Opportunity to acquire a 200 property portfolio

12 Replies

I have a close relationship with an investor who currently owns a portfolio of around 200 single family investment properties. They are all geographically proximate to each other and are professionally managed. I am in the process of obtaining rent rolls, expenses, etc. to get an idea of how the portfolio is performing. As of this writing I know 98% of the units are occupied. The investor is highly motivated and is willing to provide a significant portion of the financing to get the portfolio out of his hands. (He's been doing this for over 20 years and is just plain tired of it!)

However, I do not have anywhere near the financial capability of purchasing this property. I would love to work with other investors and create some kind of structure to acquire this portfolio that I know has the potential to be cash flowing from day 1. Unfortunately, I do not know where to go from here. The opportunity is right in front of me and I am turning to BP to help me make it happen!

Where do I begin with this? What should I be looking for? Who should I be talking to?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would start by networking with more people in your area. Your Local REIA group would probably be your best bet.

@Jay Hinrichs

It's probably a safe assumption that it operates around 5-7% vacancy. Maybe even closer to 10% because of the constant tenant turnover in this area. However, as of yesterday 5 of the units were vacant.

David Ziccardi if you want people to help you first what location is it in? What is the asking price? What does the owner want as a down payment? Post the rent rolls and expenses here. Once people know these things they may be willing to partner with you but first they need to know how much cash down will be needed.
(585) 678-6857

@Eddie T.

Understood. Location is Philadelphia, with a large percentage of the properties in the Kensington area. Working on getting all of that info this week. Will make it available on this post once I have.

Usually you could pick and buy certain houses, you do not need to buy all portfolio. And second - for whole portfolio he should offer very good discount. What is the asking price for portfolio and what is total rent ? And what is your strategy? By the way, if you will get a deep discounts and short money - you could sell some of the houses with a good profit and you will keep the rest paid off.

I would be interested in learning more about this opportunity as I am an REI considering investing in Philadelphia. If the opportunity is right, am willing to share at my local REI meeting this Thursday. I can be reached at [email protected] or at (732) 704- 4754. Thank you.

@David Ziccardi,

I am interested in learning more.  Once you have more information you can share I can better assess the opportunity.  Also, is the owner set on selling all 200 at once or will he sell in blocks?

I am interested in learning more as well.  

Irfan Raza, Real Estate Agent in PA (#RS331743)
215-346-6812

Thank you again for all of your inquiries and I apologize for the delayed response. Seller has spoken with several interested buyers (several of which contacted me via bigger pockets) and has decided to hang on to his portfolio as he was unable to get the price he was looking for. While he remains motivated he is unwilling to sell at a price below his comfort level. Thanks again for your feedback everyone.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.