Foreclose, renters won’t move

9 Replies

Hey BP, I have just bought a property out of foreclosure. I bought it for a quick flip, but the people living in it did not own it and did not know that it was being foreclosed on. I talked to them and they said they need 6 months to find a place, so I gave them a 3 month lease. Looking for ideas to get them out, to start renovations and to flip quicker. Looking for any tips, ideas, or anyone that has been in a situation like this! Thanks!

Since you wrote a lease they became your tenants. You must give a 30 day notice to vacant. Then if they do not move you must evict. If you wan tthem out now you might try cash for keys....

Why would someone need 6 months to find a new place anyways? 

What does their current lease say? 

Otherwise they are essentially, month to month. Meaning you could have given notice to vacate as someone mentioned above.

@Aaron Hunt This man was a disabled vet, who just lost his job. He said he needed time to get his finances straighten away. He did not have anything in writing before I wrote a lease for him.

How would you handle this situation?

you could call the local va and see what housing programs might be available for him and then relay that back to him .maybe even call up some of his family to look at options . If you do that  Atleast you tried to help at that point and that’s more than most would do . It sucks but the reality of the situation is Wether he was in service or not doesn’t change the fact you need him out of there to operate business , business you paid a lot of money for not him  . You own it not him and there’s certainly No reason to need 6 months to move  . Remind him There’s plenty of other places he could rent besides your place and kindly but firmly let him know he must move on soon 

you could call the local va and see what housing programs might be available for him and then relay that back to him .maybe even call up some of his family to look at options . If you do that  Atleast you tried to help at that point and that’s more than most would do . It sucks but the reality of the situation is Wether he was in service or not doesn’t change the fact you need him out of there to operate business , business you paid a lot of money for not him  . You own it not him and there’s certainly No reason to need 6 months to move  . Remind him There’s plenty of other places he could rent besides your place and kindly but firmly let him know he must move on soon 

Originally posted by @Sam Ferguson :

Aaron Hunt This man was a disabled vet, who just lost his job. He said he needed time to get his finances straighten away. He did not have anything in writing before I wrote a lease for him.

Originally posted by @Sam Ferguson:

Aaron Hunt This man was a disabled vet, who just lost his job. He said he needed time to get his finances straighten away. He did not have anything in writing before I wrote a lease for him.

Knowing me and my tolerance level, I would have probably avoided the transaction all together just knowing that removing a current tenant is a headache I don’t have time for. 

Or at the very least in the documents I would have made sure it says I will be expecting a vacant property (like a bank REO) - so removal is on them.

In this case, with a disabled vet as the tenant, you look like the bad guy no matter what you do and you’re inevitably going to out be time or money, and most likely both. Based on what I have seen - business is business except when it comes to veterans.

Someone already offered the most reasonable suggestion, and that's calling the VA - which makes sense.