Can landlord store show up and store items on tenants property

5 Replies

Landlord showed up today and dropped off stuff in our garage and side bonus room. On the lease it does NOT say anywhere that there are any exceptions to the property. It just states: "The management, for and in consideration of the agreement terms, community policies and conditions, to be kept and performed by the residents occupying  (said address) to be occupied and used as a residence which also includes the shared use of the kitchen, baths and living rooms areas as well as the use of all major appliances if a multi bedroom unit."

Landlord never said bonus room was not included and now he says he verbally told us that. At the end of the lease it does state "Lessee agrees that all agreements between management and Residents are set forth in this agreement and that no other agreements of any kind, oral or otherwise, have been made."

Am I crazy to think he can't put his stuff in either place? The side bonus room is attached to our house so he basically filled it up with furniture. It doesn't state anywhere about the garage but its on the property so, does he legally have access?? 

he may not now the question is do you really need the space are you happy there and do you have a good relationship with him

The landlord already informed us they're moving back in when our lease is up in July. They're retired and live in Florida and want to summer back in Michigan. Yes we need the space, now that were losing our housing....not such a good relationship. 

No, you're not crazy. It is your space while you pay rent. Absolutely. He should have asked your permission and in all fairness offered a rent reduction to compensate you...or rented a storage unit until you moved out. You could ask him to move his stuff in writing citing the lease etc (via certified letter). Say you don't want to be held responsible for his stuff in your home. But be nice. Then see how you are treated until the end of your lease and with your deposit. You will have evidence of his wrong doing (stealing your rented space) to show his true colors to the judge in small claims court if you have to sue for your deposit...and add in a claim for a portion of back rent for the storage room so you can present a copy of the letter and certified receipt. Proof he is a jerk. Just IMO as I have never been to small claims court.

@Courtney K. , take pictures of the landlords belongings in the home before you ask him to move them out. You shouldn't be responsible for his stuff. 

I was the landlord in a similar situation, but I "rented a room" to the tenant, and expressly told him that one bedroom was for my storage. He knew that we were in a roommate situation, but I never came into the home without first notifiying him. 

Perhaps your landlord just isn't aware of your rights.

If it's not in writing, it didn't happen. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here