Calling on expertise of BP DIY community, PAINTING problem

4 Replies

Repainting a pantry in a very large duplex. I TSPed the walls up and washed them, and the top two layers of paint started coming right off as soon as I wet down the walls. The last two colors appear to be beige and then a pastel green. Under that is this hideous baby-puke green from, I would say, the 1960s. The duplex itself was built in the 1920s.

The last time I saw a paint problem like this it was kalsomine paint under the latex in Europe. I can't scratch the puke-green paint with a fingernail, so I'm pretty sure this is professionally-applied flat-sheen alkyd interior housepaint from, again, the 1960s. It's both clean and in good condition.

My plan is to wash down and peel off the walls and ceiling completely, then rinse it all and apply a coat of thinned Kilz Complete oil-based primer followed by a full-strength coat, and then two good coats of Glidden Premium.

Anything you can think of that I will need to watch out for?

@Jim K. Try this. Take a rag with denatured alcohol and rub it. If some of the paint comes off its latex. If not its oil based. At any rate you can put latex over oil base but not the other way around. So of you can put latex over latex, and latex over oil base, the norm is just to go with latex anyway. Sand down as much as you can to rough it up and paint with a good quality paint. 

I dont think its Calcomite because it would be more chalky than what you have described. I would get a lead test also.  

@Bob H.

@Mike Reynolds

Thank you both. I'm worried about sanding it because of the lead issue. Mike, I agree. Kalsomine would be chalkier and scratch. I'll try the alcohol test today.

Oil-based primer should up the adhesion, with 24-hour cure time before I apply paint. It just means a few hours in a mask and closing down the site during dry time. This place is going to be a long-term rental property. I want to lock the paint job down now and and do easy touch-ups on it for the next twenty years between tenants.

Kilz Complete in a walk-in closet is more dangerous than I expected. I was wearing a half-respirator (3M-7000 series) with NIOSH-approved organic vapor cartridges, as detailed in the MSDS of the product, but I could not achieve cross-ventilation, even with the door to the closet removed. The eye irritation I experienced from the fumes also made me dizzy. I've never had that happen before. I had to break four times while priming the pantry closet with oil-based primer.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you