Brandon Turner: Insufferable Grifter or Tone Deaf

Brandon Turner: Insufferable Grifter or Tone Deaf

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes

Fresh off the heels of losing $15 million dollars of your money, and by his own account, likely more if he cannot sell more coaching and education products to take enough new investors money to use to save the other failing investments he spent previous investors money on. The self proclaimed "Christian Investor" Brandon Turner is running this promotion on social media. 

...."Careful Investors Often Miss the Biggest Opportunities".... C'mon bro. Is this guy for real with this crap?

Is Brandon Turner an Insufferable Grifter or Tone Deaf?

P.S.

For those of you not in the know, you can learn more about all of the people's money he lost by clicking the link below.

Did Brandon Turner really lose $14M of investor money while pocketing $4.4M???

6Reply
2,086 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
1mo

ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 

See this reply in the discussion

90 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1mo

    ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

    We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

    from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

    Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

    I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

    Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


       On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.  

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period. 

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up. 

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


       On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.  

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period. 

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up. 


       Anyone with a half a brain knows eating gas station sushi is safer than handing your money over to someone like Brandon Turner.

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
      1mo

      @James Wise everyone is a genius in hindsight. You are literally on the platform he was a part of for the better part of a decade. The infrastructure, the format, the community, was built partly by his influence. Would I have given him my money, it depends on the business plan. But his expertise was in single family, if not I don't think this platform exists. 

      He isn't the first to lose on a deal and won't be the last. I dont necessarily how he is getting back in the flow of things but he has to get back out there. If he wants to stay relevant. That's just the world we live in. He didn't hide, or run. He is back at it again. 

    • V.G JasonPro Member
      Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @V.G Jason:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?


      Commend him for losing 15million, are you insane. Condemn him where? Take him to the woodshed and beat him up? what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam. 

      There was a plan, it failed. There are at least 7-10 failed syndication deals in my city. 5 within 2 miles of where i live over 50 million Dollars in property that DID NOT SALE!!! THE BANK TOOK IT BACK!!!  At least BT didn't do that. He was able to sell and only loose 15mil. vs EVERYTHING. 

      Operators are not all the same in Multifamily investing. Yes you can force appreciation through value-add, but its not a 1-off like single family homes. you have to do that multiples of times. The multifamily market is absolutely full of properties that failed. Check the Dallas Ft-Worth market right now. The inventory of failed deals is astounding. 

      I commend him for stopping the bleeding. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt he carried on the property. You have to be know better than that. There was a probably a reason but still adjustable rate debt is probably what it took to close the deal. Yes I will say Shame on you Brandon Turner. But the investor saw it Pitchbook/OM and took the RISK!. 

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?


      Commend him for losing 15million, are you insane. Condemn him where? Take him to the woodshed and beat him up? what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam. 

      There was a plan, it failed. There are at least 7-10 failed syndication deals in my city. 5 within 2 miles of where i live over 50 million Dollars in property that DID NOT SALE!!! THE BANK TOOK IT BACK!!!  At least BT didn't do that. He was able to sell and only loose 15mil. vs EVERYTHING. 

      Operators are not all the same in Multifamily investing. Yes you can force appreciation through value-add, but its not a 1-off like single family homes. you have to do that multiples of times. The multifamily market is absolutely full of properties that failed. Check the Dallas Ft-Worth market right now. The inventory of failed deals is astounding. 

      I commend him for stopping the bleeding. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt he carried on the property. You have to be know better than that. There was a probably a reason but still adjustable rate debt is probably what it took to close the deal. Yes I will say Shame on you Brandon Turner. But the investor saw it Pitchbook/OM and took the RISK!. 


      Jamie as it relates to the deal were 15k mil was lost..  the investors did lose EVERYTHING the bank took the property and wiped out the investors 100% gone. Which of course is the inherint risk of syndication. LPs are the last one in the capital stack and take the most risk as we have seen play out here in the last few years.  But generally I agree with your thought process
    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?


      Commend him for losing 15million, are you insane. Condemn him where? Take him to the woodshed and beat him up? what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam. 

      There was a plan, it failed. There are at least 7-10 failed syndication deals in my city. 5 within 2 miles of where i live over 50 million Dollars in property that DID NOT SALE!!! THE BANK TOOK IT BACK!!!  At least BT didn't do that. He was able to sell and only loose 15mil. vs EVERYTHING. 

      Operators are not all the same in Multifamily investing. Yes you can force appreciation through value-add, but its not a 1-off like single family homes. you have to do that multiples of times. The multifamily market is absolutely full of properties that failed. Check the Dallas Ft-Worth market right now. The inventory of failed deals is astounding. 

      I commend him for stopping the bleeding. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt he carried on the property. You have to be know better than that. There was a probably a reason but still adjustable rate debt is probably what it took to close the deal. Yes I will say Shame on you Brandon Turner. But the investor saw it Pitchbook/OM and took the RISK!. 


      Jamie as it relates to the deal were 15k mil was lost..  the investors did lose EVERYTHING the bank took the property and wiped out the investors 100% gone. Which of course is the inherint risk of syndication. LPs are the last one in the capital stack and take the most risk as we have seen play out here in the last few years.  But generally I agree with your thought process

       The way i heard it, He said he was able to sell the property. They didnt hit the valuation the business plan porposed, but it was sold not in default. The preferred equity was returned the LP capital was the 15m

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?


      Commend him for losing 15million, are you insane. Condemn him where? Take him to the woodshed and beat him up? what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam. 

      There was a plan, it failed. There are at least 7-10 failed syndication deals in my city. 5 within 2 miles of where i live over 50 million Dollars in property that DID NOT SALE!!! THE BANK TOOK IT BACK!!!  At least BT didn't do that. He was able to sell and only loose 15mil. vs EVERYTHING. 

      Operators are not all the same in Multifamily investing. Yes you can force appreciation through value-add, but its not a 1-off like single family homes. you have to do that multiples of times. The multifamily market is absolutely full of properties that failed. Check the Dallas Ft-Worth market right now. The inventory of failed deals is astounding. 

      I commend him for stopping the bleeding. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt he carried on the property. You have to be know better than that. There was a probably a reason but still adjustable rate debt is probably what it took to close the deal. Yes I will say Shame on you Brandon Turner. But the investor saw it Pitchbook/OM and took the RISK!. 


      Jamie as it relates to the deal were 15k mil was lost..  the investors did lose EVERYTHING the bank took the property and wiped out the investors 100% gone. Which of course is the inherint risk of syndication. LPs are the last one in the capital stack and take the most risk as we have seen play out here in the last few years.  But generally I agree with your thought process

       The way i heard it, He said he was able to sell the property. They didnt hit the valuation the business plan porposed, but it was sold not in default. The preferred equity was returned the LP capital was the 15m


       I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but on IG Brandon Turner said he had several other projects that are probably gonna fail and wipe out all those investors too.

      His plan to try to stop that from happening is to scale his education business so he can take that revenue and put it into these failing investments.

      You gotta ask yourself, is a dude who's selling "how to make money in real estate education" products for the sole purpose of paying for his failed failed real estate investments someone you wanna look up to? Someone you wanna commend for getting "back on the saddle."

      C'mon dude, the guy is a turd. It's that simple.

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?


      Commend him for losing 15million, are you insane. Condemn him where? Take him to the woodshed and beat him up? what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam. 

      There was a plan, it failed. There are at least 7-10 failed syndication deals in my city. 5 within 2 miles of where i live over 50 million Dollars in property that DID NOT SALE!!! THE BANK TOOK IT BACK!!!  At least BT didn't do that. He was able to sell and only loose 15mil. vs EVERYTHING. 

      Operators are not all the same in Multifamily investing. Yes you can force appreciation through value-add, but its not a 1-off like single family homes. you have to do that multiples of times. The multifamily market is absolutely full of properties that failed. Check the Dallas Ft-Worth market right now. The inventory of failed deals is astounding. 

      I commend him for stopping the bleeding. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt he carried on the property. You have to be know better than that. There was a probably a reason but still adjustable rate debt is probably what it took to close the deal. Yes I will say Shame on you Brandon Turner. But the investor saw it Pitchbook/OM and took the RISK!. 


      Jamie as it relates to the deal were 15k mil was lost..  the investors did lose EVERYTHING the bank took the property and wiped out the investors 100% gone. Which of course is the inherint risk of syndication. LPs are the last one in the capital stack and take the most risk as we have seen play out here in the last few years.  But generally I agree with your thought process

       The way i heard it, He said he was able to sell the property. They didnt hit the valuation the business plan porposed, but it was sold not in default. The preferred equity was returned the LP capital was the 15m


       I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but on IG Brandon Turner said he had several other projects that are probably gonna fail and wipe out all those investors too.

      His plan to try to stop that from happening is to scale his education business so he can take that revenue and put it into these failing investments.

      You gotta ask yourself, is a dude who's selling "how to make money in real estate education" products for the sole purpose of paying for his failed failed real estate investments someone you wanna look up to? Someone you wanna commend for getting "back on the saddle."

      C'mon dude, the guy is a turd. It's that simple.

       @James Wise So if the investment loses 15million you want to condemn him. If he tries to do something to stop it, you condemn him still? That sounds like your already hate the guy. Seeing him online trying  "raise" his own funds through selling of merch to save the other investments is bad too? 

      So what would you do after losing 15m. Leave the country like so many of the guys in Houston did? or Actually give a F**k and try to do something to salvage? Dang bro you are impossible. Now if you just want to talk s**t online, you have that right. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt mostly, but the rest could have happened to anyone. Just like its happening to so many investors in the market right now, he isnt the only one. Its not even close. 

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?


      Commend him for losing 15million, are you insane. Condemn him where? Take him to the woodshed and beat him up? what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam. 

      There was a plan, it failed. There are at least 7-10 failed syndication deals in my city. 5 within 2 miles of where i live over 50 million Dollars in property that DID NOT SALE!!! THE BANK TOOK IT BACK!!!  At least BT didn't do that. He was able to sell and only loose 15mil. vs EVERYTHING. 

      Operators are not all the same in Multifamily investing. Yes you can force appreciation through value-add, but its not a 1-off like single family homes. you have to do that multiples of times. The multifamily market is absolutely full of properties that failed. Check the Dallas Ft-Worth market right now. The inventory of failed deals is astounding. 

      I commend him for stopping the bleeding. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt he carried on the property. You have to be know better than that. There was a probably a reason but still adjustable rate debt is probably what it took to close the deal. Yes I will say Shame on you Brandon Turner. But the investor saw it Pitchbook/OM and took the RISK!. 


      Jamie as it relates to the deal were 15k mil was lost..  the investors did lose EVERYTHING the bank took the property and wiped out the investors 100% gone. Which of course is the inherint risk of syndication. LPs are the last one in the capital stack and take the most risk as we have seen play out here in the last few years.  But generally I agree with your thought process

       The way i heard it, He said he was able to sell the property. They didnt hit the valuation the business plan porposed, but it was sold not in default. The preferred equity was returned the LP capital was the 15m


       I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but on IG Brandon Turner said he had several other projects that are probably gonna fail and wipe out all those investors too.

      His plan to try to stop that from happening is to scale his education business so he can take that revenue and put it into these failing investments.

      You gotta ask yourself, is a dude who's selling "how to make money in real estate education" products for the sole purpose of paying for his failed failed real estate investments someone you wanna look up to? Someone you wanna commend for getting "back on the saddle."

      C'mon dude, the guy is a turd. It's that simple.

       @James Wise So if the investment loses 15million you want to condemn him. If he tries to do something to stop it, you condemn him still? That sounds like your already hate the guy. Seeing him online trying  "raise" his own funds through selling of merch to save the other investments is bad too? 

      So what would you do after losing 15m. Leave the country like so many of the guys in Houston did? or Actually give a F**k and try to do something to salvage? Dang bro you are impossible. Now if you just want to talk s**t online, you have that right. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt mostly, but the rest could have happened to anyone. Just like its happening to so many investors in the market right now, he isnt the only one. Its not even close. 


       He literally started a company that teaches people how to invest in real estate in order to bail out his failed real estate bro.....

      like c'mon. Can you not see the irony of this?

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?


      Commend him for losing 15million, are you insane. Condemn him where? Take him to the woodshed and beat him up? what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam. 

      There was a plan, it failed. There are at least 7-10 failed syndication deals in my city. 5 within 2 miles of where i live over 50 million Dollars in property that DID NOT SALE!!! THE BANK TOOK IT BACK!!!  At least BT didn't do that. He was able to sell and only loose 15mil. vs EVERYTHING. 

      Operators are not all the same in Multifamily investing. Yes you can force appreciation through value-add, but its not a 1-off like single family homes. you have to do that multiples of times. The multifamily market is absolutely full of properties that failed. Check the Dallas Ft-Worth market right now. The inventory of failed deals is astounding. 

      I commend him for stopping the bleeding. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt he carried on the property. You have to be know better than that. There was a probably a reason but still adjustable rate debt is probably what it took to close the deal. Yes I will say Shame on you Brandon Turner. But the investor saw it Pitchbook/OM and took the RISK!. 


      Jamie as it relates to the deal were 15k mil was lost..  the investors did lose EVERYTHING the bank took the property and wiped out the investors 100% gone. Which of course is the inherint risk of syndication. LPs are the last one in the capital stack and take the most risk as we have seen play out here in the last few years.  But generally I agree with your thought process

       The way i heard it, He said he was able to sell the property. They didnt hit the valuation the business plan porposed, but it was sold not in default. The preferred equity was returned the LP capital was the 15m


       I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but on IG Brandon Turner said he had several other projects that are probably gonna fail and wipe out all those investors too.

      His plan to try to stop that from happening is to scale his education business so he can take that revenue and put it into these failing investments.

