Selecting neutral paint colors

7 Replies

@Emerson Palame I dont have any experiance with painting flips myself but from what I have heard buying one color that you can use in not only all the common areas (living room, kitchen, hallways) in this current flip but any other flips in the near future. Buying bulk should save you some money. Get a color for all the bathrooms and one for all the bedrooms as well. There are a million different neutral colors to pick from and I'm sure there is science behind some doing better than others. When someone buys a house, at least from my experiance, they want to paint once they move in anyways.

We do pure white throughout.  Flat ceiling, eggshell walls, semigloss doors and trim.  White makes small rooms feel bigger and we use cabinets and tile to provide accent.  These are modern style homes so not sure if this would work in your market / style.  I have found that using the color palettes from the paint companies is 10 times better than trying to choose paint colors individually.  Also, you can check out some comps in your market that sold quickly to see what others are doing.  Good luck.

@Emerson Palame

Only writing here to stress the importance of @Michael Hacker 's advice to check out recently sold retail-market comps before you come to a decision. You can usually do it easily through the MLS or Zillow. Follow the local trends slavishly, however offensively ugly, cheap, or trashy you might find them personally.

I have always done one main color with an accent wall color (usually in living room, master bed and sometimes dining space). I have in the past done the bathrooms in different colors, but find sticking to a single color is easier.

From a contractors view, if your not going to do the work yourself the less colors you choose should save you money. Contractors tend to charge more if you pick a lot of colors.

Just a thought.

One color for the entire home. If it's light enough, you don't even need to paint the ceilings white although the ceilings look really good white if the doors/trim are white also. Kilim Beige is a real safe Sherwin Williams color. We're using Chocolate Froth from Home Depot right now and that seems to be real neutral.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you