SFH Rental Analysis (Spreadsheet)

SFH Rental Analysis (Spreadsheet)

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes

As another test of the new BP file vault, and to give back to the BP community, attached is the spreadsheet I use to evaluate single family house rentals.

In general, the red colored fields are the inputs you probably want to change, and everything is based on those parameters.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread, and I'll try to answer them...

Please consider this copyrighted by me, though you are free to use it in any way you wish as long as you don't try to profit from it...

96Reply
431 views

Most Popular Reply

Irvine, CA · Member since 2012 · 1 post · 4 votes
14y

Scott-

I am new to the site and I apologize if it is right in front of me but I can not find the attachment with the spreadsheet. Can you please inform me of where to look?

Thank you!

See this reply in the discussion

100 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2013 · 362 posts · 115 votes
    13y

    As always J Man, YOU ROCK!

    This gives a detailed analytical view of a property's money tree cashflow worth.

    I artifically tweak the numbers when first looking at a property (because Jason and Mike shared previously to take pro formas with a grain of salt).

    Once I have REAL numbers, I get a more realistic accounting of the property.

    Blessings all,

    Tevis

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Hey J Scott, just downloaded your file and noticed a slight error:

    For the expenses as a % of gross income cell, you have the expense % being calculated off of the rental income, not off of the gross income. I don't think it affects any calculations anywhere, but I was messing around with the expense numbers and noticed the issue

  • Engineering Consultant, Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 213 posts · 61 votes
    13y

    Thank you so much for sharing!

  • Cave Creek, AZ · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 0 votes
    13y

    Thanks for making your spreadsheet available. When you calculate total ROI, I can see where you capture payments against principal but it doesn't appear that you factor in market appreciation. Did I miss it or is this by design?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Bryan Hartlen:
    Thanks for making your spreadsheet available. When you calculate total ROI, I can see where you capture payments against principal but it doesn't appear that you factor in market appreciation. Did I miss it or is this by design?

    I don't factor in appreciation in the spreadsheet as I don't believe it's predictable over any significant period of time...

  • Bristol , RI · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    I was wondering if this sheet could also be used to evaluate houses with multiple units by changing the monthly rental income to what would come in from all units. I am very new to this site and real estate investing. I would like to thank you for the time you put into this site to make learning easier for someone like me who is just starting out.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Frank A.:
    I was wondering if this sheet could also be used to evaluate houses with multiple units by changing the monthly rental income to what would come in from all units. I am very new to this site and real estate investing. I would like to thank you for the time you put into this site to make learning easier for someone like me who is just starting out.

    Thanks Frank...

    Yes, you can certainly use this for multi-unit analysis. You'd just need to aggregate the income and the expenses from all the units...

  • Bristol , RI · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks for the clarification. I had a couple of questions if you would take the time to help me out.

    I see the monthly maintenance and repairs listed at 1200 per month. This does not look to be a function but rather an input amount. I understand that things like landscaping and cleaning services will be a constant with the occasional larger furnace and roof jobs required. I have a lot of confusion in calculating this number due to the 50% rule and many other % rules I hear about in the forums. In all honesty it confuses me. Could you tell me how you calculate this cell if you were evaluating a property?

    Also I am not sure what variable cost pm and fixed rate pm is?

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    New to BP and this is very helpful, Thanks for sharing!

  • Real Estate Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2010 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    I'm not sure why I can't see the link or sheet. Has this post been edited? Where is the spread sheet?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Johnny Nuchols:
    I'm not sure why I can't see the link or sheet. Has this post been edited? Where is the spread sheet?

    The Fileplace has changed since this was posted, and the link was removed from the original post.

    You can find the spreadsheet here:

    SFH Rental Analysis

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 147 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    Very awesome tool! Thank you so much for sharing @J Scott

  • Involved In Real Estate · Garden City, MI · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thank You so much @J Scott

  • Homeowner · Aurora, IL · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Thanks to @J Scott for putting this spreadsheet together. It have been very helpful for a beginner in REI, like myself.

    I do have 1 question for anyone that can answer: How is the equity accrued calculated? Did I miss the explanation?

    Thank you.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jelani Tate:

    I do have 1 question for anyone that can answer: How is the equity accrued calculated? Did I miss the explanation?

    Hey Jelani,

    The spreadsheet relies on an Excel function to calculate it:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/cumprinc-HP005209039.aspx

  • East Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm unable to download this spreadsheet. Anyway I can get a copy of it @J Scott

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    @Kunal Doshi - try again; I was just able to successfully download from the link found on the previous page of this thread:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/88/topics/51334-sfh-rental-analysis-spreadsheet-?page=2#p710025

    Or maybe you have exceeded the download quota allotted to non-paying members; in that case, you can try again in a few days (there is some small time period that is attached to the download allotment limit).

  • Singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thanks a lot for this @J Scott! It's awesome.

    Just a question. Can you give an example of Variable Cost PM & Fixed Cost PM?

    Again, thanks a lot for this. I did my own excel using your Real Estate Analysis blog post and the results on my excel are very close to yours. Just wondering about those 2 variables and how they fit into the whole picture.

  • Humble, TX · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Just wondering if there is any chance that I could get a copy of this spreadsheet @J Scott.

    Thanks

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Sharon Duthie:

    Just wondering if there is any chance that I could get a copy of this spreadsheet @J Scott.

    Thanks

     See Steve's link above...

  • Port Charlotte, FL · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    12y

    I am a new member and could not find the link for your

    SFH Rental Analysis (Spreadsheet)

    Do you mind showing me where to download it?  Thanks

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Scott Nielsen:

    I am a new member and could not find the link for your

    SFH Rental Analysis (Spreadsheet)

    Do you mind showing me where to download it?  Thanks

    [email protected]

    See Steve's link above...

  • Smyrna, GA · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    12y

    nice!

  • Real Estate Broker · Mount Olive, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 310 votes
    12y

    Great spreadsheet for SFR in particular.

  • Real Estate Investor · Harleysville, PA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Is the spreadsheet no longer attached to this thread?   Can someone point me to where I can download it?   Thanks!

    Never mind I found it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.