Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jack S.
  • Washington, England
Votes |
Scaling with BRRR ?

Jack S.
  • Washington, England
Posted

Hey all I'm looking to scale the business as we currently have 14 single family homes . Where I live in the uk the whole duplex and triplex etc doesn't exist .

There is a couple of duplex's dotted around but they are the same Price as 2 single family homes and get the same rent

in terms of scaling I've seen bigger pockets podcasts explain you can't keep doing single family rentals , you need to move onto a quad plex etc. 

I'm currently BRRR strategy and it's slow for growth . We have the capital to buy another 8 single family homes but we are looking at other options to grow ?

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

@Jack S. You're in a great position and a lot of people would love to have this problem (my self included)Sometimes to scale and move 3 steps forward, you need to take 1 step back. 

Maybe it's time to sell a few SFR?? We're in the process to list and sell a property that would cash-flow as LTR. Our equity position and quality of the property makes no sense to rent. Maybe you have assets you could sell, combined with the capital you have, and 1031 exchange into a 5-10 unit apartment. This could boost your cash-flow and ease up PM stress (everything under one roof). You're either in love with single family or making the big jump. Tough to decide with these higher interest rates. An investor with 14 SFR isn't excited about another SFH... go fishing for something bigger (local broker) or keep crushing with the SFH on your own.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied

You seem to be doing well. If SF's are working out why not keep doing that? You can start adding MF's but don't stop with SF's. As time goes you could 1031(your SF) into larger properties. I would just weigh your options, connect with local brokers in the MF space and see what deals are going around. Then start looking to buy your first 4+ unit building. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jack S.
  • Washington, England
Votes |
  • Washington, England
Replied

Thanks I appreciate that and yeah they're enough money for another 8-10 Single family homes . Just bought another one with big equity in it and I'm enjoying the process but I'm not sure if it's different where you guys are but the cash flow on a 4 unit doesn't make sense here compared to 4 SFH as they cost the same and cash flow less and equity doesn't seem to grow as much . For a change of scenery I was considering buy 3-4 higher end properties in the city and let the equity build up over the next 5years but scaling over here is abit of a challenge .

Always flipping 1-2 per year also which generates nicely and keeps me moving . 
how would you guys scale if you didn't buy more SFR and the numbers on triplex and above didn't make much sense ?

User Stats

Votes
Stefani Mokris
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Verona, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Verona, NJ
Replied

I would keep purchasing SFHs since you seem to have found a lucrative niche in your area. Refinance every so many years and keep your portfolio growing.

But if you want to experiment with multifamilies, could you try "long distance" in a area where multifamilies numbers make sense?