New to renting. Any information helps!

4 Replies

I'm extremely green to this and I don't know where to start. I'm 20 years old and planning on going to college to become history teacher and possibly a professor. My goal is to buy and rent out houses and eventually apartment buildings. I want it to be a side job but I have a lot of time to devote to it. I just want to learn what I should and shouldn't do along with some tips on how to get started, what to look for, and how to manage my real estate. Any links to books or webpages also helps. Like I said very green but very eager. If this post sounds like it's lacking not substance that's because I have no clue on what I'm doing. So any information helps.
Thanks in advance!

@Jaime Chavez-Lopez Welcome to BP! This is a great site to start answering all your questions.  There are plenty of articles and forum posts that can help you out.  Just search your question on here and see what comes up.  If you still have a specific questions, just feel free to post it.  Hope this helps.

Welcome to BiggerPockets, @Jaime Chavez-Lopez .

Here are some pretty amazing articles written by Brandon Turner. 

How to Rent Your House

Tenant Screening: The Ultimate Guide

Buying Rental Property: A Step by Step Guide

How to Evict a Tenant

An Introduction to Real Estate Deal Analysis

Those should keep you busy for a few minutes :)

I'd also recommend going to the  Landlording forum and reading through that. There are a ton of issues that landlords face, and when members have a landlording question, they post in that forum.

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

@Jaime Chavez-Lopez Welcome! you are in the right place to learn. I have the same ambition as you and I have had a lot of luck listening to BP podcasts during my commute. 

I anticipate that creating automated (or at least predetermined) systems to deal with foreseeable events (through education and trial and error) will be paramount to our keeping our REI from becoming too time consuming.

I really can't recommend BP enough, at a very minimum it's teaching me what questions to ask.

Good luck!

It is worth for you to ask recoomendation from property manager, he will guide you through all this process.
It’s difficult to buy and then rent out a property on your own, especially for the first time.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.