Probate List

7 Replies

I recently called the Probate Division at my local county, Fairfax County in Virginia.

They said I could come in and use their computers to search by name.  I then asked if there was a way I could get a list of current probate cases and I was told that they can't do that and that they don't usually do that.

Is this normal?  Do I need to go in and use a search function (if that exists) to pull recent probates and write them down myself?

This question is posted on BP no less than 4-5 times per week. Nothing has changed.

Your choices include:

Pulling files yourself and entering the data in a database or Excel file

Paying someone else to do the above for you

Find a data list provider 

An alternative to looking for probates is to market for other characteristics and deal with the probates as they come.

Hi Rick, what do you mean by other characteristics?  Are you referring to other lead types such as absentee owners, preforeclosures, etc.?

no actually sure if this is 100% correct, but i was told that you could go to a main library in your city and find some foreclosure lists if you ask... you may be able to do the same with the probate. Those are public record, yes??

From what I've gathered, a common issue with probate information is that it doesn't make it online quickly enough, or that the information available online is limited.  I don't particularly go after foreclosures, but I do market to preforeclosures.

Good to know that the library is also a possible source for this information.  I may pop into one to see what kind of information is available.

Jose, now that you've had a chance to think about this, I hope that you considered some of those alternative.

When I think of foreclosures, I think of a property with a mortgage in default. The lender has started the foreclosure process but it has not been completed, hence not an REO. However, the process, being public information, can be used for all sorts of great targeting.

Here's one: look for mortgages in default with really small loan balances. When people can't make the monthly payment on a loan with a $30k principal balance, there's a bigger problem then unemployment. Maybe dead?

Another: reverse mortgage in foreclosure. Most RM's are in default due to a "maturity event" which is industry term for dead borrower, balloon now due.

The point is to look for the triggers or evidence of a problem. Lest you forget, you are in the problem solving business.

That's so intuitive.

Thanks @Rick H.  for sharing your insight and thought process.  This is valuable stuff!

@Terrance Brown  

The only way to find probate listings at the public library is to read the legal notices in the legal newspaper on file there.  Probate listings are required to be published weekly for four consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation in the county where the decedent has real property or where he/she died.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.