SECTION 8 RENTALS

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 32 votes
3y

You get certified with your local housing authority,you vet the tenants the same way you would any tenant, The upside is guaranteed income every month, your property needs to pass Sec 8 inspection, (Everyone needs Clean, safe housing). I've been a sec 8 landlord for 5 years, the trick is to get good at vetting tenants.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    You deal with HUD. If you want to cater to section 8, which I don't know why you would, you would want to make it affordable enough to where tenants can afford, even after having their voucher paid off.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 32 votes
    3y

    You get certified with your local housing authority,you vet the tenants the same way you would any tenant, The upside is guaranteed income every month, your property needs to pass Sec 8 inspection, (Everyone needs Clean, safe housing). I've been a sec 8 landlord for 5 years, the trick is to get good at vetting tenants.

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Maryam Mostafa
    You would work with HUD or if in Columbus, CMHA (Columbus metropolitan housing association). It's pretty slow, but depending on the area, you can get more than what the normal market rate tenants will pay. I have some section rentals and they are doing pretty good.

  • Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Adriese Williams:

    You get certified with your local housing authority,you vet the tenants the same way you would any tenant, The upside is guaranteed income every month, your property needs to pass Sec 8 inspection, (Everyone needs Clean, safe housing). I've been a sec 8 landlord for 5 years, the trick is to get good at vetting tenants.


     Agreed, I have about 10 buildings in Chicago, and I cater specifically to Section 8. I came from that type of an environment, so I feel it is my duty to give back. With that being said, we do vet them stringently, and hold them to a standard we do for market rate. To be honest, I have had one tenant in my time who has been difficult to deal with. I take pride in giving people nice clean places to live. 

    I also like the rent on time, which is part of dealing with HUD. I recommend it.

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Maryam Mostafa - That is a pretty open-ended question....there are subsidies in your area that specialize in section 8...for us here in Chicago the main one is CHA Chicago Housing Authority.

    I'd suggest finding out what is local to your area and link up with them...more than likely they will have a ton of information and education on how the process works.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Maryam Mostafa:

    How do you deal with the goverement for section 8 rentals? how do you go about the process. what are the best properties to flip fro section 8? 


     How, Not really sure how to respond, you just do the paperwork and take care of all repairs. Do not go it alone. Hire a PM co, learn the go on your own if you want. . Best props, ALL, 

    Good luck 

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    What market(s) are you specifically looking into?

  • Wyatt WolffPro Member
    Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 466 posts · 278 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Adriese Williams:

    You get certified with your local housing authority,you vet the tenants the same way you would any tenant, The upside is guaranteed income every month, your property needs to pass Sec 8 inspection, (Everyone needs Clean, safe housing). I've been a sec 8 landlord for 5 years, the trick is to get good at vetting tenants.

    THIS!! 

    Make sure that you have a great PM (or are one). You will almost all problems by vetting properly. 
    Best of luck! 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.