How to get owner's addresses

14 Replies

I currently have 5 properties which I bought in a particular neighborhood in San Antonio, TX (the medical center area), which I believe to be a great area to own rental properties due to the constant high demand generated by the large employers in the area.

I would like to buy more houses in that same neighborhood and, of course, don;t want to wait for the properties to hit the public multiple listing bucket. I want to contact the owners of those houses (via mail) and offer to buy their houses cash.

I believe the occupancy of the houses in the neighborhood is mixed (about half being occupied by owners, and half by tenants).

Could you guys share some ways to get a list of the addresses for the owners of the houses in a certain zip code? I could only think of one way: asking the HOA, which I'm not sure will work.

Thanks for the imput!

Lucas

Call your escrow company and set a time to pull a list using their Metro scan account. They can polygon and area and extract the addresses. This should be free.

Metroscan will return beds baths size SFR kind of stuff however if you want equity filters then you'll use listsource online and do the same thing. However listsource cost money.

Sometimes the city has owner's name and address listed online.  You can also try beenverified.com which might also produce a name and address of the owner and from there you can look up more information about the owner including their phone number sometimes.

Youre in NY, sorry... Use listsource.com

You can use the Bexar County Appraisal District website: http://www.bcad.org/.  Click "Property Search" from the menu, then query the home vis property address.  Usually the owner's mailing address can be found (see below).  These are not 100% accurate - for example, I don't live at the address below yet, as the property is still under renovation.  

There is also plenty of other good pedigree info and taxing info to be found on the BCAD site.

Escrow company is same as the title company. They are helpful to real estate licensees. A nominal fee for any kind of data pull.

Thanks @Seth Teel  . That is definitely an easy and free way to get info - I just tried it out.

But the problem is that with this tool I have to enter the address for every house, one at a time, which makes it impossible to me, since I would like to get results for an entire street or neighborhood.

Any other ideas on how to get multiple addresses in one shot?

There has to be a way, since I continue to receive mail (little cards, etc) here in NYC from people offering to buy my properties in San Antonio.

Thanks!

Thanks, @Kathryn MacGeraghty  . So any title company (I.e. one of the companies I used when buying these properties in San Antonio) should be able to pull the data for a whole area for me?

I do hope that fee is indeed very "nominal"... ;)

Thanks!

Lucas

@Lucas Bonasio  

Yes, that would be cumbersome.  I thought your mailings were more targeted.  Listsource, yellow letters, and a few others offer the kind of database mining you are looking for.  You may want to search the forums to get reviews of the best services.

@Michael Quarles  

I'm assuming you work for Yellow letters? Would you be able to offer me a quote if I send you an e-mail at the address in your signature?

Thanks!

Lucas

For us, it's usually $5 for a pull. Trying to comply with some anti-kickback law.

there are paid services like listsource or you could write your own application using a real estate API to retrieve this information.  There is also the option to scrape existing sites for the information using a web scraper.

@Lucas Bonasio send me a PM, I might be able to help. I wrote an excel macro to query BCAD for entire streets.

Ross

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.