New to renting. Any information helps!

New to renting. Any information helps!

Greencastle, PA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
I'm extremely green to this and I don't know where to start. I'm 20 years old and planning on going to college to become history teacher and possibly a professor. My goal is to buy and rent out houses and eventually apartment buildings. I want it to be a side job but I have a lot of time to devote to it. I just want to learn what I should and shouldn't do along with some tips on how to get started, what to look for, and how to manage my real estate. Any links to books or webpages also helps. Like I said very green but very eager. If this post sounds like it's lacking not substance that's because I have no clue on what I'm doing. So any information helps. Thanks in advance!
0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · NW Indiana · Member since 2012 · 833 posts · 197 votes
9y

@Jaime Chavez-Lopez Welcome to BP! This is a great site to start answering all your questions.  There are plenty of articles and forum posts that can help you out.  Just search your question on here and see what comes up.  If you still have a specific questions, just feel free to post it.  Hope this helps.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · NW Indiana · Member since 2012 · 833 posts · 197 votes
    9y

    @Jaime Chavez-Lopez Welcome to BP! This is a great site to start answering all your questions.  There are plenty of articles and forum posts that can help you out.  Just search your question on here and see what comes up.  If you still have a specific questions, just feel free to post it.  Hope this helps.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, @Jaime Chavez-Lopez .

    Here are some pretty amazing articles written by Brandon Turner. 

    How to Rent Your House

    Tenant Screening: The Ultimate Guide

    Buying Rental Property: A Step by Step Guide

    How to Evict a Tenant

    An Introduction to Real Estate Deal Analysis

    Those should keep you busy for a few minutes :)

    I'd also recommend going to the  Landlording forum and reading through that. There are a ton of issues that landlords face, and when members have a landlording question, they post in that forum.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 183 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    @Jaime Chavez-Lopez Welcome! you are in the right place to learn. I have the same ambition as you and I have had a lot of luck listening to BP podcasts during my commute. 

    I anticipate that creating automated (or at least predetermined) systems to deal with foreseeable events (through education and trial and error) will be paramount to our keeping our REI from becoming too time consuming.

    I really can't recommend BP enough, at a very minimum it's teaching me what questions to ask.

    Good luck!

  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 124 posts · 31 votes
    9y
    It is worth for you to ask recoomendation from property manager, he will guide you through all this process. It’s difficult to buy and then rent out a property on your own, especially for the first time.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.