      You gotta ask yourself, is a dude who's selling "how to make money in real estate education" products for the sole purpose of paying for his failed failed real estate investments someone you wanna look up to? Someone you wanna commend for getting "back on the saddle."

      C'mon dude, the guy is a turd. It's that simple.

       @James Wise So if the investment loses 15million you want to condemn him. If he tries to do something to stop it, you condemn him still? That sounds like your already hate the guy. Seeing him online trying  "raise" his own funds through selling of merch to save the other investments is bad too? 

      So what would you do after losing 15m. Leave the country like so many of the guys in Houston did? or Actually give a F**k and try to do something to salvage? Dang bro you are impossible. Now if you just want to talk s**t online, you have that right. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt mostly, but the rest could have happened to anyone. Just like its happening to so many investors in the market right now, he isnt the only one. Its not even close. 


       He literally started a company that teaches people how to invest in real estate in order to bail out his failed real estate bro.....

      like c'mon. Can you not see the irony of this?

      Lemme ask you this.

      If I told you that I had this swimming business, but it was failing because I dont know how to swim, but I had a plan to save it by starting another business selling a course on how to swim, what would you say to me? Would you want your kids learning how to swim by buying my course?

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?


      Commend him for losing 15million, are you insane. Condemn him where? Take him to the woodshed and beat him up? what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam. 

      There was a plan, it failed. There are at least 7-10 failed syndication deals in my city. 5 within 2 miles of where i live over 50 million Dollars in property that DID NOT SALE!!! THE BANK TOOK IT BACK!!!  At least BT didn't do that. He was able to sell and only loose 15mil. vs EVERYTHING. 

      Operators are not all the same in Multifamily investing. Yes you can force appreciation through value-add, but its not a 1-off like single family homes. you have to do that multiples of times. The multifamily market is absolutely full of properties that failed. Check the Dallas Ft-Worth market right now. The inventory of failed deals is astounding. 

      I commend him for stopping the bleeding. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt he carried on the property. You have to be know better than that. There was a probably a reason but still adjustable rate debt is probably what it took to close the deal. Yes I will say Shame on you Brandon Turner. But the investor saw it Pitchbook/OM and took the RISK!. 


      Jamie as it relates to the deal were 15k mil was lost..  the investors did lose EVERYTHING the bank took the property and wiped out the investors 100% gone. Which of course is the inherint risk of syndication. LPs are the last one in the capital stack and take the most risk as we have seen play out here in the last few years.  But generally I agree with your thought process

       The way i heard it, He said he was able to sell the property. They didnt hit the valuation the business plan porposed, but it was sold not in default. The preferred equity was returned the LP capital was the 15m


       I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but on IG Brandon Turner said he had several other projects that are probably gonna fail and wipe out all those investors too.

      His plan to try to stop that from happening is to scale his education business so he can take that revenue and put it into these failing investments.

      You gotta ask yourself, is a dude who's selling "how to make money in real estate education" products for the sole purpose of paying for his failed failed real estate investments someone you wanna look up to? Someone you wanna commend for getting "back on the saddle."

      C'mon dude, the guy is a turd. It's that simple.

       @James Wise So if the investment loses 15million you want to condemn him. If he tries to do something to stop it, you condemn him still? That sounds like your already hate the guy. Seeing him online trying  "raise" his own funds through selling of merch to save the other investments is bad too? 

      So what would you do after losing 15m. Leave the country like so many of the guys in Houston did? or Actually give a F**k and try to do something to salvage? Dang bro you are impossible. Now if you just want to talk s**t online, you have that right. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt mostly, but the rest could have happened to anyone. Just like its happening to so many investors in the market right now, he isnt the only one. Its not even close. 


       He literally started a company that teaches people how to invest in real estate in order to bail out his failed real estate bro.....

      like c'mon. Can you not see the irony of this?


       what else is he gonna do. Go clock in at the warehouse? Get a job? It's called a fire sale. If he did't do anything illegal, i don't see anything wrong. He is working to keep the other "couple" deals afloat. Ironic yea, but now isnt the time to quit. Its actually smart. He failed in 1 multifamily deal at this point. 300+ door asset of 13,000 doors of multifamily. He is willing to sell half of his education company to try to save a "couple" others. 

      Hip hop artists will file bankruptcy so you cant get their money/assets, BT is literally attempting to sell what he has to save other peoples investment. To do so, he needs increase the EBITDA of his business to sell 50% of it. That means he needs to sell merch courses and books. Get to work. If im an investor, thats what im saying. Get after it.  He may knows a thing or 2 owning 13,000 doors of apartments, so no he's not a grifter especially if he is doing what he can to save it. 

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?


      Commend him for losing 15million, are you insane. Condemn him where? Take him to the woodshed and beat him up? what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam. 

      There was a plan, it failed. There are at least 7-10 failed syndication deals in my city. 5 within 2 miles of where i live over 50 million Dollars in property that DID NOT SALE!!! THE BANK TOOK IT BACK!!!  At least BT didn't do that. He was able to sell and only loose 15mil. vs EVERYTHING. 

      Operators are not all the same in Multifamily investing. Yes you can force appreciation through value-add, but its not a 1-off like single family homes. you have to do that multiples of times. The multifamily market is absolutely full of properties that failed. Check the Dallas Ft-Worth market right now. The inventory of failed deals is astounding. 

      I commend him for stopping the bleeding. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt he carried on the property. You have to be know better than that. There was a probably a reason but still adjustable rate debt is probably what it took to close the deal. Yes I will say Shame on you Brandon Turner. But the investor saw it Pitchbook/OM and took the RISK!. 


      Jamie as it relates to the deal were 15k mil was lost..  the investors did lose EVERYTHING the bank took the property and wiped out the investors 100% gone. Which of course is the inherint risk of syndication. LPs are the last one in the capital stack and take the most risk as we have seen play out here in the last few years.  But generally I agree with your thought process

       The way i heard it, He said he was able to sell the property. They didnt hit the valuation the business plan porposed, but it was sold not in default. The preferred equity was returned the LP capital was the 15m


       I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but on IG Brandon Turner said he had several other projects that are probably gonna fail and wipe out all those investors too.

      His plan to try to stop that from happening is to scale his education business so he can take that revenue and put it into these failing investments.

      You gotta ask yourself, is a dude who's selling "how to make money in real estate education" products for the sole purpose of paying for his failed failed real estate investments someone you wanna look up to? Someone you wanna commend for getting "back on the saddle."

      C'mon dude, the guy is a turd. It's that simple.

       @James Wise So if the investment loses 15million you want to condemn him. If he tries to do something to stop it, you condemn him still? That sounds like your already hate the guy. Seeing him online trying  "raise" his own funds through selling of merch to save the other investments is bad too? 

      So what would you do after losing 15m. Leave the country like so many of the guys in Houston did? or Actually give a F**k and try to do something to salvage? Dang bro you are impossible. Now if you just want to talk s**t online, you have that right. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt mostly, but the rest could have happened to anyone. Just like its happening to so many investors in the market right now, he isnt the only one. Its not even close. 


       He literally started a company that teaches people how to invest in real estate in order to bail out his failed real estate bro.....

      like c'mon. Can you not see the irony of this?

      Lemme ask you this.

      If I told you that I had this swimming business, but it was failing because I dont know how to swim, but I had a plan to save it by starting another business selling a course on how to swim, what would you say to me? Would you want your kids learning how to swim by buying my course?


       If i was the guy that owned the real estate, Yes. You pose no risk buy selling a book but you can generate revenue to pay my rent. If I didnt know how to swim and wanted to start a swimming business, I would need to hire some help. The YMCA has a swimming class that you have to pay for. There are nearly 0 things you can learn for free these days. Everything is a course. Its been that way for at least a decade now. 

      BT lost 300+ doors of 13,000. I would not want to loss any but he definitely is qualified to sell a course about what he knows on the subject. Does one have to be perfect to teach? 

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?


      Commend him for losing 15million, are you insane. Condemn him where? Take him to the woodshed and beat him up? what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam. 

      There was a plan, it failed. There are at least 7-10 failed syndication deals in my city. 5 within 2 miles of where i live over 50 million Dollars in property that DID NOT SALE!!! THE BANK TOOK IT BACK!!!  At least BT didn't do that. He was able to sell and only loose 15mil. vs EVERYTHING. 

      Operators are not all the same in Multifamily investing. Yes you can force appreciation through value-add, but its not a 1-off like single family homes. you have to do that multiples of times. The multifamily market is absolutely full of properties that failed. Check the Dallas Ft-Worth market right now. The inventory of failed deals is astounding. 

      I commend him for stopping the bleeding. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt he carried on the property. You have to be know better than that. There was a probably a reason but still adjustable rate debt is probably what it took to close the deal. Yes I will say Shame on you Brandon Turner. But the investor saw it Pitchbook/OM and took the RISK!. 

      >what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam.

       If the reports are accurate, at a minimum there was intentional deception if not outright fraud.  Stating the offering is not a scam is dubious if the accusations are accurate.  Per reports.

      1) the GPs indicated they were purchasing the property for $70.4m when it was  purchased for $66m.  The GPs pocketed $4.4m upfront but did not disclose this.  Instead they place a statement that they get to assign the value.   I suspect no one took this to imply that they were assigning a value $4.4m more than the purchase.   At a minimum this is deceptive.

      2) they advertised 96% occupancy but reality was 90.5%.   This has a large impact on valuation and their offering appears to not have anything that would permit them from exaggerating the occupancy.  Without an escape clause, this seems like fraud assuming the reports are accurate.

      Assuming the accusations are true, at a minimum Brandon was a GP in a deceptive offering.  Worst case is he was active in deceiving/defrauding investors.   He may have more to be worried about than staying in the game.   If he is guilty of wrong doing, he could be barred from the game or even serve time.

      I certainly would not try to defend Brandon and compare this to an honest offering that failed for whatever reason.   If the accusations are true, the offering was deceiving with material incorrect information.

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.

      On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period.

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up.


       Commend him? Do you mean condemn?


      Commend him for losing 15million, are you insane. Condemn him where? Take him to the woodshed and beat him up? what should be done? You loose 15 million of investor's money in a legit (not Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman-fried) way. Everyone involved understands that there is risk involved. It wasn't a scam. 

      There was a plan, it failed. There are at least 7-10 failed syndication deals in my city. 5 within 2 miles of where i live over 50 million Dollars in property that DID NOT SALE!!! THE BANK TOOK IT BACK!!!  At least BT didn't do that. He was able to sell and only loose 15mil. vs EVERYTHING. 

      Operators are not all the same in Multifamily investing. Yes you can force appreciation through value-add, but its not a 1-off like single family homes. you have to do that multiples of times. The multifamily market is absolutely full of properties that failed. Check the Dallas Ft-Worth market right now. The inventory of failed deals is astounding. 

      I commend him for stopping the bleeding. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt he carried on the property. You have to be know better than that. There was a probably a reason but still adjustable rate debt is probably what it took to close the deal. Yes I will say Shame on you Brandon Turner. But the investor saw it Pitchbook/OM and took the RISK!. 


      Jamie as it relates to the deal were 15k mil was lost..  the investors did lose EVERYTHING the bank took the property and wiped out the investors 100% gone. Which of course is the inherint risk of syndication. LPs are the last one in the capital stack and take the most risk as we have seen play out here in the last few years.  But generally I agree with your thought process

       The way i heard it, He said he was able to sell the property. They didnt hit the valuation the business plan porposed, but it was sold not in default. The preferred equity was returned the LP capital was the 15m


       I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but on IG Brandon Turner said he had several other projects that are probably gonna fail and wipe out all those investors too.

      His plan to try to stop that from happening is to scale his education business so he can take that revenue and put it into these failing investments.

      You gotta ask yourself, is a dude who's selling "how to make money in real estate education" products for the sole purpose of paying for his failed failed real estate investments someone you wanna look up to? Someone you wanna commend for getting "back on the saddle."

      C'mon dude, the guy is a turd. It's that simple.

       @James Wise So if the investment loses 15million you want to condemn him. If he tries to do something to stop it, you condemn him still? That sounds like your already hate the guy. Seeing him online trying  "raise" his own funds through selling of merch to save the other investments is bad too? 

      So what would you do after losing 15m. Leave the country like so many of the guys in Houston did? or Actually give a F**k and try to do something to salvage? Dang bro you are impossible. Now if you just want to talk s**t online, you have that right. I condemn him for the adjustable rate debt mostly, but the rest could have happened to anyone. Just like its happening to so many investors in the market right now, he isnt the only one. Its not even close. 


       He literally started a company that teaches people how to invest in real estate in order to bail out his failed real estate bro.....

      like c'mon. Can you not see the irony of this?


       what else is he gonna do. Go clock in at the warehouse? Get a job? It's called a fire sale. If he did't do anything illegal, i don't see anything wrong. He is working to keep the other "couple" deals afloat. Ironic yea, but now isnt the time to quit. Its actually smart. He failed in 1 multifamily deal at this point. 300+ door asset of 13,000 doors of multifamily. He is willing to sell half of his education company to try to save a "couple" others. 

      Hip hop artists will file bankruptcy so you cant get their money/assets, BT is literally attempting to sell what he has to save other peoples investment. To do so, he needs increase the EBITDA of his business to sell 50% of it. That means he needs to sell merch courses and books. Get to work. If im an investor, thats what im saying. Get after it.  He may knows a thing or 2 owning 13,000 doors of apartments, so no he's not a grifter especially if he is doing what he can to save it. 

      That is 300 that have already failed but BT has indicated many others would fail without outside capital.   I personally will be very surprised if the failed unit count (failed meaning can survive without infused capital from a different unrelated source) does not exceed 3k.  That is far too high a fail rate in this business and no one should be buying coaching from someone with this fail rate.

