No one will fill out screening form prior to showings… ideas why?

No one will fill out screening form prior to showings… ideas why?

Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 11 votes

I have recently listed my first rental unit (a LEGAL/permitted ADU in Utah.. many basement/in-law rentals here are definitely not legal/permitted) and am trying to pre-screen inquiries BEFORE scheduling showings with them. I tried to show first for a few weeks and it was simply a massive waste of time, between the no shows and unqualified applicants. But now I am unable to get any submissions after sending prospects my screening link which I created with google forms.

I know there are a lot of similar posts but I can’t get over some of the replies I’ve received after sending the form which asks (seemingly) standard/basic questions. I would greatly appreciate your feedback
-
“I see that (my google form…) is from a third party company - can you tell me more about it?”

-

”I went to fill the application but it seems a bit out of order in the steps of inquiring for an apartment (for me). I'd prefer to see if the place interests me first and have a genuine conversation. I also believe initial trust is best built and seen in person and then followed up/backed with the serious details of credit etc. to be sure someone is being authentic.“

-

”As a tenant - I would like to go and look at the property before filling out all of that information. I understand it helps deter people who aren’t serious, but for me, it isn’t worth the hassle when I found other places that were in the same price range that were willing to show me and have a conversation after, if we mesh well.”

____________________________________
My screening form questions are listed below. Would you say the form is doing its job and removing these people from the serious inquiries? Or am I missing out on potentially great renters by giving them a 2 minute “hassle” of a google form (in order to save myself hours of hassle)?

-Name/ Phone Number

-Desired Move in Date?
-Desired lease term? (6/12mo)

-Are you willing to undergo a credit and background check?

-Is there anything that may come up on these reports that we should be aware of?

-What is your estimated credit score (we have a minimum credit score limit of 620)

-Total number of occupants that will be moving in (including any children)?

-Annual Household Income (we have a minimum income limit of 3x rent)?

-Will you be able to provide proof of income for the last 2 years? (W-2,

-Have you filed for bankruptcy in the last 7 years?

-Does anyone in the household smoke? (This property does not allow smoking).

-Number of Pets (we allow a maximum of 2 pets)?

-Any additional information you'd like us to know or take into consideration about you.

3Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan H.Pro Member
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
3y

My experience is pre-screening questionnaires work where most LL require them and do not work where very few LL require them.  We do not require a pre-screen questionnaire because they are rate in our market.

We do not do individual showings.  We have an open house.  We send a reminder to each interested party about the open house an hour or two before the open house.  The open house creates a perceived frenzy that encourages immediate applications.  We virtually always get a qualified application in our first open house.  I will say that we are in a very low vacancy market where there are more tenants than available housing.  

During Covid we had to do individual showings.  

Our open house gets nearly everyone stating they will submit an application, but if they do not submit it immediately, I would estimate it is maybe 1 of 5 applicants get submitted.  Fortunately, about 25% submit applications immediately.  Our open houses are usually scheduled for 1.5 hours but we usually end up staying 2 hours.  We virtually always get a qualified applicant from the first open house.  Note to get a qualified applicant often requires more than applicant.  Even with charging for applying, we still have around 50% of applicants not meet out qualification standards.  Fortunately, we typically end up with 2 to 5 applications at the open house.

During the 1 on 1 showings during Covid, nearly everyone that showed up for their scheduled showing stated they would fill out an application.  About 1 in 10 filled out the application immediately.  Of those that did not submit application immediately, there was maybe 1 in 10 submitted an application later.  We confirmed with each potential applicant an hour or two before the showing and still had a high rate of no-show (maybe 30%).  It is incredible how many of the people who missed their appointment still desired to be re-scheduled for a showing.  We do not re-schedule as someone that does not make their appointment is not someone that we desire as a tenant.  I would estimate that we had 30 thirty minute scheduled showings (about 20 actual showings) to get a single qualified applicant (~50% of applicants qualify).  This amounts to 30 showings (20 who show up), 15 hours of scheduled showings (10 hours with tenant showing up), 2 applications received, one qualified application.  It is very inefficient compared to having an open house.  Without the perceived frenzy, we have a significantly lower rate of applications received.

It is critical to charge for application.  This reduces unqualified applicants.  It also reduces bogus ESA applicants if combined with an ESA policy.  Applicants do not want to spend $35 to find out that their application is rejected because they do not have a legitimate ESA.

