Best cordless tool system?

18 Replies

I need an impact driver, circular saw and trimmer (weed whacker).  In the future, I may also get a chainsaw, blower, who knows what else.  The new cordless options look good but it's hard to find non-biased (ie- paid for) reviews.  What I've found, it looks like the top quality and biggest tool selection is Makita, Dewalt and Milwaukee.  It's a huge investment though and I want to stick to 1 brand for compatibility.  I'm also in a relatively remote area.  There's a Lowes and Home Depot, half hour away in opposite directions.  So it'll like be an online purchase.

What do you use?  Where are good deals?  Any Black Friday specials coming up?  These should all be written off as property management expenses, right?

Hey Ryan!

Awesome on wanting a good set up. Just speaking out experience, I've had, and used and abused pretty much every cordless tool brand in the market. I'm a contractor and when I first started I always thought dewalt was the top dog. But years after years of realizing how much trouble I've had with dewalt, I had to make a change. It's obviously really good to stick to one cordless brand because the tools are all interchangeable with their batteries for the most part, meaning a drill battery will most likely fit a cordless circular saw and so on and so on. If you're looking for a really cheap, easily replaceable cordless set that probably won't last forever but will do the job and can be replaced cheaply, ryobi is the way to go. If you want to make the investment and have a setup that will probably last you longer than you ever thought possible, Milwaukee and Makita is my pick. I switched over to Makita about 6 years ago and I still have every single tool that I originally bought, working great, and we use them everyday, heavily. Yea there's an occasional battery to replace ever once in a blue moon, but the tools themselves are amazing. Pricey but amazing. You get what you pay for.

I'll probably get someone disagreeing with me about the dewalt bash, but it's just from my experience. We used them every day, constantly, and I went through countless drills, an unbelievable amount of batteries, and so on. I'd shy away. Anyways, that's my two cents.

I'm a huge Dewalt fan. Makita, Dewalt and Milwaukee are all great brands. Bosch as well. That being said, Kobalt offers a great "no questions asked warranty". I remodeled my first house with their 20v set and returned it for a full refund when the led light burned out. I believe I even went in and had the drill exchanged when I burned it up on a 4inch hole saw. I beat the snot out of that set and they honestly held up better than i expected. I jumped to Dewalt when I realized I would be continuing big projects into the future. 

If you go Kobalt, get it in store at lowe's and make sure you go out to Quik Coupons and purchase a coupon. I get 10% off everyday from that website.  If you go with Dewalt or other big name brands, eBay will likely have the best prices. 

After having multiple jobs landscaping I would never buy any electric landscape equipment. IMO nothing beats an engine when you're outside. I hate trimming with an under powered tool.   If cost wasn't an option I would go with Echo but I have had great luck with Husqvarna. 

Originally posted by @Todd Fithian :

Hey Ryan!

Awesome on wanting a good set up. Just speaking out experience, I've had, and used and abused pretty much every cordless tool brand in the market. I'm a contractor and when I first started I always thought dewalt was the top dog. But years after years of realizing how much trouble I've had with dewalt, I had to make a change. It's obviously really good to stick to one cordless brand because the tools are all interchangeable with their batteries for the most part, meaning a drill battery will most likely fit a cordless circular saw and so on and so on. If you're looking for a really cheap, easily replaceable cordless set that probably won't last forever but will do the job and can be replaced cheaply, ryobi is the way to go. If you want to make the investment and have a setup that will probably last you longer than you ever thought possible, Milwaukee and Makita is my pick. I switched over to Makita about 6 years ago and I still have every single tool that I originally bought, working great, and we use them everyday, heavily. Yea there's an occasional battery to replace ever once in a blue moon, but the tools themselves are amazing. Pricey but amazing. You get what you pay for.

I'll probably get someone disagreeing with me about the dewalt bash, but it's just from my experience. We used them every day, constantly, and I went through countless drills, an unbelievable amount of batteries, and so on. I'd shy away. Anyways, that's my two cents.

Have you tried them out recently? I absolutely love my XR series tools. Seems like they stepped it up. My dad has some of their older 18v tools and I am not a huge fan of those.

From what I've seen, it seems like the cordless stuff has made leaps in recent years.  I also feel like it's a Ford, Chevy, Ram kind of argument - everyone loves one and hates the rest.  Either way, keep your experience and opinions coming!  I'm skeptical of the review sites I'm finding, so I figured this forum would have more real life (non-paid) opinions.

I'm a Dewalt guy. I buy my tools when they are on sale at Lowe's. Recently I bought the 20 amp impact driver. It was listed at $110.00 but I found one for $79.00 and it came with two batteries. Ironically, next to the driver was a package of two of the same batteries on sale for $99.99! I'm not a contractor and my tools are used lightly. I used to use Ryobi and was happy with them overall. I have found that the Dewalt batteries lasted me longer per charge than ryobi did and the ryobi only came with one battery.

@Todd Fithian  makes a good point in what you need them to do. It's a matter of preference.

You might make sure it is not too heavy if you are going to build a .5 acre of wood fence.

Originally posted by @Todd Fithian :

Hey Ryan!

Dewalt 6 years ago was crap

Even 4 years ago.  