      BT admits his coaching (First Deal) is also losing money.

      i have no way to know what Brandon knew about the alleged deceitful offering, but he should have known as a named partner.

      there should be consequences if these alleged deceitful info in his offering are true.   I could see him barred from future participation in syndications.   If true, he could be charged with fraud.   He could have personnel liability.

      regardless, his reputation deservedly is tarnished.   He should not be compared to syndications that failed but had no deceitful information in their offerings.  

      Assuming the accusations are true, I think the named partners should use the $4.4m initial profit that was allegedly not clear in the offering to help offset LP losses.

      i find it shocking the effort you are exerting trying to defend someone who, assuming the accusations are correct, had deceitful info in their offering materials.   

      If the accusations are true, BT should not be allowed to continue to raise money in offerings.

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
      1mo

      @Dan H.

      Thanks for you insight about the subject. If in fact reports that you reference are true then that is a completely different story. Deception creates a situation where people don't have the chance to choose based on fact and thats terrible. The ideal that he wants to sell half his company is skirting the line, but seems in play. The different between that and Bernie Madoff or Sam Bank-man Fried is that he isnt rolling profits from one deal into another deal. Grant Cardone's investigation is showing that he is also close to the line in how his reporting and fee structure looks once you open the hood. 

      Syndications have acquisition fees and management fees. That 4.4 mil appears to be about 6.25% on the advertised price(70.4m) and 6.66666666666667% (66m) on the actual price. I would be curious to know how was the property purchased. Was it under contract in one LLC and assigned to the actual syndication at closing? Is that how he does deals with Open Door Capital. Thats definitely double dipping. If the underwriting works, typically buyers buy. But I have also seen CRE Brokers say a 70m asset may only net you a 5% working both sides. 6+% is high.

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
      1mo

      @Dan H. I have to say that I appreciate you bringing more information to the conversation vs. just being a headline. 

      I am not defending, BT either. As i have said before, I am defending against the Headline, because multifamily real estate is a literal bloodbath right now. So is the headline for clicks or to disseminate information about how to be better at Multifamily Investing?  OR even a case study on what went wrong. BT is just the biggest name going thru the same thing 100s of syndicators are going through. 

       How can you say the other offerings were deceitful? Did you see them? I didn't see them, nor did I see the offering on BT's property. 3,000 of 13,000 is 23%. Nearly a 1/4 of the portfolio is terrible for any investor.  But if what you are saying is true, He is gonna lose alot, because i would suspect that the business plan is the same

      Playing fair i will say that BT is no different than other failed Syndicators. Just for kicks, Many offerings during the covid boom did the same thing. Ive heard this mentioned from many LPs and other GPs that didn't lose a single deal. 1). High rent growth assumptions. 2). Full renovations and granite countertops justify Class A/B Rents 3). Acquisition and Management Fees were outrageous. 4). Using Adjustable Rate Debt. 5). Extreme Purchase Prices. 

      Using the 4.4m fee to offset losses, is like asking your mortgage broker to pay your mortgage one month. Asking your Real Estate Agent and title company to pay your mortgage because you lost your job. It don't work like that. That would probably put them in jail or at least barred or something if they did that. 

    • Member since 2026 · 72 posts · 30 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      ya after all the bad press will be interesting to see how he does with the coaching gig. 

      We all have opinions of what happened at Open door capital.

      from what I see the money raisers and the guys doing the deals leveraged his BP persona as an expert investor to raise all these millions. Kind of like folks blindly trusted the other guy Clayton Morris.. I think investors probably thought BT had to much to lose and would make this all right if there was any issues.. I dont think he actually ran the ship Kind of like many other industries were they get spoke people to front the product. 

      Wine industry is famous for that.. Like Arnold Palmer wine is made my Luna vineyards in Napa so its just relabeled and the AP got a royalty.. I would not be surprised if thats a little bit how ODC operated. 

      I am of the opinion that there is no way BT went into ODC with the mind set to just rip out fee's and not care about the projects.. It just seems to have ended up that way like so many syndicators who tried to compete for the same dollars in those years. 

      Just sayin  I have no way of really knowing just kind of my POV. 


       On one side, the factors in the deal that caused his deal to go sideways is an Investing Miscall. Expensive though it may be but it happens. In a way i commend him for getting back in the saddle raising capital. From what I understand about raising capital, you have to keep raising capital. BT's expertise is in single family RE not Multifamily.  

      I saw an ad where he mentioned that he wrote the book on rental houses. He actually educated millions on rental properties and investing with little to no money down. I have to give him that credit. I can understand that it stings; 15m$ gone, but he was able to exit and didn't go bankrupt. Many of the same type of assets with the same problem, he managed to save the deal vs default like many other investors during the same time period. 

      Getting back in the saddle is hard after such a lost, tough but i commend him for doing so. After such a lost, I think he is better equipped for the next one if people are willing to sign up. 


       Anyone with a half a brain knows eating gas station sushi is safer than handing your money over to someone like Brandon Turner.


      So you're recommending gas station sushi...
    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:

      @Dan H. I have to say that I appreciate you bringing more information to the conversation vs. just being a headline. 

      I am not defending, BT either. As i have said before, I am defending against the Headline, because multifamily real estate is a literal bloodbath right now. So is the headline for clicks or to disseminate information about how to be better at Multifamily Investing?  OR even a case study on what went wrong. BT is just the biggest name going thru the same thing 100s of syndicators are going through. 

       How can you say the other offerings were deceitful? Did you see them? I didn't see them, nor did I see the offering on BT's property. 3,000 of 13,000 is 23%. Nearly a 1/4 of the portfolio is terrible for any investor.  But if what you are saying is true, He is gonna lose alot, because i would suspect that the business plan is the same

      Playing fair i will say that BT is no different than other failed Syndicators. Just for kicks, Many offerings during the covid boom did the same thing. Ive heard this mentioned from many LPs and other GPs that didn't lose a single deal. 1). High rent growth assumptions. 2). Full renovations and granite countertops justify Class A/B Rents 3). Acquisition and Management Fees were outrageous. 4). Using Adjustable Rate Debt. 5). Extreme Purchase Prices. 

      Using the 4.4m fee to offset losses, is like asking your mortgage broker to pay your mortgage one month. Asking your Real Estate Agent and title company to pay your mortgage because you lost your job. It don't work like that. That would probably put them in jail or at least barred or something if they did that. 

       >i will say that BT is no different than other failed Syndicators. Just for kicks, Many offerings during the covid boom did the same thing. Ive heard this mentioned from many LPs and other GPs that didn't lose a single deal. 1). High rent growth assumptions. 2). Full renovations and granite countertops justify Class A/B Rents 3). Acquisition and Management Fees were outrageous. 4). Using Adjustable Rate Debt. 5). Extreme Purchase Prices. 

      My view if the accusations are correct is this deal is very different than you cited.  Optimistic misguided numbers, outrageous fees, adjustable financing, etc if properly disclosed is very different than hiding an upfront fee by promoting an inaccurate purchase price.   It is very different than repotting an inflated occupancy level.  One can be inept but the other is intentional deceit.

      There is no way for me to know what BT knew about this deception, but as a named partner he should know.    As a named partner he is responsible for any deceit in the offering materials.

      BT states first deal is currently losing money.   Even if it currently is break even, it does not have a value that is likely to same any of his struggling offerings.   Do you see a viable path from not profitable to $50m valuation in time to save any of the struggling offerings?   I question at this point if his coaching/mentoring offering will ever achieve a significant valuation.

      I also question if scrutiny of his other offerings will find deceitful info in those offerings.

      Brandon may have bigger issues than just losing investor money (which is a big deal but not as big if he lost investor money that was raised with false information).

      Comparing an offering that used false information to raise capital to any offering that did not use false information to raise capital is not a valid comparison even if both offerings lose investor investment.

      Defending any offering that used false info to raise capital should not be occuring (assuming the accusations are true).

      https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-sec-looks-ways-do-cases-...

      Brandon seems like a nice guy but nice guys do not deceive people out of their investments.  If the investments were obtained via false information, the GPs should be held responsible (especially the named partner GPS).  

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:

      @Dan H. I have to say that I appreciate you bringing more information to the conversation vs. just being a headline. 

      I am not defending, BT either. As i have said before, I am defending against the Headline, because multifamily real estate is a literal bloodbath right now. So is the headline for clicks or to disseminate information about how to be better at Multifamily Investing?  OR even a case study on what went wrong. BT is just the biggest name going thru the same thing 100s of syndicators are going through. 

       How can you say the other offerings were deceitful? Did you see them? I didn't see them, nor did I see the offering on BT's property. 3,000 of 13,000 is 23%. Nearly a 1/4 of the portfolio is terrible for any investor.  But if what you are saying is true, He is gonna lose alot, because i would suspect that the business plan is the same

      Playing fair i will say that BT is no different than other failed Syndicators. Just for kicks, Many offerings during the covid boom did the same thing. Ive heard this mentioned from many LPs and other GPs that didn't lose a single deal. 1). High rent growth assumptions. 2). Full renovations and granite countertops justify Class A/B Rents 3). Acquisition and Management Fees were outrageous. 4). Using Adjustable Rate Debt. 5). Extreme Purchase Prices. 

      Using the 4.4m fee to offset losses, is like asking your mortgage broker to pay your mortgage one month. Asking your Real Estate Agent and title company to pay your mortgage because you lost your job. It don't work like that. That would probably put them in jail or at least barred or something if they did that. 

       >i will say that BT is no different than other failed Syndicators. Just for kicks, Many offerings during the covid boom did the same thing. Ive heard this mentioned from many LPs and other GPs that didn't lose a single deal. 1). High rent growth assumptions. 2). Full renovations and granite countertops justify Class A/B Rents 3). Acquisition and Management Fees were outrageous. 4). Using Adjustable Rate Debt. 5). Extreme Purchase Prices. 

      My view if the accusations are correct is this deal is very different than you cited.  Optimistic misguided numbers, outrageous fees, adjustable financing, etc if properly disclosed is very different than hiding an upfront fee by promoting an inaccurate purchase price.   It is very different than repotting an inflated occupancy level.  One can be inept but the other is intentional deceit.

      There is no way for me to know what BT knew about this deception, but as a named partner he should know.    As a named partner he is responsible for any deceit in the offering materials.

      BT states first deal is currently losing money.   Even if it currently is break even, it does not have a value that is likely to same any of his struggling offerings.   Do you see a viable path from not profitable to $50m valuation in time to save any of the struggling offerings?   I question at this point if his coaching/mentoring offering will ever achieve a significant valuation.

      I also question if scrutiny of his other offerings will find deceitful info in those offerings.

      Brandon may have bigger issues than just losing investor money (which is a big deal but not as big if he lost investor money that was raised with false information).

      Comparing an offering that used false information to raise capital to any offering that did not use false information to raise capital is not a valid comparison even if both offerings lose investor investment.

      Defending any offering that used false info to raise capital should not be occuring (assuming the accusations are true).

      https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-sec-looks-ways-do-cases-...

      Brandon seems like a nice guy but nice guys do not deceive people out of their investments.  If the investments were obtained via false information, the GPs should be held responsible (especially the named partner GPS).  


       Dan.. if there was misrepresentation in the offer or other funny bizz.. then I am pretty sure the attorneys that sue syndicators are going to be all over this company.. I mean people get sued for a heck of a lot less .. but you take folks that lost money and of course its not their fault :) for assessing risk or fibbing about their accredited status. This company will be a very easy target for litigation.

    • Justin R.Pro Member
      Rental Property Investor · San Anselmo · Member since 2015 · 659 posts · 600 votes
      1mo

      @Dan H.

      I agree with you 100% if those allegations were true. To clear the air, I was an investor in the deal that went south.

      I had to verify my accredited-investor status with ODC, just as I have with every other syndicator. I also signed multiple documents acknowledging the risks and received the PPM, which clearly outlined those risks.

      Could someone falsify their accreditation information or sign everything without reading it? I suppose so. But I submitted my information accurately, read the risk factors and made the decision to invest. Do I wish I had skipped that offering? Of course. But I’m not going to blame Brandon or ODC for my decision. Based on what I was given and my experience throughout the deal, I did not find them deceitful, shady or crooked. I understood that the investment carried risk, and I am accountable for the choice I made.

      Even after this loss, I am still positive across my diversified limited-partnership investments. I have also made considerably more money with ODC than I lost on this one deal. That context matters.

      My view is probably similar to that of most experienced investors: not every deal works. Some investors may not have fully read—or emotionally accepted—the risks before investing. Others may not have been completely honest about whether they met the accreditation requirements. Losing money is painful, but a bad outcome does not automatically prove fraud or deception.

      If credible evidence shows that false information was knowingly used to raise capital, that should absolutely be investigated and the responsible parties held accountable. But allegations are not evidence, and investment losses alone do not prove misconduct.

      Hopefully, this becomes a lesson in accountability, honesty and the importance of thoroughly analyzing both the deal and the sponsor before investing. I made the decision, I accepted the risk, and I own the outcome.

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Justin R.:

      @Dan H.

      I agree with you 100% if those allegations were true. To clear the air, I was an investor in the deal that went south.

      I had to verify my accredited-investor status with ODC, just as I have with every other syndicator. I also signed multiple documents acknowledging the risks and received the PPM, which clearly outlined those risks.

      Could someone falsify their accreditation information or sign everything without reading it? I suppose so. But I submitted my information accurately, read the risk factors and made the decision to invest. Do I wish I had skipped that offering? Of course. But I’m not going to blame Brandon or ODC for my decision. Based on what I was given and my experience throughout the deal, I did not find them deceitful, shady or crooked. I understood that the investment carried risk, and I am accountable for the choice I made.

      Even after this loss, I am still positive across my diversified limited-partnership investments. I have also made considerably more money with ODC than I lost on this one deal. That context matters.

