Appliance spray paint floor/ceiling registers

10 Replies

...so has anyone done this to save money? It’s a rental.

The original 25 year old brown registers are rusted and some may be worn that would likely need replacing. I’m looking at those that are just rusted and still work.

Has anyone just spray painted with an appliance spray after sanding or chipping away any loose pieces?

I want to go with white since flooring color is changing.

I priced these and they are $7.48 per register. I did not look at paint cost but it might be that the 15 I need to buy would be more cost efficient.

Just wondering if anyone has painted them.

I've painted registers and the plastic covers for bathroom fans, which turn from white to yellow eventually. It works just fine, although I don't think I've had any brown ones.

For metal, you can use the cheapest white spray paint at Walmart or Home Depot, maybe only $1 a can. For plastic, look for something that adheres to plastic.

@Daria B. That works great for a lot of things...AC registers, light switches and outlet covers, towel bars, shower curtain rods, soap dishes, exhaust hoods above the range, the range itself, fridges, windows..heck I even refinish showers and bath tubs with appliance epoxy spray paint...love it...

@Bob H.

@Mark Fries

You know you mention light switch covers and outlet covers, something my leasing agent said to do and I was thinking, really is that going to look cheap even for a rental. I guess not!

Spraying will save $117, cost to replace.

Thanks guys it’s always good to hear what others do and how it worked now out.

@Mark Fries what do you find is more resilient for shower heads - stationary or handheld? 

In all these years I only had one experience with a tenant who said the hand held had broken and was replaced by them and asked for reimbursement. 

For this other rental-rehab I am replacing the hand held with a stationary shower head.

@Mark Fries

Did you ever figure out the light bulb purchases? Or was that mini blinds

In any case, I go shopping for light bulbs and now see the "used to be" efficient is no longer efficient but this newer LED bulb is and the older style I was buying is no longer available in the quantities because they are pushing this new LED. 

And mini blinds, both of these at Lowes and a change out on merchandise. 

The Project Source mini blinds I am going to buy and will see just what they are worth. Everyone is going cordless so not many options. I did read a few reviews and people are saying they are poor in workmanship because the hardware ( that I also saw in-store ) is no longer metal but a harder plastic that broke when the person used the blind. With the older Project Source the issue I had was tenants messing up the blind so I just bought another in it's place and kept the hardware in place.

Let me know what you found for either, I am in search of bulbs mostly since I didn't think there is much of a choice in mini blinds - at least for low cost.

Thanks!

Will have a look at Dollar General/Tree...there sure are plenty around.

Yes, the whole cordless mini blind has really thrown a wrench into my standard. If the project source were not so bad I would not think twice. I've seen the material and can imagine the reviewers when they said "cheap" and "broken at the hardware" without any great force. What makes it worse are existing project source at the window's hardware has to be changed because these will not fit into the metal bracket. Complete redesign.

Just in case anyone is interested in light bulbs, I found these two sites, in addition to Amazon and your local locals (@Mark Fries Dollar Tree/General).

https://www.lightingsupply.com/

https://www.1000bulbs.com/

There is some good info on lights that I didn't know about and can affect the light fixture, potentially I suppose, but also reduce the life of the light. Apparently, and I didn't know this, if the LED light is not "Enclosed Fixture Rated" then it should not be used in a fixture that has enclosure - but let's face it aren't all fixtures mostly enclosed in some sort of way these days.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you