Good luck

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y

    My experience is pre-screening questionnaires work where most LL require them and do not work where very few LL require them.  We do not require a pre-screen questionnaire because they are rate in our market.

    We do not do individual showings.  We have an open house.  We send a reminder to each interested party about the open house an hour or two before the open house.  The open house creates a perceived frenzy that encourages immediate applications.  We virtually always get a qualified application in our first open house.  I will say that we are in a very low vacancy market where there are more tenants than available housing.  

    During Covid we had to do individual showings.  

    Our open house gets nearly everyone stating they will submit an application, but if they do not submit it immediately, I would estimate it is maybe 1 of 5 applicants get submitted.  Fortunately, about 25% submit applications immediately.  Our open houses are usually scheduled for 1.5 hours but we usually end up staying 2 hours.  We virtually always get a qualified applicant from the first open house.  Note to get a qualified applicant often requires more than applicant.  Even with charging for applying, we still have around 50% of applicants not meet out qualification standards.  Fortunately, we typically end up with 2 to 5 applications at the open house.

    During the 1 on 1 showings during Covid, nearly everyone that showed up for their scheduled showing stated they would fill out an application.  About 1 in 10 filled out the application immediately.  Of those that did not submit application immediately, there was maybe 1 in 10 submitted an application later.  We confirmed with each potential applicant an hour or two before the showing and still had a high rate of no-show (maybe 30%).  It is incredible how many of the people who missed their appointment still desired to be re-scheduled for a showing.  We do not re-schedule as someone that does not make their appointment is not someone that we desire as a tenant.  I would estimate that we had 30 thirty minute scheduled showings (about 20 actual showings) to get a single qualified applicant (~50% of applicants qualify).  This amounts to 30 showings (20 who show up), 15 hours of scheduled showings (10 hours with tenant showing up), 2 applications received, one qualified application.  It is very inefficient compared to having an open house.  Without the perceived frenzy, we have a significantly lower rate of applications received.

    It is critical to charge for application.  This reduces unqualified applicants.  It also reduces bogus ESA applicants if combined with an ESA policy.  Applicants do not want to spend $35 to find out that their application is rejected because they do not have a legitimate ESA.

    Good luck

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    I do not think your questions are out of line. But I can also see why people would not want to provide some of this material facts before seeing the property, you are putting them on the defensive. I think a slight adjustment might better suit this goal. When some one inquires about the the ADU, maybe try sending this form and giving them a showing window. Let's say Saturday Jan 14 you will being doing showing, "to lock in a time to view the property please fill out and send back with your available times and I will provide you with a 30 min slot".

    Maybe this approach will change their mind set about filling out the form. They are not being told "no" before viewing, it just becomes their ticket to a time. 

    Name/ Phone Number & Email

    Desired Move in Date?
    Desired lease term? 6 or 12 Month or other,  please specify 

    I would also maybe reduce the number of questions.  I would change most questions to statements.  For instance I would state that a bankruptcy may not disqualify you, but a credit and background checks and a min score of 620 is required.

    and/or

    A income verification will be done and minimum income requirement of 3x times rent is required.

    and/or

    This is a smoke free property.

    and/or

    We allow 2 pet on a case by case.

    and/or

    For additional consideration please free feel to tell us about yourself or anyone else in your family that will be staying on the property.

    Sometime the approach is as important as the question.  Good Luck!

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Real Estate Coach · LandlordSkool.com · Member since 2017 · 111 posts · 88 votes
    3y

    Who is that third-party company you are using? I'd like to see the link because I think that company is the problem. I'm been requiring pre-screening surveys for years and never had that issue. There is a big difference between a rental application and a "pre" screening survey. You do not want to make it overwhelming to the prospective tenants, but you want it to have logic built in to disqualify bad leads automatically. If you're using a free survey platform, you will be limited. Here...  

    I made a video about this that might help you a bit—something to consider. Check it out and let me know what you think: 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Malachi P.:

    Yes, I think your questions are a little too much.

    If you were a professional, established property management company that customers can trust to protect their information, maybe it would work better. But I don't know any professionals that ask that many questions just to show the rental. 

    I tell them in the marketing that we require an application for each adult, the fee is $30 per application, we need verifiable income of 3x the rent, and we need a government issued photo ID. That's enough to screen out most people that aren't serious. On average, I probably show a rental less than five times before finding a qualified renter.

