SFH Rental Analysis (Spreadsheet)

SFH Rental Analysis (Spreadsheet)

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes

As another test of the new BP file vault, and to give back to the BP community, attached is the spreadsheet I use to evaluate single family house rentals.

In general, the red colored fields are the inputs you probably want to change, and everything is based on those parameters.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread, and I'll try to answer them...

Please consider this copyrighted by me, though you are free to use it in any way you wish as long as you don't try to profit from it...

96Reply
426 views

Most Popular Reply

Irvine, CA · Member since 2012 · 1 post · 4 votes
14y

Scott-

I am new to the site and I apologize if it is right in front of me but I can not find the attachment with the spreadsheet. Can you please inform me of where to look?

Thank you!

See this reply in the discussion

100 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Pleasant Grove, UT · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I'm not able to access the file.  Is there a link, file etc?  I would love to use this information as a basis for getting started in analyzing some properties!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    Hey folks - As I said above, I don't know what happened to the link.  You can sign up for my Newsletter on my website as well to get access, and I'll talk to the BP folks and see if we can figure out the link issue...

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    Hey folks - As I said above, I don't know what happened to the link.  You can sign up for my Newsletter on my website as well to get access, and I'll talk to the BP folks and see if we can figure out the link issue...

    Jason - none of your fileplace content seems to be present at the time of this post; Google search using the following will show the various files that once were there :

    site:biggerpockets.com/files/user/JasonScott/file

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    Hey folks - As I said above, I don't know what happened to the link.  You can sign up for my Newsletter on my website as well to get access, and I'll talk to the BP folks and see if we can figure out the link issue...

    Jason - none of your fileplace content seems to be present at the time of this post; Google search using the following will show the various files that once were there :

    site:biggerpockets.com/files/user/JasonScott/file

    Wow, I didn't realize they all disappeared...

    @Joshua D. - Probably not high priority for the development team, but maybe worth looking into?

    I can re-upload, but then there will be a lot of dead links in older posts...

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    @J Scott - We'll have that fixed shortly.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    @J Scott,

    Should be working again.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Robert Perry:

    @J Scott,

    Should be working again.

    Thanks Robert!

    Folks - Here is a link to the spreadsheet in the Fileplace:

    SFH Rental Analysis - Spreadsheet

  • Paducah , KY · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    This is very useful. @J Scott do you care to explain the formula for row 43 Equity accrued? Thanks!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tom Howard:

    This is very useful. @J Scott do you care to explain the formula for row 43 Equity accrued? Thanks!

     This is an Excel function that will calculate the amount of principal paid during a specific period given other loan terms/conditions:

    http://www.excelfunctions.net/Excel-Cumprinc-Funct...

  • Paducah , KY · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thanks @J Scott

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Thank you

  • Cave Creek, AZ · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Revisiting this spreadsheet...assuming it's still applicable. Thanks!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thank you for the spreadsheet. It is one of the best resources I have found.

    However, I'm having difficulty understanding why the Total Cash Flow row (row 41) is always expressed in a positive number. For negative total cash flow, it changes to a positive number for the rest of the calculations. Is there something I am missing?

    Edit- from what I'm understanding the parenthesis indicate negative cash flow.

    However, I am also wondering why CapEX is not included in these calculations?

  • Havertown, PA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks for this J Scott

  • Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Thank you J Scott ! This is a very useful spreadsheet and I will use it often.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cloquet, MN · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    new to bp. where do i see attached excell file

  • Rental Property Investor · Aiken, SC · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jesse Bryant:

    new to bp. where do i see attached excell file

     Look up about 6-7 posts on this thread and it is there.  I just downloaded it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    @J Scott

    Thank you for the spreadsheet. Is there a change that we could make that would enable us to calculate paying the mortgage on a biweekly basis to minimize interest and gain equity faster?

  • Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    I can't seem to find the spreadsheet. Please advise

  • Strathmr Vlg, KY · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Cole McKeon:

    I can't seem to find the spreadsheet. Please advise

    J Scott linked it 12 posts higher than yours on this same page... 

    But here it is again.

  • Investor · Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Hello where can I find this spreadsheet to analyze deals? 

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    I know this is a relatively old discussion, but the spreadsheet is not available, so need assistance expediting so I can analyze a couple potential deals. Additionally, is this applicable to commercial deals(apartments of 5-10 units) as well? Thanks in advance.

  • east Texas · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Great Spreadsheet.  It really helps to break the process down and make it more digestible.  (By the way, you can find a link to it 3 posts up from this one!)

  • Randolph, MA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Thanks for this! I was able to find the files by searching (as someone indicated above): site:biggerpockets.com/files/user/JasonScott/file

  • New to Real Estate · Acworth, GA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    J - I hope this thread is still alive.  It has been around for a long time!  With respect to your comment:

         "That said, some people around here (myself included) will generally say "Expenses" when we mean "Vacancy/Rent Loss, Expenses and CapEx". From and accounting standpoint, this is incorrect (since neither vacancy nor capex are really expenses), but it makes some of the ratios (like the 50% Rule) easier to calculate,"

    If we wanted to accrue the Capex money, we would account for that in the expense category. Yes? It seems wise to me to do that to try and minimize (as much as possible) any surprises that may blindside us in the near or far future. And from an accounting perspective (I'm not a CPA), I see nothing wrong with it although I do understand how it could skew the 'pure' version of the 50% rule in a very small way. Thoughts?

         Also, I notice that in your calculation for "Expenses as a % of Gross Income," you are subtracting the negative number on line 19; Vacancy/Loss Value.  For example, in column F on line 34: =(F33-F19)/F17.  Should not F19 be an addition in this formula so that you account for its singular value instead of possibly doubling its value by subtracting it twice?

    Thanks, Scotty

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.