      My view is probably similar to that of most experienced investors: not every deal works. Some investors may not have fully read—or emotionally accepted—the risks before investing. Others may not have been completely honest about whether they met the accreditation requirements. Losing money is painful, but a bad outcome does not automatically prove fraud or deception.

      If credible evidence shows that false information was knowingly used to raise capital, that should absolutely be investigated and the responsible parties held accountable. But allegations are not evidence, and investment losses alone do not prove misconduct.

      Hopefully, this becomes a lesson in accountability, honesty and the importance of thoroughly analyzing both the deal and the sponsor before investing. I made the decision, I accepted the risk, and I own the outcome.

      I have no investment with ODC, but I am in my first syndication that seems likely to lose investment and possibly all of my investment (RFC capital: Idaho offering (street not state)).  They are looking to perform a bulk sale and communicated to the investors that it is their best option.

      my mindset is similar to what you expressed.   I did my research, I am an accredited investor, I knew there was some risk (but hoped relying on a sophisticated value add and operators that had successfully exited similar offerings with outstanding return reduced that risk).

      I do not believe the operators deceived me or are inept.  One of the 2 named partners got divorced and left the company (resulting in a name change).   Tenant protections and interest rates and their effect on MF values had a larger impact than the divorce.

      this was my first investment with RFC, but I had observed some of their earlier offerings and really liked their sophisticated value add.

      i will be pleasantly surprised to get my full investment at exit and not surprised if I end up losing all of that investment.   You win some, you lose some.

      if the offering did not deceive investors, it is just another syndication that lost money.   If the offering deceived investors, the operators (especially named operators) deserve to be held accountable.  



  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1mo

    I saw this pop up on my social media feed recently. It was clearly targeting first time investors. The promotional materials focused on changing your life, buying your first deal, and raising your first round of capital, all within the next 250 days. It is the same garbage the real estate guru clown show regurgitates over and over again.

    The evolution of social media might be one of the worst things to happen to real estate investors who were not seasoned before it became part of our daily lives. Those who were investing before social media generally know what is real and what is BS. For everyone else, it is easy to get pulled in by master manipulators who know exactly how to take advantage of impressionable people.

    It is clearly effective based on what some people are willing to spend. Even those who never pay for education can still develop unrealistic expectations about investing and get involved in buying property for all the wrong reasons. You see the results of it almost every day in the BiggerPockets forums. At least this is only $11. 

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      I saw this pop up on my social media feed recently. It was clearly targeting first time investors. The promotional materials focused on changing your life, buying your first deal, and raising your first round of capital, all within the next 250 days. It is the same garbage the real estate guru clown show regurgitates over and over again.

      The evolution of social media might be one of the worst things to happen to real estate investors who were not seasoned before it became part of our daily lives. Those who were investing before social media generally know what is real and what is BS. For everyone else, it is easy to get pulled in by master manipulators who know exactly how to take advantage of impressionable people.

      It is clearly effective based on what some people are willing to spend. Even those who never pay for education can still develop unrealistic expectations about investing and get involved in buying property for all the wrong reasons. You see the results of it almost every day in the BiggerPockets forums. At least this is only $11. 


      my POV is nothing is new just repackaged and rebranded and delivery method is different. There have always been or pretty much since the 1900 books on investing and getting rich etc. then for RE the late night infomercial was launched in the 70s 80s with Dave Del Dotto  Carlton Sheets and the like .. then you had the MLM type folks out of Utah hammering TV radio to come to a free event then the elevator pitch to the grand event and education IE Montalongo Rich dad poor dad seminars etc.. Then the internet and what we are seeing these days. 

      Nothing really changes its still MLM tactics just brought to you buy tic tok insta and facebook.
    • Josh C.Pro Member
      Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1mo

      @Jay Hinrichs, I use to have those Carlton Sheets tapes. I loved them.  But Carlton sold a dream for $59, he didn't lose 15 mil of investor money (people's life savings) while pocketing 4 Mil. Very different animal. 

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      I saw this pop up on my social media feed recently. It was clearly targeting first time investors. The promotional materials focused on changing your life, buying your first deal, and raising your first round of capital, all within the next 250 days. It is the same garbage the real estate guru clown show regurgitates over and over again.

      The evolution of social media might be one of the worst things to happen to real estate investors who were not seasoned before it became part of our daily lives. Those who were investing before social media generally know what is real and what is BS. For everyone else, it is easy to get pulled in by master manipulators who know exactly how to take advantage of impressionable people.

      It is clearly effective based on what some people are willing to spend. Even those who never pay for education can still develop unrealistic expectations about investing and get involved in buying property for all the wrong reasons. You see the results of it almost every day in the BiggerPockets forums. At least this is only $11. 

      I see he is also a lender now as well? 
      7e investments53 Reviews
    • Robin SimonBusiness Member
      Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      I saw this pop up on my social media feed recently. It was clearly targeting first time investors. The promotional materials focused on changing your life, buying your first deal, and raising your first round of capital, all within the next 250 days. It is the same garbage the real estate guru clown show regurgitates over and over again.

      The evolution of social media might be one of the worst things to happen to real estate investors who were not seasoned before it became part of our daily lives. Those who were investing before social media generally know what is real and what is BS. For everyone else, it is easy to get pulled in by master manipulators who know exactly how to take advantage of impressionable people.

      It is clearly effective based on what some people are willing to spend. Even those who never pay for education can still develop unrealistic expectations about investing and get involved in buying property for all the wrong reasons. You see the results of it almost every day in the BiggerPockets forums. At least this is only $11. 

      I see he is also a lender now as well? 

       Yes - "Better Life Lending" was part of the big push at his last conference

  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo

    Wheather or not it was his fault the money was lost the fact is it was lost and he was VERY involved in that company. Then for him to come out saying "don't be careful" after the last people that trusted you lost their shirt is horrible as best and criminal as worst. Probably the least Christian thing a person could do is to be bad a managing money and then pass yourself off as being good at managing money. I hope he gets beard lice and has to shave. 

    • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      1mo

      @Josh C. Wow, would you mind making public some of your failures so we can have an opportunity to judge them as generously as you're judging his? 

      I was at dinner last night with people who own multifamily (5 or 6 apartment complexes each, all of them are greater than 100 units each). We brought up Brandon Turner's deals and talked about what we knew about the deals. From what we could tell is he did the deal the same way that the people at dinner last night did deals. The only difference was the timing. The interest rates didn't double on the people at dinner last night like they did during Brandon's deals. Brandon had the same procedures, same underwriting, same everything that everyone else was had who was buying multifamily at the time, but the big difference was the interest rates didn't doubled in the middle of their renovations which then made it impossible to get the loan to service the debt when the short term loans came due. I don't know if you are familiar with multifamily and how it is valued or not, but I can tell you that other people did the same thing as Brandon with multifamily at different periods of time and they out performed their proformas. They had estimated 15% returns but were able to give their investors 18% returns. Is it because they were better or wiser than Brandon? I would say no. The market favored them. 

      You say people lost their life savings and if that is the case then they probably lied because this fund was for accredited investors I believe. And accredited investors have net worths of over $1,000,000 excluding their primary home and they make $250,000 or more a year. So the people who lost money are not poor and they usually spread their money across several different investments so that the winning investments cover the losing investments. 

      So I am not sure what information you have, or what this story triggers inside you emotionally, but I would encourage you to get that checked out before you ever invest with anyone else. Or better yet, it may just be better for you and others if you just invest in your own deals without other people involved. 

    • Josh C.Pro Member
      Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1mo

      @Shiloh Lundahl, unsure you understand the facts but I'll simplify due to timing. He took a 4 mil fee for buying an asset. He lost 100% of LP equity on this same asset. He then starting selling a course saying don't be careful when in investing in real estate. 

      why are you defending him?

      I can't post about sometime I've not paid someone back I've promised too as it's never happened. The vast majority of investors would say the same thing. Filing bankruptcy, defaulting on loans, and losing all of your investors money is a big deal. Not the norm. 

      if he lost all the investors money he should pay his 4MM fee back and then sell a course saying "I screwed up and here's why", not teaching more recklessness and keeping his end. 
      If you went into business with someone and the deal went bad wouldn't you at least want it to go bad for both you and not just you?

    • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Josh C.:

      @Shiloh Lundahl, unsure you understand the facts but I'll simplify due to timing. He took a 4 mil fee for buying an asset. He lost 100% of LP equity on this same asset. He then starting selling a course saying don't be careful when in investing in real estate. 

      why are you defending him?

      I can't post about sometime I've not paid someone back I've promised too as it's never happened. The vast majority of investors would say the same thing. Filing bankruptcy, defaulting on loans, and losing all of your investors money is a big deal. Not the norm. 

      if he lost all the investors money he should pay his 4MM fee back and then sell a course saying "I screwed up and here's why", not teaching more recklessness and keeping his end. 
      If you went into business with someone and the deal went bad wouldn't you at least want it to go bad for both you and not just you?


      So when you are investing, it is important that you are able to compartmentalize things. You are saying he took a 4 million dollar fee while other people lost their money.  And you are saying that this is bad.  But I need to tell you that this happens all of the time.  When you buy stocks, a broker gets paid even if the stock goes down.  So you lose money while the broker still gets paid because the broker is getting paid for the service.

      If his fees were not disclosed, then there is a problem. If his fees were disclosed, and he did not commit any type of fraud, then there isn't a problem.  

      When investing into someone else's deal, there are 3 parts.  There is the asset, there is the operator, and there is the market.  You can vet the asset.  You can vet the operator.  But then you guess on the market.  What you are saying is that because there was a loss of the investor's capital, that it is Brandon's fault and that he should not have made money.  If that is how the pitch deck and the investment documents stated that things should go, then I agree with you.  However, if Brandon did his job correctly and operated the asses as described, and the asset was as described, but the market took a drastic turn (which it did when interest rates skyrocketed) what you are stating is that he should not get paid for the work he did because the result didn't produce what the expectations were.  Would you also say that the people who did the exact same things that Brandon did a few years back with a more favorable market that paid their investors out at 18% - 21% which was higher than their estimated 15% (again because of a favorable market) should have just paid out their investors the 15% and kept all of the extra upside?  The investors were investing in a syndication.  They weren't lenders on the deal.  If they were lenders then they should get their money back plus the interest according to whatever the contract states. But if they are investors, and if they are accredited investors, which I believe they should have been, then they should have understood the risk, they should have vetted Brandon and the asset, and they should have better predicted the market.  

      So, if Brandon did not operate the asset according to the investment document, then yes, I agree, he should give any gain he got from the deal back and more.  But if he did operate the asset according to plan and the market shifted causing a loss for the investors, then no, he should have no reason to forfeit the payment for his work just because the asset lost money.  

      As far as you quoting the ad by stating "don't be careful when in investing in real estate." The ad doesn't state that.  The ad states, "Careful Investors Often Miss the Biggest Opportunities." which has a different meaning.  There are a lot of investors who are overly cautious and that keeps them from ever getting into the investing game.  They miss out on most opportunities because they are risk averse.  Other investors get into the investing game and may win some and lose some.  But with every win and every loss, they learn how to improve their investing.  I agree with that being too careful may keep people from ever getting into the game.  It is unlikely that investors will always win at guessing the market.  It is up to them to underwrite the assets and be a good operator and do their best to guess the market.

      If these concepts are difficult for you or if you just don't like them, then investing in other people's deals may not be the best option for you. I personally just invest in my own deals because I get the best returns there and I am able to get mad at only myself when they go bad. But they are much smaller deals and have lower risk.

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Shiloh Lundahl:
      Quote from @Josh C.:

      @Shiloh Lundahl, unsure you understand the facts but I'll simplify due to timing. He took a 4 mil fee for buying an asset. He lost 100% of LP equity on this same asset. He then starting selling a course saying don't be careful when in investing in real estate. 

      why are you defending him?

      I can't post about sometime I've not paid someone back I've promised too as it's never happened. The vast majority of investors would say the same thing. Filing bankruptcy, defaulting on loans, and losing all of your investors money is a big deal. Not the norm. 

      if he lost all the investors money he should pay his 4MM fee back and then sell a course saying "I screwed up and here's why", not teaching more recklessness and keeping his end. 
      If you went into business with someone and the deal went bad wouldn't you at least want it to go bad for both you and not just you?


      So when you are investing, it is important that you are able to compartmentalize things. You are saying he took a 4 million dollar fee while other people lost their money.  And you are saying that this is bad.  But I need to tell you that this happens all of the time.  When you buy stocks, a broker gets paid even if the stock goes down.  So you lose money while the broker still gets paid because the broker is getting paid for the service.

      If his fees were not disclosed, then there is a problem. If his fees were disclosed, and he did not commit any type of fraud, then there isn't a problem.  

      When investing into someone else's deal, there are 3 parts.  There is the asset, there is the operator, and there is the market.  You can vet the asset.  You can vet the operator.  But then you guess on the market.  What you are saying is that because there was a loss of the investor's capital, that it is Brandon's fault and that he should not have made money.  If that is how the pitch deck and the investment documents stated that things should go, then I agree with you.  However, if Brandon did his job correctly and operated the asses as described, and the asset was as described, but the market took a drastic turn (which it did when interest rates skyrocketed) what you are stating is that he should not get paid for the work he did because the result didn't produce what the expectations were.  Would you also say that the people who did the exact same things that Brandon did a few years back with a more favorable market that paid their investors out at 18% - 21% which was higher than their estimated 15% (again because of a favorable market) should have just paid out their investors the 15% and kept all of the extra upside?  The investors were investing in a syndication.  They weren't lenders on the deal.  If they were lenders then they should get their money back plus the interest according to whatever the contract states. But if they are investors, and if they are accredited investors, which I believe they should have been, then they should have understood the risk, they should have vetted Brandon and the asset, and they should have better predicted the market.  

