Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes

Making an offer on a property that doesn't need rehab.

Doug Eric Gueirn
Posted Apr 10 2023, 03:29

How do I calculate an offer on a piece of property that does not need much renovation or repairs? Will investors take properties that may not have a massive amount of profit? Can I realistically find a buyer that is okay with a small profit if it is all cash? 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Bosco
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Hampshire & Maine
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Hampshire & Maine
Replied Apr 10 2023, 04:49

There are numerous kind of investors. People that prefer appreciation, added-value, rental growth etc. You are looking more at turn-key properties. Decide what metric you're trying to assess (in this case it sounds like appreciation over time) and line it up with your buyers list. Some buyers maybe in your criteria - not all though. Do your own due diligence on buyers and their criteria.  

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 10 2023, 06:21

It sounds like you are wholesaling this property, follow the 65% rule on the purchase and offer the property at 70% to your end buyers. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Cuvelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Twin Falls ID + Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Twin Falls ID + Des Moines, IA
Replied Apr 10 2023, 06:25

As far as addressing your first question, you need to determine the fair market value of the property by researching recent sale comps of similar properties in the area. Subtract any necessary repairs or renovations from the market value to arrive at the ARV - this step may not be necessary if renovation/repairs aren't needed at all. Factor in any holding costs you might incur while the property is being renovated or sold (mortgage pmts, property taxes, insurance, etc.).

As for whether investors will take little cash flow, this depends on investors specific goals and investment strategy. Some investors may be willing to take on smaller profit margins if they're able to purchase them at a lower price and hold for a long term. If you are determined to sell a property with low profit margins, you may need to adjust your expectations and be willing to accept a lower offer.

Ultimately, the key will be doing your own due diligence. 

User Stats

Votes
Doug Eric Gueirn
Replied Apr 10 2023, 14:41
Quote from @Andrew Bosco:

There are numerous kind of investors. People that prefer appreciation, added-value, rental growth etc. You are looking more at turn-key properties. Decide what metric you're trying to assess (in this case it sounds like appreciation over time) and line it up with your buyers list. Some buyers maybe in your criteria - not all though. Do your own due diligence on buyers and their criteria.  

I just want to make sure that I am able to market the agreement to qualified buyers and give the seller a fair price. I understand that time and experience will be the teacher in all this but as I am just starting out, I want to make sure that I am not shooting myself in the foot. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Diossa
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rhode island
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rhode island
Replied Apr 10 2023, 14:44

As mentioned above,by based on what I'm hearing, it seems that you intend to sell this property in bulk. To ensure profitability, it's recommended that you stick to the 65% rule when acquiring the property and then price it at 70% when presenting it to potential buyers.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Apr 10 2023, 14:50
Quote from @Doug Eric Gueirn:

How do I calculate an offer on a piece of property that does not need much renovation or repairs? Will investors take properties that may not have a massive amount of profit? Can I realistically find a buyer that is okay with a small profit if it is all cash? 

Its ALL about the numbers, nobody is going to invest, 250k to make 5 - 10k, or 500k to make 20k,,, PLEASE connect with those doing deals, learn then apply what you learn

Good luck 

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 10 2023, 19:27

Use the same formula you would if it needed rehab.

User Stats

Votes
Doug Eric Gueirn
Replied Apr 21 2023, 00:59
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Doug Eric Gueirn:

Its ALL about the numbers, nobody is going to invest, 250k to make 5 - 10k, or 500k to make 20k,,, PLEASE connect with those doing deals, learn then apply what you learn

Good luck 

So would you say then that $50,000 is most likely the minimum of what a good deal to an investor would be for a property of $300k-$500K?

User Stats

Votes
Doug Eric Gueirn
Replied Apr 21 2023, 01:00
Quote from @Michael Diossa:

As mentioned above,by based on what I'm hearing, it seems that you intend to sell this property in bulk. To ensure profitability, it's recommended that you stick to the 65% rule when acquiring the property and then price it at 70% when presenting it to potential buyers.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere.

User Stats

Votes
Ran Iarovich
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington
Replied Apr 22 2023, 13:17

find a real estate agent who can help you underwrite the current comps in the area using the MLS. Also, try to join an investor mastermind in that area (for free) so that you can hear from the experts who've been in the game for longer.