What things make a good Elevator Pitch?

3 Replies

Attending networking events and local real estate investment group meetings is a fantastic way to meet prospective sellers and buyers. New and seasoned investors can meet and mingle, exchange ideas and refer business to each other in a more relaxed, yet structured social environment. 

Many people find networking to be hard work and often feel exhausted from the seemingly endless barrage of sales pitches delivered to them from their fellow networkers. What do you think a person can do to make a good elevator pitch?

Depends on what you are doing in Real Estate, and the crowd.  Unless you are a wholesaler, you probably aren't selling some product or service which is what is covered by the Elevator pitch scenario.  

Wholesaler?  Simple, "Hi, XXX, with IBuyUglyHomes. I'm looking for opportunities to help distressed homeowners solve their problems" (General Networking)

If your are networking with other Investors you best bet is to have a deal, hey I got this property under contract, would you like to hear more about it?

If you don't have a deal, "Hey, I'm working this farm area to locate distressed properties, is it an area that you are interested in?"

However, I'd say if you are at an REIA, an find yourself needing an elevator pitch, you are either A) at the wrong type of meeting, B) trying to hard to get business cards. The best profitable relationships are going to be built in social meeting sessions where you may not get to talk to everyone but where you can make an impression on some people.

Speaking is a part of every type of business. The value of explaining your business to people in a clear and concise manner is worth all the money you'll ever make. All businesses must communicate their offer of products or services.  How would anyone know what a business does or that it exists without speaking?

Whether on a stage or in a one on one conversation, an "elevator speech" of 20 to 35 seconds is a useful tool.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here