      So, if Brandon did not operate the asset according to the investment document, then yes, I agree, he should give any gain he got from the deal back and more.  But if he did operate the asset according to plan and the market shifted causing a loss for the investors, then no, he should have no reason to forfeit the payment for his work just because the asset lost money.  

      As far as you quoting the ad by stating "don't be careful when in investing in real estate." The ad doesn't state that.  The ad states, "Careful Investors Often Miss the Biggest Opportunities." which has a different meaning.  There are a lot of investors who are overly cautious and that keeps them from ever getting into the investing game.  They miss out on most opportunities because they are risk averse.  Other investors get into the investing game and may win some and lose some.  But with every win and every loss, they learn how to improve their investing.  I agree with that being too careful may keep people from ever getting into the game.  It is unlikely that investors will always win at guessing the market.  It is up to them to underwrite the assets and be a good operator and do their best to guess the market.

      If these concepts are difficult for you or if you just don't like them, then investing in other people's deals may not be the best option for you. I personally just invest in my own deals because I get the best returns there and I am able to get mad at only myself when they go bad. But they are much smaller deals and have lower risk.


      Bottom line for me:

      1. As long as no undiclosed mark ups were done and the business plan was executed No personal reponsibility.

      2. this 4 mil I pretty much bet that went to many folks NOT what everyone is insinuating that Brandon pocket 4 mil personally. 

      3. As long as there is no litigation from his investors then its just a deal gone bad and I believe he has the right to continue working in what ever he wants to do.

      4. its up to the public to decide if he brings value in these seminars or paid promotions etc.
    • Josh C.Pro Member
      Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1mo

      @Shiloh Lundahl I guess I naively thought most people have similar morals and values. Reading your comments shows it's clear we don't. If I lost OPM I'd feel bad and give back my outsized fee at least, not for legal reasons, because I'd feel like a pos if I didn't. "Hey this went south so we will can all take a hit together" type of thing. To say a heavy marketing GP is like a stockbroker is disingenuous and I think you know or possibly that concept is too difficult for you? 
      Then I wouldn't start selling courses saying "don't be careful." Which is actually the same thing. It's really a poor title choice based on his history. Just because something is legal doesn't make it right. This appears to legal, yet still slimy in my opinion. 
      He could sell lots of crap talking about his failures and second chances and all that. That's not slimy. Also, giving back at least his personal benefit on that deal would help. 

      Did you read the original threads about ODC on BP? You still have the opinion he has zero fault?

    • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      1mo

      @Josh C. I think you are conflating the words morals and values with the word expectations. It is possible to have morals and values and follow an agreement of a deal where someone gains money and someone loses money. It isn't about an opinion of what is right or wrong. It is about following a contract. What I am getting from what you are writing is that you believe that Brandon shouldn't be paid for the work which he did, or anyone else did, on the deal because the deal lost investors' money. When I purchase an investment property and I use a Hard Money Lender to buy it, if I underestimate the repair cost or overestimate the ARV, I may lose money on the deal. But my Hard Money Lender doesn't lose any money on the deal. I may have to write a check in order to sell the property. And that check may go to my Hard Money Lender. So I did the deal and I took the risk and my Hard Money Lender got paid the same amount even if I lost money. I wouldn't say that's right or wrong. I would say that's following the contract.

      I may buy a property from a Wholesaler and a Wholesaler may make a $20,000 commission on the deal and I may try to rehab that house and I may lose $10,000 on the sale of the property. Should I have the ability to go to the Wholesaler and ask the Wholesaler to make me whole and share with me some of his profit? The answer is no. If I agreed to the contract, then I I take the gain or the loss. 

      The only thing in question is if Brandon acted out of line according to the contract. If his conduct was outside of what was written, then I totally understand, and would be in support of holding him accountable for failing to abide by his portion of the contract. Then there may be reason to go after him for damages. But if he did his part of the contract and the deal did not work out, then it was a loss on the deal.

      Do you think when he set out to do the deal and bought the property in May 2022, which would've been right before interest rates skyrocketed beyond what any of the investors that I know of expected, that he was thinking, "I don't really care if this deal goes well as long as I get paid." Do you not think that his expectation was that the deal would be profitable and that the people that invested with him would make money, and that he would make money, and that everybody would make money on the deal? Do you think that he didn't care that his reputation would be damaged if anybody lost money in any of his deals?

      Additionally, you continue to misquote what the ad says. You quote that it says "don't be careful." but that's not what it says. It says, "Careful Investors Often Miss the Biggest Opportunities." And that is a true principle.

      You ask if I have read the other threads on Bigger Pockets about this. And as you can see, I commented on them. But I did not keep up and continue to read them through all of the comments that were made. I'm not involved in this syndication and I don't know if Brandon followed through with what it stated his responsibility was in the agreement paperwork. But whether or not Brandon is at fault is not the point that I am arguing. The point that I am arguing is just because a deal loses money for the investors, it doesn't necessarily mean that the person who put the deal together should have no gain on the deal. The deal is outlined and presented to the investors. If they like how it is set up then they can participate. If they don't like how it set up, then they don't have to participate. and just because the deal loses money doesn't necessarily mean that the person in charge of the deal did something nefarious. 

      I'm going to say what I said before. I think for you in particular, it probably would be better if you don't do deals where other people are in charge such as a syndication. The paperwork can be hard to understand and if it doesn't turn out the way that you think it should You will probably go after the person that didn't perform as you expected them to perform. 

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
    1mo

    I'll take insufferable grifter for $1,000 Alex. 

    I wouldn't be surprised if he goes into turnkey soon. 

  • Member since 2026 · 72 posts · 30 votes
    1mo

    I didn't know Gandalf was an investment guru.  Who would had known..  By the looks of it, he wasn't very good.  Probably should just stick with Wizardry instead.  

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1mo

    He confused his success to skill; not market timing(post-recession low rates + housing devastation). And confused his ongoing to success to skill; not leverage.

    He's the example of what happens when you think you're great, but you're really average at best. I say at best-- to give him the benefit of the doubt.

    • Ned CareyPro Member
      Moderator
      Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @V.G Jason:

      He confused his success to skill; not market timing(post-recession low rates + housing devastation). And confused his ongoing to success to skill; not leverage.

      He's the example of what happens when you think you're great, but you're really average at best. I say at best-- to give him the benefit of the doubt.


       That reminds me of the book "Fooled by Randomness"  People often attribute random events as caused by skill. 

    • V.G JasonPro Member
      Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Ned Carey:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:

      He confused his success to skill; not market timing(post-recession low rates + housing devastation). And confused his ongoing to success to skill; not leverage.

      He's the example of what happens when you think you're great, but you're really average at best. I say at best-- to give him the benefit of the doubt.


       That reminds me of the book "Fooled by Randomness"  People often attribute random events as caused by skill. 

      Must read for anyone participating in any investing or trading.

      In regards to assets, especially physical ones, exposure with either comfortable reverses and/or manageable leverage with time will let you win with randomness. Of course, we will always say it's skill.,
    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Ned Carey:
      Quote from @V.G Jason:

      He confused his success to skill; not market timing(post-recession low rates + housing devastation). And confused his ongoing to success to skill; not leverage.

      He's the example of what happens when you think you're great, but you're really average at best. I say at best-- to give him the benefit of the doubt.


       That reminds me of the book "Fooled by Randomness"  People often attribute random events as caused by skill. 

      • “It is a great piece of skill to know how to guide your luck even while waiting for it.” — Baltasar Gracian 
      • “I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.” — Stephen Leacock 
      • “Don’t confuse luck with skill when judging others, and especially when judging yourself.” — Carl Icahn 
      • “Captaincy is 90 per cent luck and 10 per cent skill. But don’t try it without that 10 per cent.” — Richie Benaud 
      • “You make your own luck.” — Neale Donald Walsch 
      • “Luck is when skill meets opportunity.” — Vinnie Paz

      My brother thinks I am lucky and he is unlucky. The reality that is

      • things he treats as road blocks, I treat as speed bumps.
      • when I see opportunity I move on it, he virtually never takes action.
      • I evaluate risk and reward fairly accurately, he seems to never recognize the risks.
      • he prioritizes fun over working opportunities. I find fun in working opportunities and mentoring.

      our parents recognized the difference between us at a very young age. They gave my brother things that I did not get. They clearly favored my brother in decisions they made. For example my brother borrowed my bike without permission when I was 11 and it got stolen. They decided I should buy my replacement bike. These did not do my brother any long term favors. It taught the wrong stuff to my brother. My brother feels the parents (and nearly everyone else) has screwed him at some point without seeing all the opportunities he was provided but did not take advantage of.

      By high school it was so extreme that my brother pleaded with the parents to send him to a different school than I attended. The parents, in rarity, made the correct choice of not letting him go elsewhere.

      I think random events are random by definition. Being in a good position to benefit from the random events can be what separates successful people from unsuccessful people. Being in position to benefit from the random events can take skill/knowledge.


      how many people failed to take advantage of the plethora of opportunities over the last 15 years? Is it luck that some benefitted from those opportunities and others did not? I think luck is far from the biggest discriminator between those that achieved success and those who did not over the last 15 years.

      The luck was that there was so much opportunity. The skill is taking advantage of those opportunities. 


      best wishes

    • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
      1mo

      @Chris Seveney - wow, that's incredible.

      So it begs the question - shouldn't he have called himself for a loan for the capital call on his previous syndication?  Asking for a friend.  

    • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
      1mo

      @Jamie Parker

      Are you a Platinum Inner Circle Member with Brandon Turner? You seem quite the fond defender of him.

      This place existed long before he showed up, and I think, before he bought his first house. I consider none of this place "built by his influence." Unless it's the phony AI posts or the people aura farming, I can give him a lot of credit there. 

      Considering from what I read, he pocketed millions fundraising and his investors lost a lot of money. I consider that running and hiding. 

      He appeals to the crop of new investors that emerge every year. There will always be more of them.

      • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
        Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Ed O.:

        @Jamie Parker

        Are you a Platinum Inner Circle Member with Brandon Turner? You seem quite the fond defender of him.

        This place existed long before he showed up, and I think, before he bought his first house. I consider none of this place "built by his influence." Unless it's the phony AI posts or the people aura farming, I can give him a lot of credit there. 

        Considering from what I read, he pocketed millions fundraising and his investors lost a lot of money. I consider that running and hiding. 

        He appeals to the crop of new investors that emerge every year. There will always be more of them.


         I guess the question is as long as he did not do anything that was illegal  IE steal or misrepresent the properties to induce investors.. Does he have the right to keep working and try to monetize his notoriety be it good be it bad ??  There are very few operators investors who pool others money or Money lenders or hedge funds that have not taken loss's since 2000.. Anyone in my mind who is pooling money and using investors as noted the last 20 years or so that says they have never lost a dollar I simply do not believe that.. We all had loss's in the GFC I got totally hammered personally. But you pull up your boot straps and start over. 

        I am not defending BT Just noting that unless something was a ponzi or total scam I think the man has a right to try to earn a living.. And he has more bullets to shoot than the average person who lost a property or two to syndication. 

      • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Ed O.:

        @Jamie Parker

        Are you a Platinum Inner Circle Member with Brandon Turner? You seem quite the fond defender of him.

        This place existed long before he showed up, and I think, before he bought his first house. I consider none of this place "built by his influence." Unless it's the phony AI posts or the people aura farming, I can give him a lot of credit there. 

        Considering from what I read, he pocketed millions fundraising and his investors lost a lot of money. I consider that running and hiding. 

        He appeals to the crop of new investors that emerge every year. There will always be more of them.


         I started on BP around 2015. He was on the podcast then, and had been on for a while at that time. He was a staple on the show during the time I was listening. Im not here to banter about his influence thats why I said "Partly". 

        My Argument is about the nature of multifamily investment, The climate as of summer 2026 and the reality of any investment. If BT was the only one that purchased during 2020-2024 with the sole intention of renovating all the units to increase the rents 50% and doing so with adjustable rate debt. then sure Im defending him. 

        1).There is a new construction project 127 units, Vacant. Went back to the bank, 23,000,000 total loss. 2). Same thing 122 unit high-rise 8million+ loan default, 3). Same thing 164 units purchased in 2022 for 10m,, sold 7.5m in the last month. 4). Same thing 10 unit purchased in 2019 for 900k, went back to the bank. on this 10 unit the seller wanted 2.8 then 2.5, then 2.1 then 1.6m. Bank took it back around 900k WHY? He over rehabbed the property raised the rent but couldn't demand the rent rates required to maintain that valuation at the time of sale. Occupancy fell below what was required for FHA loan, Bank took the property back. 5).125 units, UPB 6+million, but the property is valued at 2m$ now. The tenants trashed a bunch of units.

        ALL THESE OPERATORS LOST MONEY. Thats just within 5 miles from where i live. There are tons of them not just Brandon Turner. If all of these operators raised money from investors and those investors lost as well. You can do what you want but singling him out and not hanging the rest of these guys up there with him is hypocrisy. But most people have not clue whats going on and why its happening. 

        So if you are gonna go for the easy target, tell the whole story about:

        Bad Debt

        Over Renovation

        Rent Increase was rejected by the market

        He tried, Pad-split, Short term/Mid-term rentals to save the NOI

        And Sold it for more than what it was purchase for

        and still lost 15m

        That way at least someone learns something vs it being a witch-hunt for clicks. 

      • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
        Quote from @Ed O.:

        @Jamie Parker

        Are you a Platinum Inner Circle Member with Brandon Turner? You seem quite the fond defender of him.

        This place existed long before he showed up, and I think, before he bought his first house. I consider none of this place "built by his influence." Unless it's the phony AI posts or the people aura farming, I can give him a lot of credit there. 

        Considering from what I read, he pocketed millions fundraising and his investors lost a lot of money. I consider that running and hiding. 

