3x6 Subway Tile and Mosiac Accent Row Design Question

15 Replies

Hello BP Community!

I currently have 3x6 subway tiles and some blue mosaic squares for an accent row that are ready to be applied. Here are my "design" questions...

1. Do you think a blue accent row is okay when it comes to reselling the house? I had trouble picking a neutral accent row color that would look good and give the shower some pop.

2. With the accent row we have some decisions to make. What do you think looks best and will increase the resale value the most?

a. pencil strip all the way until it butts up against the bullnose along the edge. (1st picture)

b. no pencil strip with mosaic butting up against the bullnose (2nd picture)

c. pencil strip creating a box effect (3rd picture)

e. Any other ideas?

Thank You! :D

I vote for the third one - although I could be swayed a bit by that photo having the highest quality tile in it :)

Assume you're using the same tile regardless of design? Got a couple pics of that?

Medium logoMichael Seeker MBA, Renting502 | http://www.Renting502.com | Podcast Guest on Show #94

I like the third we just did something similar with subway tile and accent strip.

Jessica H., Roof Over Head, LLC | 6102481644

Yeah the third is extremely beautiful, but I will be using the white 3x6 in the middle photo with a 3 row square blue mosaic similar in size to that of the top photo.

I'm honestly thinking of going with picture number 2 as it is a simple design that will be simple to install.

I prefer #2. The pencil strip does nothing for me, adds complication and expense.

Thanks Sylvia, that is my thought as well! However, my wife has her own opinion. :/

You know what they say, Tim, "Happy wife, happy life!"

Oh no Sylvia, I thought you were on my side! :D

Who are you selling this too? Seems like you are over thinking this. Unless this is very high end, pick one and make it the easiest/cheapest one and you are good to go. If it is high end then it's too late to ask that question. It should have been part of the whole house theme prepared by the interior decorator.

Medium rre 1to1 small sizeBill S., Reliant Real Estate, Inc. | 720 207‑8190

bill, i dont agree.. if you are doing it, it's not much more to do a "better" one/design.

i like #2 for a family/main bathroom since it has a tub. families with kids do not like standing showers (i have kids, i know i would hate just a shower). i would just have the niche a little higher.

i will steal $3 half wall design though. :)

I have used both styles in pic's 1&2 , really don't see the necessity of pencil line unless you are using stone , seems the subway tile is a lesser upgrade to a house, therefore not justifiable for end user,just sayin...

Hi all,

I just wanted to post a picture of the final product! I think the subway tile was a good neutral fit for our bath and is a huge upgrade over the canary 4x4 we had.

I would recommend anyone attempting to do this project themselves to consider using the large 12x12 tiles for easier installation. These 3 inch tall tiles required 4 times as many cuts on the wet saw as a 12 inch tile would have and were a bit tedious to lay for a first timer like myself.

All in all, we love the shower and I'm glad I know how to tile now.

Love it! Maybe I look at things from a practical viewpoint, but those "sticking out" tiles are harder to clean. I like what you've done - I'll be installing something pretty similar behind the stove in my rehab/rental. Great minds think alike?

Hey Tim, that looks great! , nice feeling to add tiling to your repertoire , huh? Invest in some quality knee pads when you decide to do a floor, your knees will thank you;]

Very nice!   Good job finishing up the thread too  so we don't have to say hmmm.... I wonder what he finally did.   And a picture too excellent!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you