HEATING SYSTEM. When to convert? When to Switch?

4 Replies

Hey team!! I have a few questions about heating.

1) I live in Massachusetts and only deal within MA and wanted to know when should one replace a boiler responsible for the radiator heating? Is there a rule of thumb in terms of the age and condition? How much does it usually cost?

2) Is it expected and should you convert the fuel from oil to gas heating? How much does that conversion cost?

3) For new rehabs, is it expected and should you convert from a boiler radiator system to a forced air system?

Thank you all so much for your help! :)

Not in MANY, but deal with similar weather here in PA.

Boilers can easily last 50 years, and while I’ve considered replacing for energy efficiency, it just doesn’t make financial sense until they die. And since there are basically zero living parts except for the pump, there isn’t much to break.

So the remainder of your questions are sir if answered. I wouldn’t bother replacing a boiler with forced air unless there’s a good reason to. Adding AC might be one, but with mini-splits, it’s less enticing to add duct work.

The oil -> gas conversion is something I’ve wrestled with too. I’ve considered changing over one of my properties, but just can’t justify the cost. So it’ll probably stay oil for a while.

Service it and ask the heat guy.   If you are flipping it can help if it is a very old inefficient unit but if renting only do it when you have to.

Are you familiar with Mass Save rebates and incentives? If not, you definitely need to look into them. I have lots of experience with them and would be happy to share with you. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you