        He appeals to the crop of new investors that emerge every year. There will always be more of them.


         I guess the question is as long as he did not do anything that was illegal  IE steal or misrepresent the properties to induce investors.. Does he have the right to keep working and try to monetize his notoriety be it good be it bad ??  There are very few operators investors who pool others money or Money lenders or hedge funds that have not taken loss's since 2000.. Anyone in my mind who is pooling money and using investors as noted the last 20 years or so that says they have never lost a dollar I simply do not believe that.. We all had loss's in the GFC I got totally hammered personally. But you pull up your boot straps and start over. 

        I am not defending BT Just noting that unless something was a ponzi or total scam I think the man has a right to try to earn a living.. And he has more bullets to shoot than the average person who lost a property or two to syndication. 

         I agree with you @Jay Hinrichs If he didn't do anything illegal and the business plan failed, it happens unfortunately. At least he was able to sell the asset and it wasn't a total loss like some of the properties that are on the market today. 

      • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
        Quote from @Ed O.:

        @Jamie Parker

        Are you a Platinum Inner Circle Member with Brandon Turner? You seem quite the fond defender of him.

        This place existed long before he showed up, and I think, before he bought his first house. I consider none of this place "built by his influence." Unless it's the phony AI posts or the people aura farming, I can give him a lot of credit there. 

        Considering from what I read, he pocketed millions fundraising and his investors lost a lot of money. I consider that running and hiding. 

        He appeals to the crop of new investors that emerge every year. There will always be more of them.


         I guess the question is as long as he did not do anything that was illegal  IE steal or misrepresent the properties to induce investors.. Does he have the right to keep working and try to monetize his notoriety be it good be it bad ??  There are very few operators investors who pool others money or Money lenders or hedge funds that have not taken loss's since 2000.. Anyone in my mind who is pooling money and using investors as noted the last 20 years or so that says they have never lost a dollar I simply do not believe that.. We all had loss's in the GFC I got totally hammered personally. But you pull up your boot straps and start over. 

        I am not defending BT Just noting that unless something was a ponzi or total scam I think the man has a right to try to earn a living.. And he has more bullets to shoot than the average person who lost a property or two to syndication. 


         A lot of people seem to think risk is just a quaint word that makes investing more exciting, but they aren't ever supposed to actually lose money.

      • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
        1mo

        @Eric James Thank you for making that point. Apparently risk means bigger reward. 

      • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
        Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
        1mo

        @Ed O. I'm pretty sure you don't understand when you say "this place existed before Brandon Turner." Because it did not existed like it does now. BiggerPockets was a small and obscure blog plateform before Brandon. The podcast was not nearly as interesting or attractive. Josh Dorkin was so sarcastic it was hard to tolerate before Brandon made it the most popular real estate podcast and one of the top business podcasts at the time. 

        So I don't know when you joined BiggerPockets, because I don't know if you understand the history. The site was obscure before Brandon made it mainstream. 

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1mo

      He was before my time on BP so I don’t know the man but am happy that I am a control freak especially when it comes to my hard earned money. Starting small, chipping away and sacrificing comfort protected me from buying into the ever prevalent pipe dream that there is such a thing as making a fortune with passive RE. I don’t care about those of us with plenty of money who are taking a chance on hitting it big but for the little guy, the average Joe trying to escape a blue collar life it could be devastating. Shame on those who take advantage of vulnerable people. There is plenty of money to be made through honest channels. This is especially disgraceful when one’s religious faith or sobriety is used as a token to gain trust. I also can’t believe people are still touting the Rich Dad stuff as impressive. 

      • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Jules Aton:

        He was before my time on BP so I don’t know the man but am happy that I am a control freak especially when it comes to my hard earned money. Starting small, chipping away and sacrificing comfort protected me from buying into the ever prevalent pipe dream that there is such a thing as making a fortune with passive RE. I don’t care about those of us with plenty of money who are taking a chance on hitting it big but for the little guy, the average Joe trying to escape a blue collar life it could be devastating. Shame on those who take advantage of vulnerable people. There is plenty of money to be made through honest channels. This is especially disgraceful when one’s religious faith or sobriety is used as a token to gain trust. I also can’t believe people are stilltouting the Rich Dad stuff as impressive. 


         All the investors were accredited. Grant Cardone opened up a fund for Non-accredited people for the exact purpose of giving the small guy an chance at institutional investments. Now he is a class-action lawsuit over $5,000 apparently.  Accredited Investors have to make over 250k per year or have assets of a minimum $1m not including their personal residence. SO the people that lost are the Average blue collar joe just trying to make through the week. No body at any level wants to lose money. Accredited investors are seen as individuals that can 1). can stomach a 10k, 100k, 1m$ loss 2). are aware of the risk . 

        I feel bad for the investors. I also know in some way it could have been seen as a flex to be invested with BT, however it was in the Pitch-book. The terms and the business plan. 

        Many people, myself included, under estimated the amount of effort it takes to be successful in real estate and under estimate how much effort it takes to be full sustained on real estate investment. its possible, its hard and it takes time. 

    • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
      1mo

      Jamie, you seem excessively fond and defensive of him. He probably has room on his existing syndications for you. 

      I have never seen someone so sensitive to reasonable inquiry and criticism. Maybe you guys are related? 

      • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Ed O.:

        Jamie, you seem excessively fond and defensive of him. He probably has room on his existing syndications for you. 

        I have never seen someone so sensitive to reasonable inquiry and criticism. Maybe you guys are related? 

        Say what you want, but I am defensive of people demonizing others based on tweets and heresy. If you actually brought Multifamily related reasoning for your disdain of the situation then I would at least here you out. There is a guy the posted a video on Youtube about how he lost 75k. Sadly he had no clue about what he was actually investing in and basically road the BT name and the face that there were 149 other investors. There was another guy that invested in the deal, he understood the investment and highlighted where it broke. Then watching a couple different BT in his interviews to hear his position. During this entire time underwriting around 75-100m$ in deals myself and seeing whats on the market and all the failed deals. 

        It's lazy to go on a witch hunt for a person that lost money, simply because they are one the interwebs. There are probably 10 deals in your market but you have no clue of who those guys are so you say nothing nor mention the prevailing reason why it happen. Open Door Capital has 13,000 doors real estate. they lost on 1 deal so far. Im not defending anyone, I will commend the fact that he hasnt quit. But I hate that you havent added any substance to the conversation other than claiming me to fond and defensive. Its lazy. 



    • Rental Property Investor · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 343 votes
      1mo

      On a YouTube video I saw with him, he said his goal was to really promote and grow his coaching business so he could try to sell half of it for $XX million that he needed to save his other deals. I will be honest I think if most of us made $XX million we would not put it into bad deals to save other investors money. It may sound harsh, but he does not need to bail those investors out. I never really listened to him consistently, but he seemed to do a good job covering the basics of real estate investing and concepts. Over time, though, he seemed more focused on promotions than investing, and he tried to jump into syndications, which he had never done before, and ended up over his skis. It’s a good reminder for all of us that anyone can lose money. Master one thing and don’t chase the next shiny object.

      • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
        Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
        1mo

        @Nick Robinson I can understand and agree with some of the things you wrote. However, the concept of sticking to what your good at can limit growth in my opinion. It think that it is okay to get successful at something and then try out something else. Similar to Michael Jordan with Baseball and Elon Musk with Tesla. Maybe it turns out that we aren't amazing in more than one area like Michael Jordan showed. Or maybe we can be similar to Elon Musk when he sold PayPal to EBay and then started Tesla, Space Ex, and Starlink. Sometimes the thing that we accell at is not our greatest accomplishment and we need to let go of good to become great.

    • Stuart UdisPro Member
      Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1mo

      I believe the criticism directed toward Brandon Turner needs to be narrowed. Saying that Brandon Turner personally lost $15 million of investor money leaves out an important part of the story. From what I understand, Open Door Capital partnered with Disrupt Equity, a local multifamily operator who together operated and managed the property and executed the business plan. The deal ultimately failed because of a poorly construed business plan and unrealistic underwriting.

      What deserves more scrutiny is whether Disrupt Equity could have raised that much capital for a flawed business plan from the start without Brandon Turner’s name, network, and influence. Judging by prior BiggerPockets posts from ODC investors, one thing seems clear. Many people did not fully understand what they were investing in and invested largely because they were familiar with Brandon Turner.

      This raises a legitimate question about his role and the marketing for the lending platform. Is this actually Brandon Turner’s lending operation, or is an existing lender partnering with him to use his name and audience to attract borrowers and investors? There is nothing inherently wrong with that arrangement, but people should understand who is actually underwriting the loans, making the decisions, servicing the portfolio etc. Brandon’s involvement and endorsement should not be mistaken for proof that he is the person operating the underlying business. It's clear he did not conduct adequate diligence before attaching his name to the syndication business which should make anyone question whether the same holds true with the lending business. 

      Is attending a $11 webinar really going to have a great influence on those who attend and their investment decisions? Probably not. But it gets them in the door and will be interested in seeing what is sold to them next, whether it's more education or investment opportunities. 

      • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
        1mo

        @Stuart Udis that's what Ive been saying. With any investment there is a pitch book. I have heard at least 1 investor went in saying "it's Brandon turner, what could go wrong"  more or less.

         I've never heard of disrupt equity but that's a great point. How did they raise the money with that business plan? Even if the business plan worked, that was an extremely risky plan. Full renovation on 340 units. Then the increase on rent. Houston has 7mil population but has a net negative migration.

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1mo

      just like most things people have already formed their opinions on this topic which is fine. i think as a platform when we discuss these issues it is good to debate these items. as someone who has never met brandon and has not listened to anything he has produced in approximately ten-plus years, so here are the questions that i think people should be asking.
      1. There are videos produced claiming  to work four hours per week. if it is true that you have thousands of doors, what is it that you are doing for those four hours per week? how is that work relatable to a new investor just getting started? 
      2. how many single-family doors have you actually owned managed and exited. How many BRRR strategies have you done? And how many have you done in the last three years? okay. Would you be will y to hav a third party verify this information?

      3. what was your role with disrupt equity? were you merely just raising capital for them or were you involved in the day-to-day execution? 
      4. you are also now doing lending, at one time had a debt fund. also we are involved in mobile home parks. what is your background and expertise in these asset classes? 

      7e investments53 Reviews
      • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
        1mo

        @Chris Seveney

        BT going on podcast making the claim of only working 4-hrs per week is insane. After loosing tons of capital, my first question at the time, that seemed odd and tone deaf. 

        If he is at risk of losing other investments, he better start doing something. I think this is a scramble to fix the remaining deals. If they where purchased with the same or similar assumption, then he definitely has a big problem on his hands. 

    • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      1mo

      I think a lot of newer investors do not realize any syndication has a significant risk of total loss of capital. With a house or 2-4 unit in your own name on 30 year fixed rate debt, you can hold through the ups and downs but private investments or really any form of mortgaged commerical real estate are very differant. I am sure this is in the fine print but hope it is made more clear for future investors. I really like Brandon Turners content and assume the loss was not through fraud or anything malicious, his early content helped me learn a ton about investing and pushed me to do my own first house hack. 

    • Stuart UdisPro Member
      Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1mo

      @Shiloh Lundahl Perhaps someone with greater familiarity can chime in to verify but it seems the ODC/Disrupt Equity syndication was offered under the 506(c) exemption where it's the syndicators responsibility to verify whether the LP is accredited. If people truly lost their life savings investing in the ODC/Disrupt Equity syndication, I agree they probably weren't actually accredited, but that speaks directly to Brandon using his BiggerPockets fame to attract capital from a lead source that any reasonable person would know is filled mostly of unaccredited investors. Whether this is the case or not is really only something those who invested or were tasked with verification can answer. 

      I disagree with the comparison you attempt to make to Elon starting his other ventures. The early round capital those types of ventures rely upon are highly sophisticated and understand the risks. Very different than the type of capital apartment syndications marketed to retail LP investors rely upon. Even for the early round capital to participate in Elon's ventures, I can assure you the diligence and business plan was far superior to what ODC/Disrupt and many other failed syndications relied upon.

      Chris raised good questions and if answered would help clear the air on a lot of the speculation and unknowns surrounding Brandon's business dealings. I believe they are also reasonable inquiries to make given his entire business platform is built on certain perceptions of his business background.

    • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1mo

      I see BT has FREE tax lien training at several locations around the greater Sacramento area. Free is capitalized in the adds, sounds like hook for the upsell. How much to get all of the training? Isn't CA a tax deed state? 

      So the $ he makes from training is going to right the ship? Really?

      To say that no one thought % rates would go up is obtuse at best, shouldn't a GP have at least a rudimentary understanding of economics?

      Saying others have done worse things is a childish argument, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

      Isn't there a verse "the love of money is the root of all things evil?

      If it walks n quacks like a duck...its a duck.

      • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
        Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Alan F.:

        I see BT has FREE tax lien training at several locations around the greater Sacramento area. Free is capitalized in the adds, sounds like hook for the upsell. How much to get all of the training? Isn't CA a tax deed state? 

        So the $ he makes from training is going to right the ship? Really?

        To say that no one thought % rates would go up is obtuse at best, shouldn't a GP have at least a rudimentary understanding of economics?

        Saying others have done worse things is a childish argument, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

        Isn't there a verse "the love of money is the root of all things evil?

        If it walks n quacks like a duck...its a duck.


        wow  yes thats a feeder event and it looks like  BT is really just putting his name out with as many guru Niches that he can ??? The tax lien guys know CA OR WA etc are not tax lien so they try to tell folks they can buy over the counter and make millions  as long as you buy my program.. The feeder event will sign up folks for the 2k weekend event and then on from there with the goal to get 20 to 30k out of a mark.

