Breaking into modular home development in NJ market

Breaking into modular home development in NJ market

Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 1 vote

I wanted to pose this question to the BP community and was hoping someone can provide me with some guidance. I've been heavily involved in rehab / flipping for the past few years and would like to try something new. I was thinking about modular SFH development. The idea is to buy an empty lot in a decent neighborhood and then purchase modular home to put on the site. Outside of the house, I would work on the finishes, materials, foundation, plumbing and electrical. My understanding is that a modular home is significantly cheaper than a stick built home. It also strikes me as an easier development project - a lot of the leg work has already been done by the manufacturer (design, layout, plan). Does anyone has any experience in this space that can give me some advice on some of the challenges? I appreciate any help in advance.

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 133 posts · 114 votes
    6y

    I think it's unlikely you'll find the costs savings you're expecting out of a modular build on a single family home. Where modular saves you money is time which generally means less spent in general conditions and financing costs. Around New Jersey there are a lot of modular single family builders. Start reaching out, they're likely to be able to to tell you what it would take to get from start to finish and handle the entire process for you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.