Crown moulding coping or mitering?

7 Replies

Cope. It makes the joint pull tight when you nail it.  That applies to wood moulding. If you use MDF (which you shouldn't) you'll have to miter. 

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

+1 for coping.  It takes much longer and much more practice but in the end, it'll be worth the extra effort.  I've installed thousands of feet of crown and have done it both ways but the coped joints always seem to look better over the long run.  If you're painting them, run a bead of *good quality* caulk across the joint too.  Good quality because the cheap stuff hardens and cracks over time with the expansion and contraction of the wood.  

@Ruben Prieto   Its a personal preference and I just don't like using it. It doesn't cope well,  it doesn't take nails well and it's floppy.  I also don't like the look of it; to my eye it always looks fake (like vinyl siding or laminate flooring). 

Coping, and its really not that time consuming if you cut a 45 first to get the profile.  If you use mdf I've found that you can cope it with a dremel router bit.

Originally posted by @Tim Bishop :

Coping, and its really not that time consuming if you cut a 45 first to get the profile.  If you use mdf I've found that you can cope it with a dremel router bit.

If your hand is steady, you can also use a jigsaw with  fine tooth blade

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you