Where do you buy LED light bulbs (like the ones that replace regular bulbs)

8 Replies

Where do you buy LED light bulbs? I tried these out about a year ago and they are simply put, AMAZING. If you aren't using these in your home, stop what you are doing and go buy them right now.

CFL bulbs give off terrible light. LED light bulbs are incredible, in my opinion the same as or even better than, the old school incandescent ones.

I got mine at a special sale (I think it was at a Home Depot) a while back, they were something like $8 or $10 each. They are Philips, high quality ones.

But when I have looked online they are pretty expensive, like $20 each which adds up fast. Where have you guys found them for a steal, and what brands have you had good luck with? I really like the Philips ones I have.

I'm not sure which ones you are buying but there are 60W equivalent Philips available at HD for about $7 each or cheaper for Utilitechs at Lowes. You can wait for the 20% off coupon for Lowes or Home Depot and stock up using that, you can usually find one online that may not have a valid bar-code but can be taken to the competitor where they will match it. I personally will continue to use incandescents until I can't get them anymore. They're just to cheap and put out great light, plus I don't pay for the electricity and none of my tenants have had any issue with them.

Home Depot 60W Philips

HD SlimLine Philips

Lowes Utilitech 60W

You can also get them pretty cheap at Costco. If you're lucky your local utility company might subsadize the purchase of certain bulbs. In my area i was able to get a 3 pack that normally costs $19.99 for $9.99 cause the energy company subsadized it. They also had 4packs of CFL for .50.

Interesting. Those both look different from the ones I have, which look like this:

Do they work differently?

I just bought some at Target last week.  They had GE and also Up&Up (Target's store brand).  The GE's were about $7 for single bulbs and about $13 for two packs.  They had 40, 60 and 100w. Interestingly, the store brand bulbs were a little more $.

Target Up&Up 60watt

I see they are temp price cut down to $6.00 each now...dang.

Ali Express or Amazon. Can find them for around $5 if you dig around. I just got a box of 6 incredibly bright bulbs on sale on amazon for $30

I have the Philips slimline and Cree - both brands bought at Home Depot. The local electric utility company "sponsors" energy efficiency with a subsidy paid to the Home Depot stores so that the LED bulbs are offered cheaply. The Philips slimline were under $4 per bulb for example. Make sure you get the "warm white" or "cool white" depending on your preference; the cool is blueish, the warm is more like the white that incandescent bulbs produce. 

I also installed LED bulbs in my 12V landscape lighting (where an appropriate bulb in wattage and form factor was available). 

I just saw that there are now (pricey) LED replacements for those long fluorescent tubes. So LED technology will be continuing to grow market share in lighting. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.