    Instead of using a form, consider a phone conversation with a few key questions. I think 3-5 should be sufficient (i.e. income, credit score, do you have pets, do you have a Landlord reference)

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    It's doing what you intended it to do, weeding out all the unqualified people. Why are you complaining? 

  • Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rene G.:

    Hey Rene, there is no “third-party” it’s simply a google form and the person seemed to misunderstand or be unfamiliar with google forms. I explained to them what it was and also gave them the option of applying straight through Zillow instead if they were more comfortable with that. They didn’t reply again.

  • Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dan H.:

    My experience is pre-screening questionnaires work where most LL require them and do not work where very few LL require them.  We do not require a pre-screen questionnaire because they are rate in our market.

    We do not do individual showings.  We have an open house.  We send a reminder to each interested party about the open house an hour or two before the open house.  The open house creates a perceived frenzy that encourages immediate applications.  We virtually always get a qualified application in our first open house.  I will say that we are in a very low vacancy market where there are more tenants than available housing.  

    During Covid we had to do individual showings.  

    Our open house gets nearly everyone stating they will submit an application, but if they do not submit it immediately, I would estimate it is maybe 1 of 5 applicants get submitted.  Fortunately, about 25% submit applications immediately.  Our open houses are usually scheduled for 1.5 hours but we usually end up staying 2 hours.  We virtually always get a qualified applicant from the first open house.  Note to get a qualified applicant often requires more than applicant.  Even with charging for applying, we still have around 50% of applicants not meet out qualification standards.  Fortunately, we typically end up with 2 to 5 applications at the open house.

    During the 1 on 1 showings during Covid, nearly everyone that showed up for their scheduled showing stated they would fill out an application.  About 1 in 10 filled out the application immediately.  Of those that did not submit application immediately, there was maybe 1 in 10 submitted an application later.  We confirmed with each potential applicant an hour or two before the showing and still had a high rate of no-show (maybe 30%).  It is incredible how many of the people who missed their appointment still desired to be re-scheduled for a showing.  We do not re-schedule as someone that does not make their appointment is not someone that we desire as a tenant.  I would estimate that we had 30 thirty minute scheduled showings (about 20 actual showings) to get a single qualified applicant (~50% of applicants qualify).  This amounts to 30 showings (20 who show up), 15 hours of scheduled showings (10 hours with tenant showing up), 2 applications received, one qualified application.  It is very inefficient compared to having an open house.  Without the perceived frenzy, we have a significantly lower rate of applications received.

    It is critical to charge for application.  This reduces unqualified applicants.  It also reduces bogus ESA applicants if combined with an ESA policy.  Applicants do not want to spend $35 to find out that their application is rejected because they do not have a legitimate ESA.

    Good luck

    Thanks! I will definitely consider open house format for those unwilling to submit the form. Hopefully I didn’t miss the opportunity for it though as I already lost the interest of many whom I sent the form to. 
  • Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    I do not think your questions are out of line. But I can also see why people would not want to provide some of this material facts before seeing the property, you are putting them on the defensive. I think a slight adjustment might better suit this goal. When some one inquires about the the ADU, maybe try sending this form and giving them a showing window. Let's say Saturday Jan 14 you will being doing showing, "to lock in a time to view the property please fill out and send back with your available times and I will provide you with a 30 min slot".

    Maybe this approach will change their mind set about filling out the form. They are not being told "no" before viewing, it just becomes their ticket to a time. 

    Name/ Phone Number & Email

    Desired Move in Date?
    Desired lease term? 6 or 12 Month or other,  please specify 

    I would also maybe reduce the number of questions.  I would change most questions to statements.  For instance I would state that a bankruptcy may not disqualify you, but a credit and background checks and a min score of 620 is required.

    and/or

    A income verification will be done and minimum income requirement of 3x times rent is required.

    and/or

    This is a smoke free property.

    and/or

    We allow 2 pet on a case by case.

    and/or

    For additional consideration please free feel to tell us about yourself or anyone else in your family that will be staying on the property.

    Sometime the approach is as important as the question.  Good Luck!

