What paint color did they use?

10 Replies

So I did a search for this topic and didn't find an answer so I figured I would create a thread. So here is the scenario you buy a house that is painted a particular color. The paint job is in good condition for the most part but you would like to know the paint color/brand just in case you want to do some touch up work.

Question is how do you find out what paint they used? Is the only option just to contact the former owners? Should I be doing touch up work or should I only worry about this when I am due for a full paint job? BTW I am talking about the exterior paint of the building.

Thoughts?

The only thing I can think to do is cut/peel a section of paint from somewhere and try to have home depot or Lowes match the color & finish as best they can. Sometimes it perfect, and other times its only 90%.

@Joseph Weisenbloom Benjamin Moore makes an app for iPhone and Android called Color Capture that lets you take a picture of the color, then it brings up all the closest corresponding Ben Moore colors.

If you don't want to use Ben Moore, you can bring that same color to Home Depot or wherever and they can duplicate it for you.

Personally if it's good shape I wouldn't worry about it until it's time to repaint.

Even if you had the exact color, it probably wouldn't match - paint fades, etc. Try to get a sample & have it computer-matched - & don't be too picky!

Ask them to leave spare paint behind. Computer match it. And when you are done with the touch up put it in a closet in the house marked with the room. (for your access only)

Sometimes the sellers will have some old paint laying around, one way I've found out the exact color! The other way is to take a sample to your local home improvement store so they can try to help determine the paint color.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Touching-up an exterior is going to be hard. As others have already stated, paint fades over time, especially when exposed to sun, rain, etc. Sometimes you can get lucky matching interior paint colors, but this is less likely when you are dealing with exterior aplications. Your best bet is to simply wait until it's time to re-paint.

Justin

HD couldn't match the paint 3 times. i went to SW and they matched it almost identically.

just paint the whole wall/area with different color so it acts as an accent wall.

The problem I find with HD is they don't have a true flat paint in their "paint and primer in one", so it will not match even if the color is right. With my own home I had some of the original paint for each color left in the laundry room. Even being 9 years old once it was machine mixed it matched perfectly on some trim I touched up outside as well as walls inside.

Everyone I figured out the solution to my problem. After doing some forensic work on the materals that the house was made of I figured out that the previous owner bought all his materials at Lowes. So I went to local lowes with a sample of the old color an they knew what color it was. The lesson learned here is find out first what brand they used and then bring a sample to the store so they can identify it.

You can take a piece of the paint to like Home Depot or Lowe's and they will try and match it for you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you