Today they are much better 

We use the 120V cordless double bevel it is amazing

Originally posted by @Ryan K. :

I need an impact driver, circular saw and trimmer (weed whacker).  In the future, I may also get a chainsaw, blower, who knows what else.  The new cordless options look good but it's hard to find non-biased (ie- paid for) reviews.  What I've found, it looks like the top quality and biggest tool selection is Makita, Dewalt and Milwaukee.  It's a huge investment though and I want to stick to 1 brand for compatibility.  I'm also in a relatively remote area.  There's a Lowes and Home Depot, half hour away in opposite directions.  So it'll like be an online purchase.

What do you use?  Where are good deals?  Any Black Friday specials coming up?  These should all be written off as property management expenses, right?

I see you want regular tools and yard tools.  Dewalt doesn’t make cordless chainsaws or weed walkers

You may want to see if any of them do.  Even if they do the batteries may not work on all the tools

I'd definitely agree that it's probably a win win across the board. In the defense of dewalt, I might have a biased opinion about them because I did have the older sets, and like Chris Karley said I'm sure they've stepped up their game quiet a bit. One of the guys in the crew has a new Dewalt set and it's a nice set up and he swears by it, but as for the sake of good ol work arguments and "S-talking" we are always bashing each other's brands haha. I've got an older dewalt drill that for some reason has stood the abuse of time and I've had forever, and we call it Ol stinky because it's old and needs new brushes, and every time my dewalt guy and me get to arguing he brings up ol stinky in his defense. So in reality it really is a toss up, especially in today's awesome new tools.

Like you said, it's a Chevy, ford, dodge argument. I will say though, ive dropped my Makitas many times and they are a solid set up, and until me and my guy I've got working with a dewalt set up make a compromise, I'm makita all the way (lol).

Originally posted by @Michael Plante :
Originally posted by @Ryan K.:

I see you want regular tools and yard tools.  Dewalt doesn’t make cordless chainsaws or weed walkers

You may want to see if any of them do.  Even if they do the batteries may not work on all the tools

Not sure when this ad is from, they're all for sale today.

I have used numerous brands over the years with varying success. To put it bluntly I hate cordless tools. Underpowered and dead batteries drive me nuts. I prefer gas power for trimmers and most outside tools.

I have numerous battery power tools that were below 12V rating and converted them to corded by attaching them to lawn tractor batteries. They will run all day and on a 12 V battery the power is limitless.

Good day @Ryan K. ... I'm a union electrician based out of Jersey City, NJ and I own my own electrical contracting company. I work for a contractor that does on average $10 million/year. For years, we had all DeWalt products, drills, impact guns, reciprocating saws, bandsaws, etc. I also own a DeWalt six piece set. Once we noticed other trades showing up on the jobs with the Milwaukee gear, we tried them out. All of us enjoy the Milwaukee product by leaps and bounds over the DeWalt. Makita never came up in the conversation, however I noticed them here and there on jobs and their customers seem to like them. For my own electrical contracting company, I switched to all Milwaukee gear as well. Hope this helps, best of luck.

Originally posted by @Ryan K. :
Originally posted by @Michael Plante:
Originally posted by @Ryan K.:

Not sure when this ad is from, they're all for sale today.

Wow so cool!!!!

Thank you for letting me know

Looks like I am going to go shopping.  Early Christmas present for myself 

:)

Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

I have used numerous brands over the years with varying success. To put it bluntly I hate cordless tools. Underpowered and dead batteries drive me nuts. I prefer gas power for trimmers and most outside tools.

I have numerous battery power tools that were below 12V rating and converted them to corded by attaching them to lawn tractor batteries. They will run all day and on a 12 V battery the power is limitless.

Have you tried the 60 and 120 volt cordless?

Suggest you go to HD rental department ask them what their experience first.  Quality of battery is key. I had to throw away good tools because I can not find replacement batteries and revert  to cord tools.

I am a union carpenter and our crew prefers hilti... They are a lot pricier than the others but durability is second to none.

I am also an investor that does a majority of my own improvements and repairs.. Fot this I prefer Bosch. I have impact driver cordless driver, 2 different sawzalls, skill saw, metal skill saw, hand planer, jigsaw, portaband,numerous lasers and Hammer drill... All run off 18v except lasers. Like the others said it is really a brand preference. 

I bought a lot of them from cpo outlest. Some were incredible deals as they were refurbished, and after owning a few you can just buy bare tools.

As for outdoor equipment I have all gas powered stihl.

Make sure that whatever you buy has a lithium ion battery and is sized at 20 volts or greater. I have a Hilti set which is incredible, but only because it was free. I would never pay for Hilti (waaay to expensive). I would buy DeWalt or Rigid for the cordless impact and drill. I would still buy a corded Skil saw. Mine is a Porter Cable with a laser and it is incredible. If you get a miter saw for trim carpentry make sure it has a 12" blade. If you ever buy a chainsaw, Stihl is by far the best.
Ha! Good luck with this topic! ;) Switched from DeWalt to Makita 6 yrs ago and never looked back. Love my Makitas and other than replacing batteries last year, never had an issue. Never used Milwaukee enough to know much about them. Stihl chainsaws and Husquvarna weedwackers have always served me well. My personal Husky weed eater turned 17 this summer.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here