How should I finish edging my backsplash?

3 Replies

Hello, we remodeled our kitchen

and overall it turned out great, except for our backsplash.

I thought the installer would apply a thin edge of black grout to the edge, but instead he applied a huge finger width glob and it looks terrible. He also tiled over one of my outlets so I can't attach a plate. I learned a lot about scope of work, communication, and expectations......

I need to go back and fix the edges of the backsplash on the open edges on the wall and around the window (under the cabinets will be fine).

Should I:

A) Remove the black grout on the edges and install pencil trim?

B) Remove the edge tile pieces and re install new tile pieces with metal trim?

C) Tape my tile and just paint over the grout?

D) Find the guy who installed my tile and punch him in the face?

My first thought would be "D" but I don't generally promote violence! I think some colored caulk would probably fix your issue pretty easily. White or black would look just fine in my opinion. As for the outlet, a hidden outlet is no good and should be fixed. If it's set too deep for the plate screws you can purchase spacers to bring it forward and attach the plate. 

I think you'll end up removing the black grout on the edges, but first try taping it with an edge-holding tape, such as Frog Tape, and then paint the outside half of the grout with the wall paint, making the grout visually thinner. If that doesn't work, maybe you could cut off that grout and, with careful knife work, dig out a little slit under the edge of the tile -- enough to insert a modified metal or plastic edging. You would need to cut the edging so that there is only a narrow piece to insert under the tile.

As for the outlet, leaving it covered violates the electrical code, I think, and of course leaves you missing an outlet. But I'm not sure you mean it's covered up; maybe the tile is just too close to where the screws for the plate go. Either way, you __might__ be able to use an angle grinder to cut away the excess tile instead of removing entire pieces. Make a test "wall" with some spare tile and wallboard or cement board first, and practice on that.

@Bob H. Hey thanks for the response. I tried taping and caulking a straight line on to make the grout line thinner, but it didn't work to great. The tape had a hard time dealing to the grout and some leaked through.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you