Contractor · Rockville, MD · Member since 2014 · 423 posts · 135 votes
11y
+1 for coping. It takes much longer and much more practice but in the end, it'll be worth the extra effort. I've installed thousands of feet of crown and have done it both ways but the coped joints always seem to look better over the long run. If you're painting them, run a bead of *good quality* caulk across the joint too. Good quality because the cheap stuff hardens and cracks over time with the expansion and contraction of the wood.
Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
11y
@Ruben Prieto Its a personal preference and I just don't like using it. It doesn't cope well, it doesn't take nails well and it's floppy. I also don't like the look of it; to my eye it always looks fake (like vinyl siding or laminate flooring).
Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 187 posts · 113 votes
11y
Coping, and its really not that time consuming if you cut a 45 first to get the profile. If you use mdf I've found that you can cope it with a dremel router bit.
Coping, and its really not that time consuming if you cut a 45 first to get the profile. If you use mdf I've found that you can cope it with a dremel router bit.
If your hand is steady, you can also use a jigsaw with fine tooth blade