Do I need a licensed contractor?

4 Replies

I'm getting into house flipping and rentals. I don't have much experience in construction, but my brother-in-law does construction for a living and he does quality work. However, he isn't a licensed contractor. Should I think twice before approaching him to parter with me in flipping venture, or is it ok that he isn't licensed?

Thanks

In my experience out here in California I have used unlicensed people before, with good references and pictures of there work. One guy did a lot of work and had a licensed contractor friend pull permits and sign off on the necessary things needed by a licensed contractor. The quality and price are really the main things here. If someone is not licensed and does quality work he most likely knows a licensed contractor that can step in when needed to help out. And yes of course there is risk, not sure how much where you are at though.

@Blake Palmer Welcome! Check your local laws about permits and what projects require a permit be pulled. Also ask if an owner can pull a permit and do the work themselves. Look, using a licensed person is always a good idea if permits are required and repairs like plumbing, electric, hvac etc. Your brother in law may be able to get you through your first flip or two if things aren't major repairs. Call some Licensed Contractors and find out what they charge and their availability. Then when you find a flip get their quote on fixing it up. Good luck and keep us posted.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you