Addendum to sublease?

8 Replies

I have a tenant who is becoming a very large headache. He agreed to pay $900/month alone, yet every month has another sob story about why he can't pay on the 1st. His lease states that subletting is not allowed, but I sent an addendum allowing him to sublet to his friend. His friend does not help with lawncare, has had an unauthorized pet on the premises, and has painted a room (causing damage to the floors and trim) which also violated the lease agreement. Because he and his friend cannot pay rent on time, he just informed me he is going to find another person to sublet to (along with his current tenant) 

Can I make an addendum that no longer allows any future subletters? I am afraid to allow yet another person in the house who is going to cause damage, which I will just have to eat because they aren't paying any security deposit. Thanks in advance

No more sublet. Tenant must go you otherwise you are going to have a lot more and worse issues with him.

When the lease ending ? Get rid of them ASAP!

As luck would have it I accidentally checked the "month to month" box when filling out the lease agreement. And the lease agreement states that after the lease expires I can change the terms with a 30 day notice. 

This is the second group of renters in the past 7 months. I am not sure if they are a bigger headache than cleaning the house and going through this process all over again.

At least you should have asked last time when you allowed sublet. 

I know it's hard to find a good tenant, loose money  and you need time.

Unfortunately, you have to decide and take an action before it get worse!

Thank you for taking the time to respond! 

I let him know that technically his lease expires in 30 days, so after that he will no longer be allowed to sublease. I said if his current subletter would like to stay then she can sign a lease and pay the deposit. 

He is getting incredibly worked up, all because I stressed the fact that rent is due on the 1st and I feel like he is abusing the fact that he has until the 15th before late charges are incurred.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here