        This is the exact thing That Dorkin hated and started BP to warn folks. 
      • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
        Quote from @Alan F.:

        I see BT has FREE tax lien training at several locations around the greater Sacramento area. Free is capitalized in the adds, sounds like hook for the upsell. How much to get all of the training? Isn't CA a tax deed state? 

        So the $ he makes from training is going to right the ship? Really?

        To say that no one thought % rates would go up is obtuse at best, shouldn't a GP have at least a rudimentary understanding of economics?

        Saying others have done worse things is a childish argument, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

        Isn't there a verse "the love of money is the root of all things evil?

        If it walks n quacks like a duck...its a duck.


        wow  yes thats a feeder event and it looks like  BT is really just putting his name out with as many guru Niches that he can ??? The tax lien guys know CA OR WA etc are not tax lien so they try to tell folks they can buy over the counter and make millions  as long as you buy my program.. The feeder event will sign up folks for the 2k weekend event and then on from there with the goal to get 20 to 30k out of a mark.

        This is the exact thing That Dorkin hated and started BP to warn folks. 

         Bingo.....therll be a rags to riches initial presenter....a little build up....then the star, maybe a little freebie n lunch, then "opportunities" for ongoing training.

        Who know maybe a flipping program in the future, repleat with bus tour.

      • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
        Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Alan F.:
        Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
        Quote from @Alan F.:

        I see BT has FREE tax lien training at several locations around the greater Sacramento area. Free is capitalized in the adds, sounds like hook for the upsell. How much to get all of the training? Isn't CA a tax deed state? 

        So the $ he makes from training is going to right the ship? Really?

        To say that no one thought % rates would go up is obtuse at best, shouldn't a GP have at least a rudimentary understanding of economics?

        Saying others have done worse things is a childish argument, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

        Isn't there a verse "the love of money is the root of all things evil?

        If it walks n quacks like a duck...its a duck.


        wow  yes thats a feeder event and it looks like  BT is really just putting his name out with as many guru Niches that he can ??? The tax lien guys know CA OR WA etc are not tax lien so they try to tell folks they can buy over the counter and make millions  as long as you buy my program.. The feeder event will sign up folks for the 2k weekend event and then on from there with the goal to get 20 to 30k out of a mark.

        This is the exact thing That Dorkin hated and started BP to warn folks. 

         Bingo.....therll be a rags to riches initial presenter....a little build up....then the star, maybe a little freebie n lunch, then "opportunities" for ongoing training.

        Who know maybe a flipping program in the future, repleat with bus tour.


        When I was a back room Vendor for Montalongo operation ( I was providing non recurse loans for his students that wanted to use IRA to buy rentals) I went to many of the big events and went on the bus rides as well. it was a big mix of folks and you could just tell many would never ever use what they learned.. And they would come to the realization then come back to our booth and say you know this house flippping is hard I just want to buy a rental :) Great business for me personally loans were solid 
    • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
      1mo

      @Shiloh Lundahl

      I'm going to guess you weren't here before BT showed up? 

      This place was better before him and so were the podcasts. 

      I never liked BT on the podcasts and if you did - glad he was your cup of tea. To me, it didn't seem like he knew what he was doing based on how he carried himself on the early podcasts I listened to. I quit listening to them, because to me, he talked way too much and was leaning on being so extroverted to compensate for what seemed to me, a lack of knowledge. 

      From what I can tell, he has been gone for more than 5 years and the place is still standing in his absence. Hopefully new investors do their homework. 

      • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
        Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Ed O.:

        @Shiloh Lundahl

        I'm going to guess you weren't here before BT showed up? 

        This place was better before him and so were the podcasts. 

        I never liked BT on the podcasts and if you did - glad he was your cup of tea. To me, it didn't seem like he knew what he was doing based on how he carried himself on the early podcasts I listened to. I quit listening to them, because to me, he talked way too much and was leaning on being so extroverted to compensate for what seemed to me, a lack of knowledge. 

        From what I can tell, he has been gone for more than 5 years and the place is still standing in his absence. Hopefully new investors do their homework. 


        I've only been on the site for 10 years.  But I have been around long enough to see the evolution and I have gathered a lot of information about the history of the channel and company before I became a member in 2016. I would say that the peak performance of BiggerPockets was between 2015 and 2020.  I don't believe they published the podcasts before Brandon joined.  Unless you know of a place where they stored the older pre-Brandon podcast recordings.

    • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 12 votes
      1mo

      There is a lot of interesting discussion on this topic, but I would like to go back to James Wise’s initial question. Should someone who just lost $15M of investor capital, who has several other deals in trouble, be selling a course targeted to new investors titled “Careful Investors Often Miss the Biggest Opportunities”. Additionally, he may be doing this to raise money to help provide funding to his current deals that are struggling.

      I have no issues with BT helping people buy their first rental property, or him getting paid to do this. I also don’t know him and can’t comment on him as a person or his character. However, I have listened to many of his podcasts and read two of his books. My perception is that he is overly optimistic and downplayed the hard work and risks involved with real estate. The message I heard from him was just buy cash flowing properties, collect the income, quit your job, watch your wealth grow and this would only take a few hours a week. It is easy and anyone can do it. I think that is selling a dream that few people will achieve. If he is honest, talks about both his successes and failures, clearly identified the risks and lets people know they may need to start a second job to pay for their real estate losses, then it may be a good course. Based on the title I don’t think so.

    • Flipper/Rehabber · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 462 posts · 237 votes
      1mo
      James, he addressed the 4+ million as cost of doing business. I don’t know what it takes to run a high level company but I know how expensive it is to run my company and it’s not cheap. Every investment is not guaranteed. No one put a gun to the heads of these investors. No one said’ hey put all your life savings here’ I’d assume that the people we’re accredited investors, so if they put more than 10% of their net worth then that is not his fault. His fault is all the money he/his company lost. Hey he can do anything he wants, whether anyone will buy a course from a guy who loses all that money will be the test. We shall see
      • Dan H.Pro Member
        Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Tim Hall:
        James, he addressed the 4+ million as cost of doing business. I don’t know what it takes to run a high level company but I know how expensive it is to run my company and it’s not cheap. Every investment is not guaranteed. No one put a gun to the heads of these investors. No one said’ hey put all your life savings here’ I’d assume that the people we’re accredited investors, so if they put more than 10% of their net worth then that is not his fault. His fault is all the money he/his company lost. Hey he can do anything he wants, whether anyone will buy a course from a guy who loses all that money will be the test. We shall see

         He (the offering) is accused of obtaining this $4.4m by implying a purchase pride $4.4m more than the actual purchase price.   Assuming the accusation is true, this is very different than stating operators are keeping $4.4m for putting the deal together.

        In addition he is accused of inflating occupancy levels implying a higher valuation than reality.

        I do not care if they invested as an accredited investor, if the offering material was deceitful then the investment is tainted.   The offering has to be as accurate as possible especially on black and white data such as acquisition price or occupancy levels.   We all know and recognize forecasts can be off, sometimes substantially off.   That is not what I am referring to.  I am referring to outright deceitful info.

        Let’s do a scenario that is simply to show the issue:

        Your parents are approaching retirement.  They recently achieved accredited investor because the stock market has done out standing the last 5 years.   Their retirement investments recently surpassed $1m.   They have been looking at investment opportunities to diversify and hopefully accelerate their returns.  They see the open door capital offering.  The offering looks promising to them so they invest $100k.   They end up loosing a significant amount of money but then learn that the operators obscured getting $4.4m up front by misrepresenting the purchase price.  They learn the offering indicated a false occupancy level to indicate an inflated valuation.   What would you think of the operators?

        If the accusations are true, Brandon should be held responsible.

      • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
        Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Dan H.:
        Quote from @Tim Hall:
        James, he addressed the 4+ million as cost of doing business. I don’t know what it takes to run a high level company but I know how expensive it is to run my company and it’s not cheap. Every investment is not guaranteed. No one put a gun to the heads of these investors. No one said’ hey put all your life savings here’ I’d assume that the people we’re accredited investors, so if they put more than 10% of their net worth then that is not his fault. His fault is all the money he/his company lost. Hey he can do anything he wants, whether anyone will buy a course from a guy who loses all that money will be the test. We shall see

         He (the offering) is accused of obtaining this $4.4m by implying a purchase pride $4.4m more than the actual purchase price.   Assuming the accusation is true, this is very different than stating operators are keeping $4.4m for putting the deal together.

        In addition he is accused of inflating occupancy levels implying a higher valuation than reality.

        I do not care if they invested as an accredited investor, if the offering material was deceitful then the investment is tainted.   The offering has to be as accurate as possible especially on black and white data such as acquisition price or occupancy levels.   We all know and recognize forecasts can be off, sometimes substantially off.   That is not what I am referring to.  I am referring to outright deceitful info.

        Let’s do a scenario that is simply to show the issue:

        Your parents are approaching retirement.  They recently achieved accredited investor because the stock market has done out standing the last 5 years.   Their retirement investments recently surpassed $1m.   They have been looking at investment opportunities to diversify and hopefully accelerate their returns.  They see the open door capital offering.  The offering looks promising to them so they invest $100k.   They end up loosing a significant amount of money but then learn that the operators obscured getting $4.4m up front by misrepresenting the purchase price.  They learn the offering indicated a false occupancy level to indicate an inflated valuation.   What would you think of the operators?

        If the accusations are true, Brandon should be held responsible.


        undisclosed mark up is illegal / criminal if that happened then there will be or should be lawsuits a many
      • Dan H.Pro Member
        Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
        Quote from @Dan H.:
        Quote from @Tim Hall:
        James, he addressed the 4+ million as cost of doing business. I don’t know what it takes to run a high level company but I know how expensive it is to run my company and it’s not cheap. Every investment is not guaranteed. No one put a gun to the heads of these investors. No one said’ hey put all your life savings here’ I’d assume that the people we’re accredited investors, so if they put more than 10% of their net worth then that is not his fault. His fault is all the money he/his company lost. Hey he can do anything he wants, whether anyone will buy a course from a guy who loses all that money will be the test. We shall see

         He (the offering) is accused of obtaining this $4.4m by implying a purchase pride $4.4m more than the actual purchase price.   Assuming the accusation is true, this is very different than stating operators are keeping $4.4m for putting the deal together.

        In addition he is accused of inflating occupancy levels implying a higher valuation than reality.

        I do not care if they invested as an accredited investor, if the offering material was deceitful then the investment is tainted.   The offering has to be as accurate as possible especially on black and white data such as acquisition price or occupancy levels.   We all know and recognize forecasts can be off, sometimes substantially off.   That is not what I am referring to.  I am referring to outright deceitful info.

        Let’s do a scenario that is simply to show the issue:

        Your parents are approaching retirement.  They recently achieved accredited investor because the stock market has done out standing the last 5 years.   Their retirement investments recently surpassed $1m.   They have been looking at investment opportunities to diversify and hopefully accelerate their returns.  They see the open door capital offering.  The offering looks promising to them so they invest $100k.   They end up loosing a significant amount of money but then learn that the operators obscured getting $4.4m up front by misrepresenting the purchase price.  They learn the offering indicated a false occupancy level to indicate an inflated valuation.   What would you think of the operators?

        If the accusations are true, Brandon should be held responsible.


        undisclosed mark up is illegal / criminal if that happened then there will be or should be lawsuits a many

         Supposedly direct from the disclosure (I have not personally verified): 

        "Offering Price: The price of the Class A and B Units offered has been arbitrarily established by HEIGHTS ON KATY, LLC, considering such matters as the state of the Company's business development and the general condition of the development, construction and multifamily residential industry in which it operates. The Offering price bears little relationship to the assets, net worth, or any other objective criteria of value applicable to HEIGHTS ON KATY, LLC." (page 27 of 153).

        translation from the person who wrote the linked in article that I posted the link to earlier:
         “We made the price up. And there’s nothing you can do about it. We see no correlation between value and price, so go pound sand.”

        As indicated, I suspect no one likely interpreted that to mean that there was a not clear $4.4m delta between actual price and price the investors were charged.

        @Stuart Udis Not sure who has time to read 153 pages of disclosures and not sure how many pages in the pitch deck to confirm the purchase price claim.   Is the $4.4m real?  Is it clearly communicated?   Is there really a significant occupancy discrepancy (reality is occupancy can legitimately change monthly)?  If I see an occupancy listed, my expectation is it recently had that occupancy and is not significantly different today (but not necessarily the same).

        I agree with your take on the LPs seemed to be at the lower level of experience and some not have an understanding of leverage and its potential consequences.  This is foreign to me, but I saw the thread where an investor indicated this.  How did he think homes were upside down as was prevalent at GFC (and starting to be a factor again).  BT’s name recognition resulted in the lower lp syndication experience.   I do not consider this to have to have been intentional targeting, but it is easy to envision why it happened.

        btw I do not find the time it has been as shocking.  The morris scam had posts about issues for years before the full details came to light

        I hope the accusations are unfounded, but I lean toward believing them (but try to be clear they are currently accusations and not proven).

      • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
        Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Dan H.:
        Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
        Quote from @Dan H.:
        Quote from @Tim Hall:
        James, he addressed the 4+ million as cost of doing business. I don’t know what it takes to run a high level company but I know how expensive it is to run my company and it’s not cheap. Every investment is not guaranteed. No one put a gun to the heads of these investors. No one said’ hey put all your life savings here’ I’d assume that the people we’re accredited investors, so if they put more than 10% of their net worth then that is not his fault. His fault is all the money he/his company lost. Hey he can do anything he wants, whether anyone will buy a course from a guy who loses all that money will be the test. We shall see

         He (the offering) is accused of obtaining this $4.4m by implying a purchase pride $4.4m more than the actual purchase price.   Assuming the accusation is true, this is very different than stating operators are keeping $4.4m for putting the deal together.

        In addition he is accused of inflating occupancy levels implying a higher valuation than reality.

