When is a good time to create a late property tax list?

When is a good time to create a late property tax list?

Rental Property Investor · Perry Hall, MD · Member since 2016 · 586 posts · 598 votes

I'm working on a direct mail list using unpaid property taxes and It occurs to me that in the area in which I am searching they don't assess a late fee until the calendar year ends. For those who have experience with this, should I just wait for say mid January to put effort into this sort of list? I feel like a late tax bill holds more weight once it's truly "late".

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2012 · 968 posts · 747 votes
    6y

    You need to determine exactly when the county considers the homeowner delinquent and how the process works from there. Then you will need to determine a criteria to filter the list depending on your market stats and demographics. 

    I have a tax delinquent list that I filtered for those properties that have been delinquent for 2+ years, and owe 5k or more. My reasoning for this criteria is that New Orleans has a median household income of just $37,000. If someone owes 5k or more and has been delinquent for 2 or more years, I think they will be unlikely to come up with the money. 5k is about 13.5% of the median household income. That is a pretty substantial portion of their income they would need to save in order to be able to pay that off, so these people would be more motivated to sell.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.