Closed on 202-units AND quit my job on the same day!

Closed on 202-units AND quit my job on the same day!

Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes

I started buying rental property five years ago to create a passive income stream. At the time, my realtor and friend who helped me buy the fourplex said “watch out, Real Estate is like crack.” For me truer words have never been spoken.

Late last year, with our portfolio standing at 72-units I made a decision: I could no longer ignore my real estate habit, and was ready to turn my side-hustle into a full-time hustle. Today, that became a reality.

Today, I closed on a 202-unit apartment in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Partnering with one of my mentors, we purchased a value add apartment complex that will provide solid returns to investors and gives me my first taste of being a General Partner on a large Multifamily property.

Today was also my last day as an employee. I resigned from my job a few weeks ago, ready to dedicate all my time, energy and passion into investing full-time. I never expected the two events would take place on the same day, but I’m glad they did. June 2 will always be a special day for me.

Thinking back over the last five years, I can’t believe how much I’ve learned about investing in Real Estate from this site, its members and the podcast. First off, I just want to say thank you to the whole community—for the blogs you write, the conversations you spark on the forums and the general willingness to put yourselves out there for our education.

I also want to offer encouragement to everyone out there. Investing in real estate, however you choose to do it, really is a ticket to financial freedom. I’m not quite there yet, but the “finish line” is in sight. If you’re kicking the tires and evaluating your options—keep going. But make sure to take action and get involved. When we bought our first property, I remember being scared to walk up and introduce myself to our new tenants. I had never managed a property before, and didn’t know anything about the business. But I figured it out pretty quickly, and stumbled my way through an educational first year. And 4 units turned into 72. And now 72 is turning into a new business, a new lifestyle and a whole world of possibilities!

Five years ago I never would have predicted I’d leave my job to start a company focused on buying large apartment complexes. Or that I’d walk away from a career I loved and had been so dedicated to. Or that I’d be so excited about the unknown and where my path will take me next. But I know with the continued education and help I’ll get from BP members, I’ll figure it out.

Thanks BP!

65Reply
159 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 51 votes
9y

Congratulations! Finally found my daily dose of inspiration haha. 

So...you going to give us details on the deal? ;)

See this reply in the discussion

69 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell big high five coming your way.

    Awesome, Awesome very proud of you!!

  • Rich V.Pro Member
    Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 81 posts · 45 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell An inspiration to us all - Oh what a beautiful day that must've been!!!! Congrats on the huge accomplishment.

    Also 1000% agree that BP is an invaluable resource and has and is still changing lives everyday. Keep us updated with your story and how it goes from here.

  • Property Manager · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    Congratulations! Finally found my daily dose of inspiration haha. 

    So...you going to give us details on the deal? ;)

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 210 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    Congrats! Who's your mentor, just curious :)

    yes please share some numbers on the deal.

    btw, Dallas is a great market!

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Awesomeness and congratulations!!

  • Specialist · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 260 posts · 245 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell - Glad to hear. I jumped off about 6 months and I don't regret the decision. Now, you will start to experience some life freedom. Spontaneous workout at 2:18pm - have at it. Spend a hour planning your next vacation. Do it!

    I'm interested. How did you find the 202-unit apartment deal? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 715 posts · 138 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell congratulations! Love hearing stories of fellow BP members on their journey to financial freedom. Great motivation.

  • Conway, SC · Member since 2012 · 114 posts · 44 votes
    9y
    Congratulations Andrew Campbell big props to you!!! What was your other job? I agree Bigger Pockets is addictive to me, I can't get enough education and feel like a sponge gaining knowledge. I hope that REI does the same for me, as I want to go full time with in 2-4 years. Way to go!
  • Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    @Brian Adams  Thanks!  I've followed your success with much admiration, and hoping to continue following in your footsteps!

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    @Susan Knight  I spent 15 years doing research and strategy work inside ad agencies and then tech startups.  Never would have projected this outcome when I started that journey--but so excited it has happened. 

    Get educated, and take action.  I'm sure you'll meet your goals. 

  • Medford, MA · Member since 2016 · 205 posts · 47 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell

    Congrats! Keep it going. It is great to see people turning dreams into reality.  Good luck in crossing the finish line.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    nice work... although I suspect your days will be just as busy if not busier than working a 9 to 5 when your THE MAN... your never off the clock.... LOL... like I like to tell folks this is a lifestyle .. its not an investment a job or anything like that.. its just what you do.. you will figure it out over time.

    Best wish's to future success

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Congratulations!!! It's amazing that you had 72 units and a full-time job.
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    And 4 units turned into 72. That's great math right there. Congrats Andrew Campbell !
  • Real Estate Investor/Broker · Irving, TX · Member since 2015 · 520 posts · 263 votes
    9y
    Andrew Campbell let's connect and talk deal flow. I'll give you a call early next week.
  • Investor · Forney, TX · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Awesome work brother!!

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Just quit your job?

    Let the real work begin.  The work of building an amazing retirement, the work of building a legacy for your family, and nothing is quite as sweet as working on your own business. 

    Congrats brother.  

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell, Absolutely amazing!  Congrats on your new life and what it will bring.  Thanks for sharing your story it truly is quite inspiring to see when you put your mind, heart and soul into something how truly amazing the outcome can be.  Keep on keeping on Andrew and thanks again for sharing!  Congrats!

  • CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    @ Andrew Campbell - where did the downpayments for the 72 units come from? Thank you
  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell Congrats on making your dreams happen.  You've just scratched the surface of what your capable of my friend.  You took down a big fish today.  Enjoy the spoils!!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Macedon, NY · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 290 votes
    9y

    Congrats.  As a guy who is still rehabbing his first unit you are truly an inspiration.

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2013 · 844 posts · 350 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell Please share with us the number on the deal

  • Wholesaler · Arlington, TX · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Congratulations!Very inspiring, thank you.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes
    9y
    Jay Hinrichs I hear you, and looking forward to it. A buddy was joking with me the other day about what I was going to do with all my free time. I said "I now have no free time, but all the time is MY time".
  • Investor/Banker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Congrats! Now start the new journey. Thanks for sharing your story :-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.