        I do not care if they invested as an accredited investor, if the offering material was deceitful then the investment is tainted.   The offering has to be as accurate as possible especially on black and white data such as acquisition price or occupancy levels.   We all know and recognize forecasts can be off, sometimes substantially off.   That is not what I am referring to.  I am referring to outright deceitful info.

        Let’s do a scenario that is simply to show the issue:

        Your parents are approaching retirement.  They recently achieved accredited investor because the stock market has done out standing the last 5 years.   Their retirement investments recently surpassed $1m.   They have been looking at investment opportunities to diversify and hopefully accelerate their returns.  They see the open door capital offering.  The offering looks promising to them so they invest $100k.   They end up loosing a significant amount of money but then learn that the operators obscured getting $4.4m up front by misrepresenting the purchase price.  They learn the offering indicated a false occupancy level to indicate an inflated valuation.   What would you think of the operators?

        If the accusations are true, Brandon should be held responsible.


        undisclosed mark up is illegal / criminal if that happened then there will be or should be lawsuits a many

         Supposedly direct from the disclosure (I have not personally verified): 

        "Offering Price: The price of the Class A and B Units offered has been arbitrarily established by HEIGHTS ON KATY, LLC, considering such matters as the state of the Company's business development and the general condition of the development, construction and multifamily residential industry in which it operates. The Offering price bears little relationship to the assets, net worth, or any other objective criteria of value applicable to HEIGHTS ON KATY, LLC." (page 27 of 153).

        translation from the person who wrote the linked in article that I posted the link to earlier:
         “We made the price up. And there’s nothing you can do about it. We see no correlation between value and price, so go pound sand.”

        As indicated, I suspect no one likely interpreted that to mean that there was a not clear $4.4m delta between actual price and price the investors were charged.

        @Stuart Udis Not sure who has time to read 153 pages of disclosures and not sure how many pages in the pitch deck to confirm the purchase price claim.   Is the $4.4m real?  Is it clearly communicated?   Is there really a significant occupancy discrepancy (reality is occupancy can legitimately change monthly)?  If I see an occupancy listed, my expectation is it recently had that occupancy and is not significantly different today (but not necessarily the same).

        I agree with your take on the LPs seemed to be at the lower level of experience and some not have an understanding of leverage and its potential consequences.  This is foreign to me, but I saw the thread where an investor indicated this.  How did he think homes were upside down as was prevalent at GFC (and starting to be a factor again).  BT’s name recognition resulted in the lower lp syndication experience.   I do not consider this to have to have been intentional targeting, but it is easy to envision why it happened.

        btw I do not find the time it has been as shocking.  The morris scam had posts about issues for years before the full details came to light

        I hope the accusations are unfounded, but I lean toward believing them (but try to be clear they are currently accusations and not proven).


        I think if this just goes away without any LP lawsuits that will kind of answer the question. If you recall Morris and his shady partner ( who ended up in prison) got sued many times and Morris decamped to Portugal to escape civil litigation.. 
      • Flipper/Rehabber · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 462 posts · 237 votes
        1mo

        @Dan H. You make some great points and you're absolutely correct when you suggest there is deceitful practice instead of investments going bad. I do think in these circumstances that I would take the time to do my own due diligence read the small print especially if my Hard money is on the line. if the Properties price is inflated

    • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
      1mo
      As you keep calling me uneducated,  you weren't worth  time looking this up. I had read this in the past and fate brought it to me.

      They say in life, never meet your heroes. 

      Meet Brandon Turner.  

      @Jamie Parker

      https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/960/topics/1265071-did-...

      • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
        1mo

        @Ed O.

        If said anything that called you uneducated, that isn't my intention. I apologies because that is not my intention in this discussion. 


        What I was saying is that this conversation could be had in a way that brings light to what pitfalls occur in syndication because there are tons of similar deals in the market right now. I was hoping to be educated more and you dropped the link to more information, I will give it a look and see if its new information that I haven't heard. 

        I did see this also:

        Barry Minkow has been convicted and served three separate prison terms

        1. Accounting and securities fraud - ZZZZ Best

        2. Stock market manipulation - Lennar

        3. Church fraud and embezzlement as a pastor -

    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
      1mo

      My general thoughts on some of the conversation:

      1. If someone told me they were selling training in order to make money to prevent other deals they owned from collapsing I can't imagine buying the training. And in some ways it seems to me dishonest, a type of stealing from one group to pay off another group. I don't disparage efforts to prevent investors from losing their investment but I wouldn't feel right about hooking and selling inexperienced people to do so. 

      2. The podcast did well with Brandon because of Josh, not in spite of Josh. He was a good counterbalance to what would have otherwise been something that would have felt like a guru pitch. They had a good chemistry for a podcast. 

      3. The whole point of BP was to limit the damage of gurus and people who use their name and notoriety to fleece people either honestly or dishonestly. One of the reasons I believe Brandon likely left BP is that he wasn't going to be able to do any of the fund raising, guru-type stuff and be a BP personality at the same time. 

      4. Requiring someone be an accredited investor doesn't give anyone a free pass to deceive anyone, purposely or otherwise. Brandon may have been the victim of bad luck or bad timing but no one should deny that he was able to use his notoriety to pitch deals that were only realistic under perfect conditions, and that as deals commenced it was obvious that investors who should theoretically know better (because they have money, which shouldn't be a signal that they understand investing) likely gave him a pass because they assumed no one with Brandon's name would deceive them. You can say "Buyer beware", and that's true, but it is not a good sign of your moral or ethical compass if you take advantage of that tendency. 

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
      • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @JD Martin:

        My general thoughts on some of the conversation:

        1. If someone told me they were selling training in order to make money to prevent other deals they owned from collapsing I can't imagine buying the training. And in some ways it seems to me dishonest, a type of stealing from one group to pay off another group. I don't disparage efforts to prevent investors from losing their investment but I wouldn't feel right about hooking and selling inexperienced people to do so. 

        2. The podcast did well with Brandon because of Josh, not in spite of Josh. He was a good counterbalance to what would have otherwise been something that would have felt like a guru pitch. They had a good chemistry for a podcast. 

        3. The whole point of BP was to limit the damage of gurus and people who use their name and notoriety to fleece people either honestly or dishonestly. One of the reasons I believe Brandon likely left BP is that he wasn't going to be able to do any of the fund raising, guru-type stuff and be a BP personality at the same time. 

        4. Requiring someone be an accredited investor doesn't give anyone a free pass to deceive anyone, purposely or otherwise. Brandon may have been the victim of bad luck or bad timing but no one should deny that he was able to use his notoriety to pitch deals that were only realistic under perfect conditions, and that as deals commenced it was obvious that investors who should theoretically know better (because they have money, which shouldn't be a signal that they understand investing) likely gave him a pass because they assumed no one with Brandon's name would deceive them. You can say "Buyer beware", and that's true, but it is not a good sign of your moral or ethical compass if you take advantage of that tendency. 

         ...And in some ways it seems to me dishonest, a type of stealing from one group to pay off another group...

        I couldn't agree with you more on this characterization. Like I am not gonna say he's running a Ponzi scheme or anything, but it feels kinda Ponzi Adjacent. Which is pretty wild considering Brandon Turner's only crafting businesses that are "God's will." 

      • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
        1mo

        @JD Martin 

        selling of other courses makes me ask, "is that better than selling off some of his properties"?  But the Venture Capital/Hedge Fund exit strategy seems like the highest and best out come on his Celebrity. He probably already agreed to do that as a contingency of things going bad. Maybe this was the play the entire time. 

        Because Real Estate as a whole isnt as "sexy" I think he is gonna have a hard time pulling it off. 

      • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Jamie Parker:

        @JD Martin 

        selling of other courses makes me ask, "is that better than selling off some of his properties"?  But the Venture Capital/Hedge Fund exit strategy seems like the highest and best out come on his Celebrity. He probably already agreed to do that as a contingency of things going bad. Maybe this was the play the entire time. 

        Because Real Estate as a whole isnt as "sexy" I think he is gonna have a hard time pulling it off. 


         He's already spoken on the idea of selling properties to pay back his investors. He can't/ won't because he claims he's got no equity / there won't be anything left after paying off the loans.

      • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 404 posts · 131 votes
        1mo
        Quote from @James Wise:
        Quote from @Jamie Parker:

        @JD Martin 

        selling of other courses makes me ask, "is that better than selling off some of his properties"?  But the Venture Capital/Hedge Fund exit strategy seems like the highest and best out come on his Celebrity. He probably already agreed to do that as a contingency of things going bad. Maybe this was the play the entire time. 

        Because Real Estate as a whole isnt as "sexy" I think he is gonna have a hard time pulling it off. 


         He's already spoken on the idea of selling properties to pay back his investors. He can't/ won't because he claims he's got no equity / there won't be anything left after paying off the loans.


        Thats a great point, i didnt see that one. I did see that he didnt make much cashflow on his properties. That was 2-3 years ago. I didnt understand the context at the time. but yea it makes sense. 

    • Stuart UdisPro Member
      Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1mo

      @JD Martin Pertaining to #3 on your list, do you still believe that is the case? Looking at the speaker lineup for the upcoming BPCON, there is a heavy dose of guru personalities. Their messaging is good for the BiggerPockets business model. Guru content attracts more users, which translates into more paid memberships and more advertising dollars from vendors.

      All you need to do is look at what the forums have become. So many posts are simply seeking validation for whatever guru lesson someone picked up that day. How many of those people would be paying BiggerPockets members without the guru messaging that has created the perception that real estate investing is easy?

    • Stuart UdisPro Member
      Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1mo

      @Dan H. I believe it is fair to be critical of Brandon and ODC’s role in the syndications, their capital raising, and the representations made to investors. But don’t you think it is crazy after years of posts, there are still merely rumors about $4.4 million in allegedly ill-gotten funds and inflated occupancy levels? There are tax returns, rent ledgers, settlement statements, PPMs, operating agreements, and other records that should make these claims verifiable.

      I keep going back to the ODC investor who genuinely believed the real estate value had to be reduced to zero for him to lose his entire investment and actually thought the properties had been reduced to a value of zero and that was why his investment was lost. This is not merely an ODC issue. The same misunderstanding appears repeatedly in posts from aggrieved LPs who did not understand what they were investing in. As a result, legitimate complaints become mixed together with claims that are not necessarily accurate.

      I just find it remarkable that after this much time and discussion, the central allegations have still not been substantiated.

    • Stuart UdisPro Member
      Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1mo

      @Josh C. You repeatedly say Brandon Turner took a $4 million fee. What exactly was disclosed in the PPM and Operating Agreement? What was the acquisition fee? Was there an ongoing asset management fee? Were salaries paid to staff? Were the sponsors reimbursed for due diligence costs, loan fees, legal expenses associated with the offering, or other closing costs? Was anyone compensated for raising the equity or arranging the debt?

      I have a hard time believing there was simply a $4 million fee with no accounting or disclosure explaining it. Are you referring to one specific fee, or are you combining several fees, expenses and reimbursements to reach that number? I am not picking on you, and I am certainly not defending how ODC conducted its business. However, these are the specific items an LP should be able to identify in the offering documents before claiming that Brandon Turner personally took a $4 million fee.

    • Stuart UdisPro Member
      Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1mo

      @Dan H.  The offering price has nothing to do with the purchase price of the real estate. This is common language found in PPMs that merely says the company decided what investors would pay for the Class A and Class B units or shares and that the price was not tied directly to the company’s assets. This language does not give the GP the right to increase the stated purchase price and keep the difference. 

      I understand PPM's and operating agreements can be long and burdensome documents. You do not have to personally read them, but if you are going to invest as an LP, you should understand what you are investing in. An attorney, or even someone familiar with syndications, can review the important sections. I am not defending how ODC handled this investment, but criticism should be based on accurate interpretation of their documents. Still, how is there no deed, settlement sheet, tax return etc. etc. that provides clear evidence of the $4M discrepancy? $4M in a real estate transaction doesn't merely disappear. 





      • Dan H.Pro Member
        Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
        1mo
        Quote from @Stuart Udis:

        @Dan H.  The offering price has nothing to do with the purchase price of the real estate. This is common language found in PPMs that merely says the company decided what investors would pay for the Class A and Class B units or shares and that the price was not tied directly to the company’s assets. This language does not give the GP the right to increase the stated purchase price and keep the difference. 

        I understand PPM's and operating agreements can be long and burdensome documents. You do not have to personally read them, but if you are going to invest as an LP, you should understand what you are investing in. An attorney, or even someone familiar with syndications, can review the important sections. I am not defending how ODC handled this investment, but criticism should be based on accurate interpretation of their documents. Still, how is there no deed, settlement sheet, tax return etc. etc. that provides clear evidence of the $4M discrepancy? $4M in a real estate transaction doesn't merely disappear. 

        >you are going to invest as an LP, you should understand what you are investing in. An attorney, or even someone familiar with syndications, can review the important sections.

        I agree but …

        I have taken multiple courses that included syndications and have read Brian Burke’s book on passive investing and still find the disclosures filled with gobbledygook.  Even the slide decks sometimes are difficult to understand.  Never the less, it is on the investor to understand the offering and risks prior to investing.

        >criticism should be based on accurate interpretation of their documents. Still, how is there no deed, settlement sheet, tax return etc. etc. that provides clear evidence of the $4M discrepancy? $4M in a real estate transaction doesn't merely disappear. 

        I agree but what I have seen in the past is the clear evidence takes a lot of time.  At this point there are only accusations and people who loose money are often quick to make accusations.  

         Morris was still placing offerings long after the earliest accusations.  He eventually fled the country but the entire process took years.

        Brandon seemed reputable on the podcasts.   It seems he wants to minimize his investor’s losses.  Even if the offering had misinformation, he may have been unaware.   None of this eliminates his responsibility as a named partner if the accusations are true.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.