    Thank you. I have been trying to find ease to condense it and reduce “questions” this helps a lot!
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Malachi P.:
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    I do not think your questions are out of line. But I can also see why people would not want to provide some of this material facts before seeing the property, you are putting them on the defensive. I think a slight adjustment might better suit this goal. When some one inquires about the the ADU, maybe try sending this form and giving them a showing window. Let's say Saturday Jan 14 you will being doing showing, "to lock in a time to view the property please fill out and send back with your available times and I will provide you with a 30 min slot".

    Maybe this approach will change their mind set about filling out the form. They are not being told "no" before viewing, it just becomes their ticket to a time. 

    Name/ Phone Number & Email

    Desired Move in Date?
    Desired lease term? 6 or 12 Month or other,  please specify 

    I would also maybe reduce the number of questions.  I would change most questions to statements.  For instance I would state that a bankruptcy may not disqualify you, but a credit and background checks and a min score of 620 is required.

    and/or

    A income verification will be done and minimum income requirement of 3x times rent is required.

    and/or

    This is a smoke free property.

    and/or

    We allow 2 pet on a case by case.

    and/or

    For additional consideration please free feel to tell us about yourself or anyone else in your family that will be staying on the property.

    Sometime the approach is as important as the question.  Good Luck!

    Thank you. I have been trying to find ease to condense it and reduce “questions” this helps a lot!

     Hope your get a well qualified tenant!

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Lender · Columbus · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 103 votes
    3y

    Hi.

    I had this with a few tenants as well.

    What i would suggest to make things more personal is possibly doing a video using Youtube, Loom, Vimeo etc to go through the property, neighborhood and the process to move forward.


    This will have the potential tenant feel "warmer" and also have it seem like you gave them something (more detailed info) so that they will feel some reciprocity and send it all back to you.


    The problem seems to be that the data you are providing in the listing doesnt answer enough questions or create enough of an emotional pull for them to make a decision.

    Just my two cents hope it helps

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    I don't think your form is unreasonable, maybe a little too long....I would turn some of these questions into statements. Like this -

    -Name/ Phone Number/Email

    -Desired Move in Date

    -Total number of occupants that will be moving in (including any children)

    -Lease Term is 12mo

    We require a Credit and Background check/Minimum Credit score of 620/Income must be 3X rent/No bankruptcies/No smoking/ Maximum 2 Pets

    -

  • Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    Thanks Paul! We do have a video but haven't found many listing sites that allow us to upload it. Do you have any recommendations? Or do you just link the video in the description? 

  • Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    Thank you, I have definitely been looking to condense it!
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    Why have them fill out anything? It's an extra step that obviously isn't working!

    Maybe try to just send them your qualifications and ask them to confirm they understand by replying to schedule a showing.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    Hi Malachi, 

    I always call each prospective applicant and have a ~5-minute conversation. I open the call by saying that I'm delighted that they are interested in the property and always start with "What's inspiring you to move right now and what are the most important features in your new home?" 


    This question does a couple things: 1) it is open ended and gets the prospective applicant talking about themselves. This is helpful because they will often answer many of the questions (for example, "it's me and my roommate and we're looking to move in by April1 ) so it doesn't leave me with so many questions to ask. 2) It gives me information about what is most important to them so I can be sure to highlight any characteristics of the apartment that match their most important desires. And 3) I listen for red flags that might come out during the conversation that wouldn't have come out through a set of questions. (For example, "My landlord decided not to renew my lease so I need to be out by the end of the month.") 4) It gives me the chance to make a personal connection from the start. I've heard that very few property managers or owners make calls, and it helps our business stand out. Once they come for the tour, we've already established a connection so there is typically more rapport from the get-go than there would have been without the phone call.

    After the person has finished answering those first open-ended questions, I'll follow up with a few specific questions about desired move-in date and number of occupants, but I keep that brief and also focus on finding a date and time for the tour.

    If the person does not answer, I leave a voice message and follow up by email. Sometimes the person will call me back, sometimes email, sometimes text. All work fine for me, but I've still set myself apart and begun to establish a connection. 

    While a phone call takes slightly more time than an email (or receiving a form response), I find that I still save a lot of time on tours (I'm not going to schedule a tour for someone who is looking for an apartment in 6 months when the unit is available now, for example) while also converting more inquiries to tours than if I were only responding by email. 

    Also, we upload all our video tours to YouTube, then send the link to those who inquire. You're right that many platforms don't allow them, so including it in the response email is the best alternative. Again, another time saver because once I have talked with someone by phone and they've seen the video tour, they are usually using the in-person tour to seal the deal.

