Need Help Saving A Deal

2 Replies

Hey everyone! To keep it short, I have a deal where there is a judgement against the property. Usually, it's as simple as calling the lien holder to get a payoff and getting it paid before closing to clear up the title. In this particular circumstance, the lien holder was bought by another bank and the current bank cannot find her account anywhere.

So, we need them to sign a form that is stating the account no longer exists. We've spoken to numerous people and supervisors and the best thing they can do for us up until this point is send a P.O. box for us to send a letter requesting the proof the account does not exist anymore. 

This will take another 30-60 days to receive (if they actually write us back). Has anyone else experienced this and did you find an alternative? these aren't local banks. It's synchrony bank that is supposed to have the account but doesn't. Mind boggling, I know. Who has dealt with something like this and maybe has a connection to synchrony bank? Thanks in advance!

@Cody Cross I believe synchrony is a provider of credit cards, so I'd be surprised if the judgement was actually against the property and not the individual. I am not sure which other states this applies to, but in Florida, my title company will ignore these judgements if they aren't certified. If it's the homestead property of the seller, they will ignore them even if they're certified. Again, every state is different but it might apply to your situation. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you