Alarm system for vacant flip

4 Replies

ok so I just recently closed a deal buying a property I plan on flipping. This week I’ve been busy putting in some sweat equity removing the old floors. While listening to the BiggerPockets podcast SHOW!

I’ve heard several episodes where they are sponcered by SimpliSafe and I’m wondering if any of you out there in BP land have used them and what kind of reviews you would give them or is there a different alarm company you would recommend?

I’m very interested in this topic as well. I’ve been rehabbing rentals over he past 6mos and Inam very tired of packing my tools into my 4Runner everyday.

I am rehabbing my first buy and hold and it's in b to b+ neighborhood. got Simplisafe before closing. Doing the rehab myself so i didn't want to have to worry about my tools getting stolen. I pay the $25 a month plan so I can monitor subs who get their own codes and can be programmed on the internet. I can see when they turn it off and when its armed.It also texts me when the power goes out. Worth it for peace of mind. I have thousands in tools that I want to keep.

I just installed a Simplisafe system in a family member's beach house.  They had pipes burst in the winter two years ago, so they were especially keen to install the temperature sensors and water sensors (in addition to all the standard entry sensors, motion sensors, etc.)  The system was a breeze to install and the app is great!  I will be purchasing a Simplisafe system to use on my rehab projects.

I can’t speak to an investment property, but I know two people with simplisafe and they both speak highly of it. Neither of them are great with setting up technology “hardware” but they both did it themselves and were very complimentary about how easy it was. They both said customer support is great and like the no contract method.

The only negative was that one of them had an issue with the motion detector malfunctioning after a few months. It was going off when no one was home (although she DOES have cats — but she insisted it was set up so that cats wouldn’t trigger it, and it was a little odd that it wasn’t a problem until it had been set up awhile).

Her solution was to returned the motion detector and get a few more window alarms. She reasoned that since she had alarms on all doors and windows big enough for a person to climb into, the motion detector was overkill anyway.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here