    Hope that helps. Good luck!

    Colleen Ebinger

  • Member since 2019 · 223 posts · 261 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    Why have them fill out anything? It's an extra step that obviously isn't working!

    Maybe try to just send them your qualifications and ask them to confirm they understand by replying to schedule a showing.

    I agree. If you're going to screen them anyway, What are you trying to accomplish with all this information just to show them the property. I would also refuse to fill out this form. Just tell them over the phone your requirements and tell them you're firm. This will weed out a lot of people. You're still going to get no shows, and people not really interested but that's part of the job.
  • New to Real Estate · South Texas · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    Hi Malachi,

    The pushback you're receiving from prospects regarding your screening link could be due to the amount of scammers circulating the internet nowadays. While not suitable for every circumstance, best practice is to try to look at things from the renter's perspective while comparing your listing to similar ones on the market. 

    If you were to come across two(or more) comparable listings in your area, and one landlord sent you a screening link from an unrelated website, while the others did not. Would you proceed to have full confidence the link and fill out the Google form asking you to provide personal information? A general rule of thumb for most is to report any emails/messages with seemingly suspicious links and drop them in your spam folder. This could be the reason you are now having trouble getting submissions. 

    Some possible alternatives, should you choose to do so— would be to directly communicate with the prospect via phone or in person. Doing so would provide you both with the opportunity to build trust, as mentioned in one of the prospect responses you received. You could also include a section titled "Requirements" in your listing. Under this section, you can simply state your terms (e.g. rent, utilities, security deposit, pet max., min. credit score, income, etc.) This will save both you and your prospective applicants from the additional step of filling out/reviewing the Google form.

    Hope this helps!

    -
    Mariel

     

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y

    I wouldnt fill out that questionnaire either. 

    I let anyone who wants to view the property view the property. I give them 2 times I will be at the property for a 1 hour time frame. One of those times will be a weeknight from 6-7pm. The other time will be on Saturday from 11-12. Anyone who wants to see it can come during those times. Cant come during those times, oh well.

  • Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    3y

     Thanks for the input!

  • Property Manager · Leominster, MA · Member since 2022 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    3y

    @Malachi P.

    1. We own & self manage 24 units

    2. We manage another 12 units for other owners

    We NEVER pre screen like this. We make the property as accessible as possible, price to the market & get the best pictures we can find. If we aren't attracting prospects we make adjustments quickly.

    Price - Pictures - Access. Managing these 3 components is the key to moving real estate.

    I hope this helps.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    I insist on a completed FREE application before showing. My ads have lots of pictures and I have the very nicest properties at every price point where I compete so this works for me. I find it reduces the number of applicants but almost all are highly qualified and willing to pay a little extra to have something extra nice. I only charge background check fees to "pre-qualified " applicants who I expect to pass. Most people appreciate not being charged unless they are at the top of the list.



  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Malachi P.:

    But now I am unable to get any submissions after sending prospects my screening link which I created with google forms.

    We have tried this approach several different ways over the years with the same level of success that you are experiencing, almost full non-compliance.

    Prospective tenants are gun shy of scams, as they should be, and are less willing to give up information about themselves. When we first started in this business, we would know quite a bit about anybody who was coming to view a rental before the showings as we would spend a lot of time on the phone with them beforehand; now, we know almost nothing about them until they apply. The trade-off is we do not do individual showings anymore. We only do group/open house-style showings.

    We do use a CRM system to track inquiries and leads of prospective tenants, which is tied to our inbound caller id. That has allowed us to accumulate data on serial tire-kickers, which saves us time in dealing with them but it also allows us to capture pieces of data when they interact with us or our web inquiry forms. 

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    I guess we're going to be trying Open house format next week and see what happens. Seems to be the general consensus here. Thanks! 

  • Little Falls, NJ · Member since 2014 · 87 posts · 49 votes
    3y

    I had the following on a recent listing and still had just under 200 inquiries from the Zillow manager. I noticed people just wanted a conversation to plead why their credit is bad or they just want to see the place in person. Also a lot of duplicate requests for showing in Zillow. I use Rent Redi, but never used them for listing.

  • Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    What's weird is we had the listing posted in August and many people filled it out. Had to take it down and clear up a few things and now that its back up, we aren't hearing back after sending the form.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.