SFH Rental Analysis (Spreadsheet)

99 Replies

As always J Man, YOU ROCK!

This gives a detailed analytical view of a property's money tree cashflow worth.

I artifically tweak the numbers when first looking at a property (because Jason and Mike shared previously to take pro formas with a grain of salt).

Once I have REAL numbers, I get a more realistic accounting of the property.

Blessings all,

Tevis

Hey J Scott, just downloaded your file and noticed a slight error:

For the expenses as a % of gross income cell, you have the expense % being calculated off of the rental income, not off of the gross income. I don't think it affects any calculations anywhere, but I was messing around with the expense numbers and noticed the issue

Thank you so much for sharing!

Thanks for making your spreadsheet available. When you calculate total ROI, I can see where you capture payments against principal but it doesn't appear that you factor in market appreciation. Did I miss it or is this by design?

Originally posted by Bryan Hartlen:
Thanks for making your spreadsheet available. When you calculate total ROI, I can see where you capture payments against principal but it doesn't appear that you factor in market appreciation. Did I miss it or is this by design?

I don't factor in appreciation in the spreadsheet as I don't believe it's predictable over any significant period of time...

I was wondering if this sheet could also be used to evaluate houses with multiple units by changing the monthly rental income to what would come in from all units. I am very new to this site and real estate investing. I would like to thank you for the time you put into this site to make learning easier for someone like me who is just starting out.

Originally posted by Frank A.:
I was wondering if this sheet could also be used to evaluate houses with multiple units by changing the monthly rental income to what would come in from all units. I am very new to this site and real estate investing. I would like to thank you for the time you put into this site to make learning easier for someone like me who is just starting out.

Thanks Frank...

Yes, you can certainly use this for multi-unit analysis. You'd just need to aggregate the income and the expenses from all the units...

Thanks for the clarification. I had a couple of questions if you would take the time to help me out.

I see the monthly maintenance and repairs listed at 1200 per month. This does not look to be a function but rather an input amount. I understand that things like landscaping and cleaning services will be a constant with the occasional larger furnace and roof jobs required. I have a lot of confusion in calculating this number due to the 50% rule and many other % rules I hear about in the forums. In all honesty it confuses me. Could you tell me how you calculate this cell if you were evaluating a property?

Also I am not sure what variable cost pm and fixed rate pm is?

New to BP and this is very helpful, Thanks for sharing!

I'm not sure why I can't see the link or sheet. Has this post been edited? Where is the spread sheet?

Originally posted by @Johnny Nuchols :
I'm not sure why I can't see the link or sheet. Has this post been edited? Where is the spread sheet?

The Fileplace has changed since this was posted, and the link was removed from the original post.

You can find the spreadsheet here:

SFH Rental Analysis

Very awesome tool! Thank you so much for sharing @J Scott

Thank You so much @J Scott

Thanks to @J Scott for putting this spreadsheet together. It have been very helpful for a beginner in REI, like myself.

I do have 1 question for anyone that can answer: How is the equity accrued calculated? Did I miss the explanation?

Thank you.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm unable to download this spreadsheet. Anyway I can get a copy of it @J Scott

@Kunal Doshi - try again; I was just able to successfully download from the link found on the previous page of this thread:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/88/topics/51334-sfh-rental-analysis-spreadsheet-?page=2#p710025

Or maybe you have exceeded the download quota allotted to non-paying members; in that case, you can try again in a few days (there is some small time period that is attached to the download allotment limit).

Thanks a lot for this @J Scott! It's awesome.

Just a question. Can you give an example of Variable Cost PM & Fixed Cost PM?

Again, thanks a lot for this. I did my own excel using your Real Estate Analysis blog post and the results on my excel are very close to yours. Just wondering about those 2 variables and how they fit into the whole picture.

Just wondering if there is any chance that I could get a copy of this spreadsheet @J Scott.

Thanks

Originally posted by @Sharon Duthie:

Just wondering if there is any chance that I could get a copy of this spreadsheet @J Scott.

Thanks

 See Steve's link above...

I am a new member and could not find the link for your

SFH Rental Analysis (Spreadsheet)

Do you mind showing me where to download it?  Thanks

Originally posted by @Scott Nielsen:

I am a new member and could not find the link for your

SFH Rental Analysis (Spreadsheet)

Do you mind showing me where to download it?  Thanks

[email protected]

See Steve's link above...

Great spreadsheet for SFR in particular.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here