Pex or copper for resale value

9 Replies

First time home buyer in Southern California!! I have old 1954 galvanized plumbing and I am planning on doing a repipe. Just wondering if anyone has experience on whether copper or pex can affect resale value. Thanks!

It won't affect resale value but most people will use Pex because its cheaper. I personally like copper but its costly. I would call the township plumbing inspector to make sure you can use either. I had townships in Pa. that required copper so we had no other choice than to use it.

I’ve completely switched over to PEX. Having done quite a bit of plumbing in both copper and PEX, I’ve found PEX to be just as reliable and much easier to install.

I can’t imagine anyone paying more or less for a house plumbed either way - as long as it’s a professional quality job.

The upside to pex is that it can expand up to 16 times its original diameter, costs less, easy to repair and cheaper to repair. As an investor I would go with pex, simply based on long term maintenance and repair costs. 

As a realtor, my experience is that most buyers are not analytical about their purchase.

For example, if a roof is 15 months old versus 15 years old, there is very little difference in their thinking. In both cases they look at it decide it isn't an issue now and isn't an issue in the near future, so they move on to envisioning how they will live in and enjoy the house.

So, I don't think there is any appreciable difference in the material used for your water pipes as long as its professionally done and doesn't look like it will be an issue for them.

As a plumber you should have your plumber use pex correctly when it’s inside walls. And then anywhere it leaves a wall and in mechanical room use copper.

Pex should be up sized to be equal to copper inner diameter as well as strapped well. Cause it tends to snake when pressurized.

Also depending on location pex has a harder time bursting when frozen.

Also when I say pex your plumber should look into a plastic piping called “Uponor” it’s a great product. Much better then those cheap metal rings pex uses.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you