eviction

7 Replies

Hi every one,

I just want to know more about eviction,

I have a tenant that paid 1/4 the of the rent last month do to getting  laid off work.

and she paid 1/8 this month for the same reason.

what is my legal standing. can I evict or should I wait , if so how many months do I wait.

thanks 

You are doing a disservice to yourself. It sounds like things will only get worse. Get whatever help you need to correct this asap.

John Thedford, Real Estate Agent in FL (#BK3098153)

How long has the tenant been there? What has the payment history been before being laid off?

Not to be heartless, but at this point it doesn't look good. I would assume this person isn't eligible for unemployment compensation. Therefore I would start the eviction process. This is a business. You need to protect your investment.

The tenant just moved 3 months ago. first month was paid in full.

I will start the eviction posses soon.  I understand that is mean but I am running a business . I need to pay my mortgage 

thanks every one for your input 

@Johnny Khoury  Did you serve late payment notice last month and this month? When you go for eviction, you will need to show this.

I would get started with the eviction process right away. I have had a tenant like this and it is only going to get worst. You are better of with no rent coming in rather then the hassle of dealing with a dead beat tenant.

Good luck.
Upen Patel

@Johnny Khoury I went through something similar to this. One thing I have learned is find lawyer that only (mostly) does evictions. Tenants are tricky.....they will try every thing they can to extend their stay and undermine your property, and set you up for failure. 

By hiring this person you can ensure that they know the temperament of Judges, court schedules and can assist you through it all.

Don't accept any more partial payments. This could be held against you in court. It's seen as an agreement to accept a lower rent and you can't claim non-payment of rent.

Start the eviction immediately.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you