Supply Plenum not selaed?

6 Replies

I have been replacing the entire duct system in my primary SFR (soon to be rental). One thing that has concerned me is that the supply plenum is wobbly and not very secured. I notice that it is tilting to one side and I can actually lift that side up to an extent. Its wrapped with insulation so I cannot see whats going on. But im thinking that it is not sealed correctly as well, and I may be loosing a lot of air once I turn it on. Any thoughts? Or is this normal and I have nothing to worry about?

Note: This is my first time replacing a duct system

Nothing normal about that @Paul D. . The system should be completely sealed without that type of movement which allows air to escape. It may not be a big deal but it should be looked at by an HVAC guy in your area. That should be something that is caught during an annual service/inspection and they may be able to easily fix it. Good luck Paul. 

Thanks @Rob Beland ,

Well, Since I am already up there replacing the ducts, maybe ill just take apart the insulation and take a look my self. If its just a re-sealing job, it shouldn't be too hard for me to set the plenum correctly with some screws, and re seal it with foil tape, right? I suppose the hard part may be putting the insulation back neatly.

@Paul D. as Rob said, this is nothing serious, but it should be sturdy. Sounds like a simple fix with a few sheet metal screws and aluminum tape.

Why are you replacing duct work?

@John Yanko

Thanks for the response.

The house was built in 79 and its the original ductwork. It is very difficult to cool the house. And I had a technician come look at my HVAC system, and pointed to the duct system as the problem.

Which makes sense, because since I have been up In the attic, I have noticed huge holes in the duct, and a couple of them were not even connected to the fitting anymore.

I guess, another alternative to replacing it would be to just fix the bad joints and holes. But I figure that if im going to be up there anyway, I might as well replace the whole thing and do it right. If I leave some of those joints, its just a matter of time before they rip open, and I don't want to get any calls from the tenants about the house not being cool enough. it gets pretty damn hot here in southern CA.

Ahhh yes, that'll do it....at least the attic was cool 😎💰

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.