Buying a Multi-Family Unit....Help Please

3 Replies

Hey guys. I was thinking about buying a 6 unit multi-family house. 5 are 2bedroom/1bathroom and 1 are 3 bedroom. The owner pays for cable, lawn service, sewer service, trash, and water. The unit is $70,000. The tenants pay rent in this area between $550 to $650. I was thinking about putting 20% so my mortgage can range about $400 a month. Do you think this is a good idea? Help please

70k for a 6 unit?  I am not familiar with your market but I would recommend comparing this to other multifamilies that sold in the same area to see if anything sticks out as not being right.  Price seems low unless it is just a really depressed area.

Personally, I would never buy a property where I am set up to pay any utilities, especially cable!

You need to consider a lot of other variables like taxes, insurance, property management, repairs/maintenance/capex, etc.

Do a little more digging and analysis before you move forward.

$70k for the building... or $70k per unit equaling $420k for the building?

Anything over 4 units is considered a commercial property... you'll generally have to do a larger down payment and have higher interest rates over shorter amortization.  You'll likely have a hard time finding someone on the commercial side fund down that low but if you're really generating $3,600 a month in rent on a $70k property (over 5%) you can likely find a private lender and would do fine even on a 10 year note.

$70 for 6 units. I was a little concern because the price was so low. What do owner normally pay as in utilities?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here