Concrete steps - ballpark costs

8 Replies

Hi all. In Chicago and looking to redo my front concrete stairs to a brick bungalow. 6 steps and the walkway (about 12 ft) to the city sidewalk. Ballpark estimates on what you all have paid? Also, PSI of concrete (if you know)?

I assume you are getting a permit? You will need one for a porch/steps. 

The last set of steps I poured had so much steel and concrete (per engineer) it was ridiculous. So I'll say $5k-$8k.....

Promotion
Vacasa
Vacation Rental Property Management
We do the work. You get the ROI.
We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.
Free income estimate

@Benjamin E. - I think you'll find a range between $5k-$10k depending on pulling permits and any special details you want like handrails.

Typically, the lower range with be 2500 psi but I'd suggest always using something higher between 3500-4000 psi to avoid cracking.  The cost difference isn't much and being you are here in Chicago with our awesome winters your money will be well spent.

@Benjamin E. A minimum of 4,000 psi for walkways is required in Chicago.  I put in a 6 step concrete stoop which was 60” wide this past February with 8’ of sidewalk 3’ in width for $9,500.  This was from a business friend doing it on the side.  I was quoted upwards of $16,000 from my licensed contractor.  I do not anticipate any pricing has gone down since then, although concrete itself has stabilized.

Good luck

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you