New Website Approach

3 Replies

Hi BiggerPockets Community,

First, I want to thank everyone here for all the amazing resources and content. I just closed on my first property in April and am closing in on finishing the rehab and have had quite a bit of interest and support from the local community (small town where I grew up).

I'm in the process of creating a website for my new business which I want to use primarily as a lead gen source for buying properties, however, given the interest and support of my efforts I'm considering also including information about the properties I rehab and the progress/before-after photos because the community is really interested in revitalizing the community.  

I'm torn on messaging between the two and focus of the messaging.  My thought is the incorporation of the work I've done will foster good will and consideration as a buyer with ties to the community but having trouble finding a good balance of information and messaging on the website.

Am I crazy for including both and should I just focus on the lead gen cash buying message?  Any ideas/thoughts/recommendations are welcomed as I navigate this process.  Thanks again.

Being authentic is the best way to build a following.

Why would you need to hide the fact that you are going to renovate the properties you buy? The beauty of a website is you can have as many informational and/or landing pages as you need. 

One possible way to separate it is to have the website focus on marketing and lead generation, but have your blog (which can be integrated with the site, or standalone) focus on the day to day "behind the curtains" stuff that a certain part of your target market may find interesting and follow.

Originally posted by @Brett Long :

Hi BiggerPockets Community,

First, I want to thank everyone here for all the amazing resources and content.  I just closed on my first property in April and am closing in on finishing the rehab and have had quite a bit of interest and support from the local community (small town where I grew up).  

I'm in the process of creating a website for my new business which I want to use primarily as a lead gen source for buying properties, however, given the interest and support of my efforts I'm considering also including information about the properties I rehab and the progress/before-after photos because the community is really interested in revitalizing the community.  

I'm torn on messaging between the two and focus of the messaging.  My thought is the incorporation of the work I've done will foster good will and consideration as a buyer with ties to the community but having trouble finding a good balance of information and messaging on the website.

Am I crazy for including both and should I just focus on the lead gen cash buying message?  Any ideas/thoughts/recommendations are welcomed as I navigate this process.  Thanks again.

Your website has 2 functions. And these are the 2 functions of being successful.

Traffic and Credibility. That is the ONLY thing that matters. You don't do anything for the reason of making it look pretty, or interesting, or cool, or...

The only thing you will focus on is, "will my ideal traffic find me", and "once they find me will they fill in my form".

That is all that matters. Now, you can use weapons in your arsenal to focus on accomplishing those 2 tasks.

Showing people you flip houses  is great. Not because it is cool or they want to know what you do tho these houses, but just and simply to show you are actually the one buying these houses. As in, you are not going to list them or wholesale them (if you promise you are buying them).

Then of course no matter what you do you make sure your SEO is on point. For this I strongly suggest you do NOT look to Google, or "expert" marketers or SEO guys. I will promise you they are all doing it wrong. ALL OF THEM!

For SEO, use your own logic and you should be OK.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you