Coin opp laundry issue

9 Replies

I have a coin opp washer and dryer in rental.
My tenant is telling me that the dryer is taking to much money to dry the clothes, around 5$ and the washer is leaving “white stuff” on the clothes.

Looking to see if it’s worth trying to fix or to just replace.
Obviously I need to have some one take a look at it. Just trying to see if anyone with any experience with these units can offer some input

Also where to buy and how much would they run me. I’ve seen a huge range of prices when doing a quick look online.

Do you own the units or are they leased? If they're leased, I would call whoever you're leasing them from (CoinMach, Jetz, etc.). If you own them, I would have a technician look at them and would have to defer to their judgement.

@Andrew Syrios I own the units. I called into a company who does appliance repair. Let’s see what happens. Just hoping it’s worth fixing. I’ve seen some units are pretty pricey. Any suggestions on where to go if it’s a replace job ?

I’ve heard about leasing, but it’s only a 3 unit building so not sure if leasing would work.

Have you checked the vent tube and lint filter area? The symptons you are describing sound like it has lint built up inside the back of the dryer or the vent tube going out to the outside is clogged.

Before I paid a service company I would pull the dryer out and disconnect the vent tube and run it on high heat. Within a minute you should feel warm air coming out of the tube at the back of the dryer. If so, that means the tube is clogged going to the exterior of the building and the dryer is working like it should. 

Dryers use heat and ventilation to dry clothes. The heat turns the water to vapor and the ventilation allows the vapor to escape from the clothes and drum. If the vent tube or dryer is clogged you will just end up with really warm wet clothes. 

@Michael Jones I see, thank you for that info.
Unfortunately at this point it’s more cost effective to have a service tech look at them. I live 4 hours away and it costs me 100$ to travel back and forth. I’m moving their in a few months. So for now I have to deal with it. But thank you because I will hold on to that Info. Hopefully this company that’s coming to check them out won’t try to kill me on price. It’s 75$ for them to diagnose the machines. Can’t wait to be closer to my rentals so that I can handle these issues myself.

Originally posted by @Nicholas Weckstein :

Andrew Syrios I own the units. I called into a company who does appliance repair. Let’s see what happens. Just hoping it’s worth fixing. I’ve seen some units are pretty pricey. Any suggestions on where to go if it’s a replace job ?

I’ve heard about leasing, but it’s only a 3 unit building so not sure if leasing would work.

Leasing wouldn't make sense for a 3 unit building. In fact, you might want to consider installing laundry hookups in each unit and requiring the tenants to provide their own laundry machines. 3 units is pretty small for shared laundry.

The white stuff on the clothes is most likely a paper towels or a rug. The machine most likely just needs to go through a cycle with no clothes. This will remedy that problem. Just an FYI I would put a sign up about bathroom rugs and other things that have the nonslip backing. The backing comes off and will clog your pump. As for the dryer it’s most likely your lint screen. Some are fabric, some are mesh. The mesh is the best in my opinion. We own a commercial laundromat and have to clean our dryers out every 2-3 days, but we’re dealing a much larger volume. Shouldn’t be too hard of a fix. I wouldn’t do leasing. The machines will pay for themselves if you have to buy. Commercial washer and dryers will last years with regular maintenance. If you need a source for parts or new or used units, shoot me a PM and I’ll set you up with the people I use. Wish you luck.

agree with @Michael Jones on that, sounds like lint build up. Commercial machines also usually have a way to adjust the heat they use, this may also be a solution by raising the temperature.

@Jacob Workman thank you for the info ! Much appreciated.

I did have a technician go and check it out. And apparently their was a bar of soap in the washer machine lol.

The dryer needed a new thermostat

Cost me 160$ all together. I probably could have figured it out on my own. But being an out of state land lord does have its down falls.

Thankfully moving to the area in about 10 months so I would be able to troubleshoot these things on my own

I learned my lesson this week about lint. Tenant calls about the dryer in a 3 family smelling of smoke and then no heat. I open it up and there was a lint fire! Huge layer of lint inside, and in the vents. Bad, bad landlord!!  After some blind alleys and Youtube videos I managed to fix it, and cleaned the vent, something I will be doing regularly from now on. Could have been a LOT worse!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.