Need advice on what to do after removing popcorn ceiling

8 Replies

Hi all,

I'm thinking of removing the popcorn ceiling in the house and my question is that after i remove the popcorn ceiling, what is the next step i should do to finish the ceiling. If I want to add texture to it (orange peel or knockdown) which texture will be more easy to do? Do I need to do anything after removing popcorn ceiling like put some drywall compound to it or i can add texture to the ceiling right away?

Thanks,

Niki

It depends on how easy it comes off. If you spray it lightly with water before starting it helps a lot. But if it is really stuck on you will have to sand it down and make it smooth like an eggshell finish. If there are gouges you will need to build it up just like you would a wall.

i would not recommend sanding, messy, dusty, and some earlier materials have asbestos , skimming with drywall mud is a better option, then leave smooth or retexture 

Hi Niki. I removed popcorn ceiling from an area of my live in flip by sanding it and it turned out fine in my situation. I was already planning on repainting the ceiling, so I added a small amount of texture additive to the paint and you can't tell there was popcorn before. That being said, if you want it gone completely I would probably skim coat the entire area (lot of labor/time if you haven't done it before).

I also added some cedar planks over the entry area so I was able to leave this area alone. 

Orange peel is easier. Spray and walk away. The knockdown requires you to run a knockdown knife over the ceiling after you spray

If you are thinking about doing this to an investment property why even mess with it? If the current popcorn ceiling looks fine, just leave it. Save the $2500 & the hassle and use that money to put toward your next deal..

I would take the popcorn down (there’s plenty of tutorials on YouTube) then I’d buy boxes of compound and do a heavy knockdown texture. It covers imperfections with text but remains flat so it has a nice modern look. It’s what I prefer. A little more work than just spraying orange peel but not much and I think the benefits are big.

@Niki C. It will come off with water, if not coming off add water. You will arrive at a ceiling that is taped and mudded but you will need to refill the screw or nail indentions with drywall mud...twice. Then sand with pole sander, prime and paint.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you